You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rasterize spare channels after crop

Hi,

When cropping a document, the pixel content removed is only hidden and not removed. One needs to click on rasterize on each pixel layer to actually remove the cropped pixels. This is already pretty painful, and not clear what to do with pixel layers with adjustment child layers when you would like to keep the child layer, but remove cropped image area. Rasterize also bakes in the adjustment. However Spare Channels do not even have the rasterize option, so if you had any Spare Channels before cropping they retain hidden but stored pixels outside of your canvas. One problem is that these continue to consume memory and file size, but I have encountered another issue as well, as described below:

I had a sky with some electric wires to inpaint. I made a selection of the wires and saved to spare channel. I have cropped the image and rasterized the pixel layer. I returned to removing the wires by loading the spare channel to selection. This resulted in a selection partially outside of the canvas, which was not obvious at all, as the marching ants are only drawn inside of the canvas. When using inpaint with such a selection silly things happen, such as inpaint making the pixels transparent.

I see three alternate solutions to make the working of cropping consistent:

- Make crop have an option to remove the cropped content (preferred solution)

- Have a separate function in menu to remove all content (pixel, masks, embedded mask and spare channel content) that was cropped earlier.

- Have a context menu entry for spare channels to remove the cropped content (identical to rasterize for pixel layers)

Wouldn't Document->Clip Canvas take care of that for you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Wouldn't Document->Clip Canvas take care of that for you?

I take a RGBA/16 document with a single pixel layer in AF 1.6.1.93, use the crop tool from tool palette to remove the left half of the image and leave the right half only. This makes the pixels of the left side hidden. Then I click on Document->Clip Canvas and the whole original image is shown again as if I undo the crop. Am I missing something?

More likely I have failed to understand something, shojtsy. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1