You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make it a little different...

m-b

I understand.

This relates to the postings about why we photograph all. Bearing in mind how many images are out there already.

This is one of those occasions where a fresh eye may be seeing what the experienced one doe not.

The austerity of the original is maybe lost to you because you have seen the image in real life and photographs many times. To me it is 'new'.

It is one of the little internal battles photographers face when looking for subjects. I am dreadfully lazy now days and only photograph what is in front/around me at the time. Days of searching for the 'one shot' are  well gone.

Perversely it makes looking more important in that if I do not look carefully and take time to really see what is there I will not be taking any photographs at all.

Have a look at Ansley Adams later work with a little 35mm and small prime. His images get smaller and the observation more acute. Not relying on grandeur and size of print for impact but still drawing your eye and mind into his world.

There is a finite number of wonderful vistas out there but still the internal machinations of our own minds can make each and every recorded image personal and persuasive - If we look hard enough in the first place.

Regards

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

58 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

By the way, if your quote is correct it does seem a little odd that he attribute ownership of to a string of code. Book and cover!

That was me who related that to Art here, due to the book titles of that series and what Mr. Knuth writes in his books about algorithms and their findings etc. Though the book titles do speak for themselves here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

You never heard from Donald Knuth, aka Concrete Mathematics, TeX, Metafont ... etc. - Ok.

Or more pertinently The Art of Computer Programming.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Or more pertinently The Art of Computer Programming.

Yes, I already mentioned that initially, see here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Yes, I already mentioned that initially, see here.

Yes, I realized that as soon as I posted the message.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Once again - total agreement.

When you reach into any field of intellectual growth beyond what's is laughingly called known there is and always will be an element of art, of eccentric creativity; even (dare I say) luck.

So from the little (very little) I have gleaned this afternoon the title would seem most apt and accurate from the authors standpoint. So agreement on that.

My point, however, was that using an algorithm driven programme; especially one mixed with other algorithms and AI by just choosing the affect required is not art. Is it? I cannot for sure say; the user may have a depth of knowledge at or even beyond the Donald Knuth level. Most photographers do not - I would guess.

A grandiose visage produced by software operated in ignorance (not an insult - I am very ignorant in a lot of ways) will need an awful lot of justification to convince me that it is art. Of course I am open to that justification just not very susceptible.

For a few years I was responsible for operation and maintenance of a piece of equipment called a Data Logger. As far as can recall it was a converted mechanical switchboard in a box. Yup, you guessed it any early systems computer supposed to improve monitoring of a ships vitals. Luckily it responded to my hammer and screwdriver quite readily even when I had no idea why. If it stuck I hit it. Bit wobbled about too much I tightened a screw or twoxD. Got promoted out of harms way pretty quickly.

Anyway. I've forgotten how this started.

Have a good evening.

Regards. 

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

You have a sublime eye @m-b I love the addition of the elements and how you work them into the photo's.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...