You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is not working. Farewell

I love Affinity, I respect all the work you guys do, and I understand you have your marketing strategy and agenda to follow, but there are things that really puzzle me.

I have personally been posting in the latest beta thread several times about the highlights issue before I got a sign of feedback. On a separate thread, I asked for a possible feature to add. I wouldn't expect a promise, not even an estimation, just a feedback would be enough. Nothing.

I'm not sure anymore whether the strategy is to attract a wide audience or a niche. But then again, can't be the niche, because almost every peculiar requests from advanced users have been rejected (I don't want to go back and search for all the related threads, I'm sure who's been part of those requests knows what I'm talking about).

With the communication here on the forum and the struggling performance of the products, I decided to give up with the forum and take a break from the Affinity products. I haven't been posting anything for a while now and the feeling is great. I finally don't have to hold my breath expecting anything. Because loving a product, spending time testing it, trying to contribute to the forum and then seeing there's no response, doesn't feel good, and I realize perhaps there's too much attachment from my side, considered after all this is software we're talking about (although is not only that, but of course also the spirit behind it).

I hoped Affinity was the revolution I long awaited for. I would easily pay more for the product if it could fit my needs. Is not there yet (which is understandable) but also I don't see signs of keeping up with the premises. And this forum doesn't work either. It works if you are a newbie, then you receive prompt feedback, but if the requests go a step further than it gets stuck. Again, your resources are limited, I get that. What is really hard to understand is why you would create a product which such a potential and focus on a mass audience which actually needs a fraction of what you are trying to squeeze into your products. How many will develop 3D-32 EXR passes? So, why is it even there if you can't dedicate time to address issues because other basic problems come first? How many here are using the scope vector? Perhaps nobody.
Yes, there are other bugs and priorities that come first, more essential and basic things to get running before moving onto more advanced issues. So, why bother putting advanced features in the first place? I'm sure I can speak for some of us when I say I personally felt Affinity was going to be the answer we wanted when I saw those features being part of the package. Those features are what made me embrace it. But since you don't have any interest nor resources at the moment to focus on the hi-end side of the product, and considered posting on this forum can feel like hitting a wall, then I can give up altogether and hope someday you'll get there. It's been nice while it lasted, now it is time to move on.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I tell you, even a newbie can understand very quickly the problem you're talking about. I second your last paragraph, because I'm browsing the forum for one week now, and this paragraph fits all my thoughts about the forum and the soft (Designer).

And personally, it's pretty sad that the strategy of many companies is just:

- Well, many users of this soft X are tired because it's expensive and as it's a standard, they don't work on it and just pick up the money every year. We don't have the resources to compete with it, but we can "collect" 20%~30% of its customers because they just need the basis of the soft. Let's pick up up these customers with a cheap product. Profit.

Until next beta I'll use AD because it's an amazing program. But if I feel that the ambition of the company is not to compete with the biggest, just to be "good enough", I'll move on too, since another company will offer better alternative. And for the moment, I hesitate to continue with Inkscape. It's slow and its interface is terrible for many things, but soooo more advanced in many ways...

Andrew,  totally agree with you.  they made a lot of promisses what get fixed soon after the first release but never delivered but this did not hold them back from adding new features and now 2 years later most of the shortcomings are still there and it does not seem they get fixed soon.  very sad...