ehsral

Save failed because the file could not be written to.

Hi.

I am using Affinity designer 1.6.1.93:

I was working on a document on a windows network share, connected to by vpn. I had saved several times, but then the vpn connection went down. I tried to save (did not know the vpn was down yet), and got the following error from afinity designer:

Failed to save document: filename
Save failed because the file could not be written to.

I waited for the vpn to connect again, and when it had, I tried to save again. Got the same error from affinity designer. Checked that the network folder was writeable, and tried again. Same error. Used "save as", and changed the filename. Same error, but a zero length file with the new name was created on the network folder. Tried to "save as" on a local folder. Still I get the same error. So the file is unsaveable after a single broken network connection. 

I closed the document, ignoring the changes, and opened the document in the same instance of affinity designer. It then opened the document in read only mode, and insisted on "save as", when I chose "save". I did not want to risk to replace the saved document, so I closed Affinity Designer. I then opened the document again, in a fresh instance of Affinity Designer. Then, at last, I could save again.

I just thought you should know...

Hi @ehsral, unfortunately we require the file to exist when writing, as we don't fully load the file when you're working on it (some files can be many gigabytes in size, so it wouldn't be practical to load the entire file into memory).

I would advise writing the file to a local drive, and then transfer the file to VPN after saving.

I've had this problem too.

Affinity Designer should make a smart decision to use local temporary storage when the file is on a network drive and at risk for this scenario and then be able to offer some other option to the user other than a notice that the document is being closed with all work lost. For example, a better answer would be a "save as..." dialog allowing the use to save there work.

I am unable to use the save as file command in a windows 10 system using Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104

All I am trying to do is save an update of the file with a new name. File size is 36387KB

Thanks,

Colin

affinity file save as problem 20180425.JPG

Edited by colindarling
added screen shot of the Affinity Designer message

I have the same problem, but I cannot solve it in any way I tried. I have many AD & AF files and all of them are stored on Google drive. But I have no problem with many, I have problem with few "special" ones as those get stuck and no matter what I do the file cannot be saved once opened.

I have AP file on the remote disc and after failing to save under another name before making any changes to the file I download it on my local HD. So the file is on myy PC, but I can only open it and I'm unable to save it even the file has not connected to the remote file anymore. I got the same message and all I got as saved is a new 0 kb AF or Ad (empty) file with alternative file name.

I managed to copy few elements from the original file (saved on my local HD) and create a new file from the clipboard and finally managed to save it under another filename. But I need to recreate it piece by piece instead of just be able to save it.... so frustrating and without any obvious reason.

affinity save problem.PNG

On 5/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Where are you attempting to save to?

Please can we have a solution to this problem?  If there is no solution to the problem then please explain how we can get my money back as this software in that case does not work. 

Hi colindarling,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We do not recommend editing files directly from external drives/cards/NAS (network drives/storage) and cloud synchronised folders as this may lead to lost of work/data due to loss of connection or files changes (in synchronised folders). Affinity apps don't load the whole file to memory for performance reasons and require a permanent connection/access to the file to ensure incremental saves/changes work properly. If the connection to the original file is lost we lose access to the required non-loaded data (to memory) to save the file to another location.

Please use the internal system drive when working with affinity files. We are looking into ways to improve this.

I am not happy

I think you need to post a warning prior to purchase

or at least in the software to your customers

so we do not waste our time only to discover this fact after the event!

I am not content with this discovery about Affinity and, sad to say, I will not recommend it.

Consider it as a bug rather than as designed

It is not feasible, in this day and age,  that Serif would provide applications that cannot use networked drives, the cloud, etc

But how long until we get a bug fix for this may be something to be unhappy about as there are no time frames for when bugs get fixed or any notice of what priority a certain bug has been assigned. 

It could be fixed tomorrow or it could be 2 years away, we simply do not know.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

21 hours ago, carl123 said:

Consider it as a bug rather than as designed

It is not feasible, in this day and age,  that Serif would provide applications that cannot use networked drives, the cloud, etc

But how long until we get a bug fix for this may be something to be unhappy about as there are no time frames for when bugs get fixed or any notice of what priority a certain bug has been assigned. 

It could be fixed tomorrow or it could be 2 years away, we simply do not know.

We don't class the design of our file architecture as a bug (i.e. not needing to load the entire file memory, which allows you to work with massive multi-GB files), but we appreciate the closing of documents (and loss of work) is unacceptable, so we're working on methods to improve that.

Hi,

I am happy with Affinity Designer and work on it on many systems. However I now ran into the same error message (on win). I routinely work from Google File Stream, without a problem. This time, the error occured (#1 time) and I could also not "save as" somewhere else.

After a few moments of terror I found a way to fix my file. It boils down to finding the corrupted element and deleting it.

