You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo takes over a minute to open

It takes over a minute to open (WIN 7 with AP v. 1.6.2.97)

I read that my color settings may be wrong "WCS device profile" but I have no idea how to change it (if I could find it and knew what it was).  Others on the forums say it takes about 7 seconds?

That depends on the computer, the type of disc drive, memory and how many fonts you have, etc etc.

I have a Windows 7 machine with an i3 processor and normal disc drive. It also has a lot of fonts installed due to legacy programs. I would say around a minute is about right.

I also have a Win 10 machine with an i7 processor and SSD solid state disc. It is very new with fewer fonts. That probably takes about 7 seconds, maybe less. (I will time them both later and let you know).

I use Xara Designer and that is slower than Photo. Nothing seems to happen for ages, which causes concern sometimes. so I try again and it launches twice.:(

I would suggest you just leave things as they are. Maybe take up a hobby that takes you one minute :)

Edit.

I tested them and the i3 machine takes 36 seconds. Funny, it seems much longer when I am waiting for it.

The i7 takes 6 seconds. 

I guess that shows how much the technology has advanced in a few years (six times faster), especially with the SSD which I suspect is the main factor when launching, rather than the i7 processor. Although the RAM is faster too. However, I rarely notice any difference in processing performance when using Photo on the two machines.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Mines takes as a bit to load as well on an SSD. I'd say about 20-30 seconds (I haven't measured it exactly), but I don't have much issue with this right now as long as the program itself performs well. I figure as they optimize the software it'll improve over time.

I also have a gazillion fonts installed.

The Mac versions seem better optimized for quicker startup times, but at least in my experience they definitely take much longer to start up when a lot of fonts are enabled than when fewer are.

As a point of reference, on my not particularly high performance 2012 iMac with an iron drive, from a cold start (so nothing is cached in memory) it takes about 15-20 seconds to start up & initialize AP & even longer to start up AD, even with just a few fonts enabled. I am not sure why AD takes longer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

... I am not sure why AD takes longer.

If there are a bunch of used/imported third party styles, assets, brushes... it takes longer to start-up than usually in contrast to a fresh/virgin installed version.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2