Tupaia

Isolate mode improvements

Hello!

A few suggestions to make the Isolate mode actually usable:

- It should be possible to isolate multiple separate objects(=layers) at once.

As of now, if multiple layers are selected, ALT-clicking one of the selected layers isolates only this layer, not all of them!

Workaround: Group the objects, then isolate. This is not really practical, however.

Better than ALT-clicking: a separate command with assignable keyboard shortcut for 'Isolate'!

- Also, a better way to leave isolate mode than clicking empty space would be good!

Why? What if I have multiple objects(=layers) isolated and then want to select parts of them, to group, arrange, cut, or isolate further, ... not possible because the moment you click somewhere, you fall out of isolate mode.

-> There should be a separate command with assignable keyshort for 'Unisolate'.

An clean Isolate mode with this functionality is very important to master complex scenes, and in the meantime it is supported by practically all CAD, 3d, or 2d vector programs (Rhino, Cinema4d, 3ds max,  Softimage, Maya, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, ...), for good reasons!

Thanks for considering!

Best regards

Eugen

I double this notion of making it harder to exit isolation mode.
It would be heaps better if you couldn't exit isolation by clicking empty space since I often want to select sub objects inside the isolated object and it makes it hard to have to click-select each when it would be great to be able to simply draw a marquee around them (the minute you try the marquee, you're out of isolation). Maybe just "esc" key is used to exit isolation?

Damn, I'm loving the Affinity products, there's a few little quicker things they've done coming from Adobe that actually work really well.
This issue with the isolation mode still bugs the hell out of me. Anybody from Affinity considering this?

Anybody have any methods to get around this limitation?
If you have multiple objects made up of a fair few pieces grouped, how do people go about editing within those groups - do people really go in an shift+click each item? If there's a hundred items inside a group I find it annoying that I can't marquee select around a region to pickup a specific set of items.

If you're looking for a response from Serif, you probably won't get one. They generally do not comment on feature requests. They read them, and track them for future planning, but feature requests are mostly a one-way information flow, from the users to Serif.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

4 hours ago, Tupaia said:

There are countless topics the staff reacted to, however.

Topics, yes, in the bugs forums and the Q&A forums.

In the features requests forums, most often they do not respond.

But you're right; it's possible they'll respond to this one :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta