You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill with pattern for Affinity Photo

Hi,

Just started using AP, but looks like I've already found one feature which would be useful indeed. (see here for details)

It would be really nice to have the possibility to use an image as a pattern in the gradient tool. At the moment, when selecting bitmap, it places only one copy of the image, and there's no option to have it repeated seamlessly.

45 minutes ago, Eirinn said:

Hi,

Just started using AP, but looks like I've already found one feature which would be useful indeed. (see here for details)

It would be really nice to have the possibility to use an image as a pattern in the gradient tool. At the moment, when selecting bitmap, it places only one copy of the image, and there's no option to have it repeated seamlessly.

Hello Eirinn,

yes you can. Select from the dropdown box next to 'Extend' the option 'Wrap'. Hope this helps :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

38 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello Eirinn,

yes you can. Select from the dropdown box next to 'Extend' the option 'Wrap'. Hope this helps :)

d.

This is only in designer, the op want's this option for photo

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

25 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

This is only in designer, the op want's this option for photo

Hi dutchshader,

I just tried to make sure. This option is in Affinity Photo available as well. I tried it on the latest Beta and the latest release version.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

9 minutes ago, dominik said:

I just tried to make sure. This option is in Affinity Photo available as well. I tried it on the latest Beta and the latest release version.

I don't see it in AP, either, dominik.

Can you provide a screenshot showing where you find that option for the gradient tool in AP, please, so I can see what I missed?

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see it in AP, either, dominik.

Can you provide a screenshot showing where you find that option for the gradient tool in AP, please, so I can see what I missed?

Thanks.

Hi walt.farrel,

see attached screenshot. I was using a random image for the fill so it is not a very nice pattern. But it should explain what it's supposed to do.

d.

5a450177515da_APfillpattern.thumb.png.bd5b9f89079d4ce589de510597ff5702.png

Thanks, @dominik.

I do not see that in AP unless I'm working in a .afdesign document. In any other kind of document I do not have the extend and quality options for the gradient tool and bitmaps.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, @dominik.

I do not see that in AP unless I'm working in a .afdesign document. In any other kind of document I do not have the extend and quality options for the gradient tool and bitmaps.

The first document I tried that was an .afdesign document. But then, to double check, I also created a blank .aphoto document, created a single rectangle and went to gradient fill. That worked, too.

I just tried again with a JPG file open in AP. It works.

What would be the difference between our two setups? Are you sure you have selected 'Bitmap' in the 'Type' selection drop down?

d.

The OP is trying to get this to work with a selection NOT a shape

On a shape it works

Are you using a shape or a selection dominik?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, dominik said:

What would be the difference between our two setups? Are you sure you have selected 'Bitmap' in the 'Type' selection drop down?

Yes, I selected Bitmap in the Type selection, so I have no idea why your setup is behaving differently than mine. Definitely strange.

-- Walt
PC:

Ah. Thanks, @carl123. That explains it.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

It works in photo in a shape the op wanted this in a selection.

I see. I was not aware that he was referring to a selection. I think it would not make much of a difference to outline a shape with the pen tool and then fill it with a bitmap.

There is now way to create a shape from a selection currently. But this is on the roadmap from what I read.

d.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

On a shape it works

Correct. I was using a shape, not a selection. As explained in my previous post it could be a workaround to fill a shape instead of a selection :)

d.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, I selected Bitmap in the Type selection, so I have no idea why your setup is behaving differently than mine. Definitely strange.

dutchshader and carl123 shed some light to this. Thank you :)

The OP wanted to fill a selection and this, indeed, does not work. It requires a shape to make the pattern fill work, though.

d.

Even with AD I think you may need a shape, not a selection, to get the extend option enabled.

-- Walt
PC:

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Even with AD I think you may need a shape, not a selection, to get the extend option enabled.

Yes, you are correct. The bitmap fill only works in a shape, which makes sense to me.

I am very much used to work with shapes even when doing a photo montage. I think this is one of the areas where AP and AD are very powerful.

The Designer roadmap mentions as a future feature 'Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape'. This will be very useful in regard to the OP's task.

d.

4 hours ago, dominik said:

Can't see that. Perhaps it's been released with the latest beta?

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

On a shape it works

Thanks for the explanation. I've tried with a shape and it's working as Dominik stated. Alas, that doesn't work on a selection.