1. Create a new document, without artboard etc. big enough to copy-paste things over.
  2. Copy and paste the most vital layers or groups etc. Be broad, get half or a good chunk over.
  3. Save that new file.
  4. If the error occurs, you know that this chunk has some corrupted element.
  5. If not, get the next chunk over, and save and so on, until the error comes up.
  6. You then know which chunks have some corruption in them.
  7. Simply delete the last chunk and see if saving works.
  8. You can then refine that by undoing the delete-step (restore corrupted chunk), and delete fewer / less vital elements, then save and see if you get it as narrowed down as suitable.
  9. In my case, the corruption was in some random elements of "workspace dump" layer, all vector, where I didn't have anything important.
  10. Now you know which chunk causes the problem, you should now be able to delete that chunk from the original file and be able to save it.

Not an ideal situation, but that saved the day.

On 9/1/2018 at 3:34 AM, Erendrood said:

Hi,

I am happy with Affinity Designer and work on it on many systems. However I now ran into the same error message (on win). I routinely work from Google File Stream, without a problem. This time, the error occured (#1 time) and I could also not "save as" somewhere else.

After a few moments of terror I found a way to fix my file. It boils down to finding the corrupted element and deleting it.

1. Create a new document, without artboard etc. big enough to copy-paste things over.
  2. Copy and paste the most vital layers or groups etc. Be broad, get half or a good chunk over.
  3. Save that new file.
  4. If the error occurs, you know that this chunk has some corrupted element.
  5. If not, get the next chunk over, and save and so on, until the error comes up.
  6. You then know which chunks have some corruption in them.
  7. Simply delete the last chunk and see if saving works.
  8. You can then refine that by undoing the delete-step (restore corrupted chunk), and delete fewer / less vital elements, then save and see if you get it as narrowed down as suitable.
  9. In my case, the corruption was in some random elements of "workspace dump" layer, all vector, where I didn't have anything important.
  10. Now you know which chunk causes the problem, you should now be able to delete that chunk from the original file and be able to save it.

Not an ideal situation, but that saved the day.

I had Affinity Publisher give this error of not being able to save, even when it was on the internal system drive. The culprit turned out to be a placed Affinity Design (AD) file. Once that came out it saved fine. Now that AD file was originated from an Adobe Illustrator file (opened and saved out to AD) so if that had something to do with it I don't know. Anyhow I exported the graphic out from AD to a png, placed that in to the Publisher document and had no further problems saving that file.

Awch I just had the same experience with 2 different files (both reworked PDF imports), in 1 afternoon..

I'd happily send them as examples, if only they would save... :4_joy::46_confounded:

Hi all! I ended up here because I had the same problem.

Mine happened in MacOS High Sierra and couldn't fix it with any of these tips. I was working with my local SSD almost full without knowing, and suddenly it was full enough that it couldn't save my progress. I freed some GBs but the app instance was now broken. Luckily, I could come up with an almost certain way to fix it. The bad thing is that this method requires Affinity Photo, which if you don't have, you're in trouble (the semi-good news is that you could be saved by downloading the free trial if you don't want to pay for it, or at least you could find a way to hack your OS to duplicate an instance of an app, I guess, and do it with a second Affinity Designer open).

I won't go in detail because you can read that in this thread: 

But long story short: I could duplicate and open my latest working file with Photo, copy the missing layers/objects (the new unsaved work), and save the file as another one in Photo. After that, I could safely close Designer in order for it to get fixed itself, open the new complete file and continue working over there.

Hope it helps/saves somebody! Have a nice week!

Cheers!

On 7/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, MEB said:

Hi colindarling,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We do not recommend editing files directly from external drives/cards/NAS (network drives/storage) and cloud synchronised folders as this may lead to lost of work/data due to loss of connection or files changes (in synchronised folders). Affinity apps don't load the whole file to memory for performance reasons and require a permanent connection/access to the file to ensure incremental saves/changes work properly. If the connection to the original file is lost we lose access to the required non-loaded data (to memory) to save the file to another location.

Please use the internal system drive when working with affinity files. We are looking into ways to improve this.

I am saving locally and am getting this issue - I've never saved to disk

I have the same problem working in a Network centered environement with not or extremely little local disc space. I believe this is a severe bug and not justifiably by any "performance" or whatever issues. There are literally hundreds, thousands or even more machines and installations that work fully or partically with partial loading from the network and it operates fine. It is very much concerning that an otherwise so nice software is not able to perform such a basic task.

Not sure I have exactly solved the problem described above, but I have updated Affinity two or three times since that occurred and I have not seen a repeat of the problem.

Overall I think Affinity is working better than before. I am now using AD 1.7.2

I am using Affinit * 1.7.2 (all three of them) and all show the same behaviour. I cannot save a *.af* file to any network drive, only locally. Export etc. works fine.

So, the problem is definetly still persisting.

Mine is worse....
I've never succeeded to save any file to the local drive.

It creates the files with 0kb. 
I can export to other formats, but not with affinity design format.

Please help...

Otherwise, this is so useless... 

This happened on both photo and designer

failed to save.jpg