ByNine

Wacom Mobile Studio Pro - Screen Issues

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has experience any issue with Affinity Photo and on Wacom Mobile Studio Pro? I am running the top spec model and seem

to be getting a flicking black screen when doing simple tasks such as mask selection and painting. I know that most will say that this has to be a hardware issues given

Wacom recent track records and the mountains of complains. However, after some heavy testing and benchmarking, I can not recreate this issue in any other program including

all of Adobe's product line. To be clear, the screen does not become unresponsive; it simply turns off and then back on... for example if am painting a section masks and the screen

flickers during the stroke, the stroke will be completed properly.  Seems that there maybe an issue with how AP/AD is talking to the the GPU; I know that in Substance Painter I had to make and adjustment in regedit to prevent GPU hangs on Nvidia cards.

List of Programs I tested with no issues:

All done with same 2 million polygon model

ZBrush - Polypaint,BPR,Sculpting, General

3DCoat - PBR Rendering, Sculpting 

Blender - Sculpting, Viewport Rendering, Cycles Render

Photoshop - 8 Example from the Affinity Photo Workbook Core Skills sections

Substance Painter - Rendering, PBR

Maramoset Toolbag3 - Rendering

Unity Adam Demo

Fire strike Benchmark

Unigine Haven

There are more...but nothing in the above list had any issue running large or even the same files

Any advice would be helpful because at the moment, Affinity Photo is useless to me on this machine.

Thanks

Hmm hard to tell since personally I don't have any experiences with this Wacom Win computer like device. - Since you seemed to have circled the problem down to the comunication with the Nvidia GPU, you might look here if certain GPU driver settings and/or the Affinity app settings related to the GPU (...OpenGL vs Cuda etc.), possibly do might change that odd behaviour then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

18 hours ago, TineB said:

I've got the same problem. Did you solve it?

Right click on Affinity Photo/Designer the program icon; if in the context menu select the Quadro as the GPU or you can do it from the context menu properties panel. This seems to be a conflict with the application trying to use the intel GPU and it being underpowered. This is not a guaranteed fix due to the system not respecting the setting when you are on battery power... It has fixed it for me in most cases and I don't see it anymore. Last place you can try, is to go in the Nvidia control panel and set the the application options from there.

Thank you. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me.  With Wacom Link is everything perfect. Standalone I have a flicking black screen. I think I have to take more time to

experiment with the driver settings.

i am having the same issues with affinity designer on a wacom mobile studio pro 16, i have tried several video card drivers including the latest but still no solution. i only purchased designer recently and can only work in it for a short period before the screen starts flickering to black and then eventually the screen locks up and i have to force a reboot - all my other apps are stable.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:51 PM, Arthur Moody said:

i am having the same issues with affinity designer on a wacom mobile studio pro 16, i have tried several video card drivers including the latest but still no solution. i only purchased designer recently and can only work in it for a short period before the screen starts flickering to black and then eventually the screen locks up and i have to force a reboot - all my other apps are stable.

Arthur, I have stop using Photo on my mobile studio pro; As you say, everything else I use work just fine... I have even edited and color corrected 4k video in Resolve while on vacation. No one seems to know what the problem is or at this point really care, those that have the resources to fix it. I have stop using it on my MSP and moved back to Lightroom... At least on that machine.

I'm having this issue, too, and a little saddened that it doesn't seem like anything has been fixed. Has anything changed? If not, I guess I won't be using Affinity on my MobileStudio Pro. Everything else works fine, though. 

Hi all,

We managed to reproduce the issue. As ByNine said, the windows internal management is trying to switch between the 2 graphics cards. 

On 2/24/2018 at 2:23 PM, ByNine said:

Right click on Affinity Photo/Designer the program icon; if in the context menu select the Quadro as the GPU or you can do it from the context menu properties panel. This seems to be a conflict with the application trying to use the intel GPU and it being underpowered. This is not a guaranteed fix due to the system not respecting the setting when you are on battery power... It has fixed it for me in most cases and I don't see it anymore. Last place you can try, is to go in the Nvidia control panel and set the the application options from there.

We have successfully fixed the issue by going in the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings > Program Settings >  Add Affinity to the list, make it use "High Performance NVIDIA processor". This should fix any issue. 

I have logged this with our devs so we can get their view as well. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

This is fantastic, thank you so much for the super quick fix. I really wanted to buy affinity photo for my mobile studio pro, but this issue was holding me back... Thumb up for you guys! 

well recent updates had fixed the flickering screen on my wacom mobile studio with designer so decided to buy affinity photo - but i still flickering screen then locks up, i have photo added to the nvidia control panel and set to use the nvidia m1000.

anything else i can try to fix this issue?

arthur

On 6/8/2018 at 9:51 AM, GabrielM said:

We have successfully fixed the issue by going in the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings > Program Settings >  Add Affinity to the list, make it use "High Performance NVIDIA processor". This should fix any issue. 

Have you tried this? With both Photo and Designer.  

yes added both photo and designer to use the "High Performance NVIDIA processor" designer is now working as expected but photo is still exhibiting flickering screen with eventual lock up

did the devs ever find the cause/solution for this?

i have been having this issue on my MobileStudio Pro 16, and it appears to be getting worse - started off pretty rare, now it seems to be happening any time i have tried anything even remotely tasking to the CPU/GPU (including even just zooming and panning!). confirmed it is only happening for Affinity Photo, and only on this device.

i went into both the settings for Affinity and Nvidia and set the default to the GPU ("High Performance NVIDIA processor") to try to keep it from switching, and uninstalled/reinstalled both processors and updated the drivers, but it keeps happening.

all fingers are pointing to the software, now

i am really liking Affinity and really enjoying not having to continue to pay for a license for Adobe anymore, but this is really starting to impact my productivity...

Hey, same Problem :(
Did anyone solved it?

The only Feedback by support was run through this thread… :-/ 
Nice support...

Hey Affinity ! We would like to have a solution !
We already bought useless Software.

Sorry...I meant to update my post:

Looks like the issue is the MobileStudio Pro (unfortunately). I leaned off Affinity for a bit and started to really push it with big files in both Lightroom and Photoshop. Eventually it started happening in those programs too.

Looks like the issue actually is somewhere in the hardware. At this point, I am thinking that it is either fan/heat related, or a delay switching between GPUs - causing the screen to flicker, like when you re-calibrate your screen settings.

I wound up RMAing the MobileStudio, since mine was fortunately still under warranty, and should have it back from Wacom in the next few days. Hopefully, they will provide some more info. As it stands, I fully intend to continue using Affinity Photo and Designer, once I get it back.

@TheGooch , thank you very much for that info. :77_alien:

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.