You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ungrouping Images in Vector or Png Formats

• Staff

Hi popncorn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Open the PDF file you have attached, go to the Layers panel and click the small arrow on the left of the Layer 1 thumbnail to expand that layer. You can see and select all individual objects listed below or just by clicking on them with the Move Tool on canvas. To change their colour (for example the main letters) click on them with the Move Tool then go to the context toolbar right above the work area click on the Fill colour well and select another colour. Some of the white reflects on the popcorn use images (gradients) with a vector mask but you probably don't want to change their colour. The easiest way to change their colours would be recreating the gradients as vectors deleting the images and applying a similar gradient to the vector shape that were being used as mask.

These are relatively basic operations - i advise you to take a look at the Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials thread where you will find video tutorials covering most of the features of the program. If you find trouble doing something in particular, just attach your working file and ask again here. We will guide you through the process.

Hi MEB,

Thank you for responding.  I tried your instructions above, prior to requesting help to no avail.  The image is embedded and will not ungroup. Interestingly, I can "ungroup" if I open the file for use with my Silhouette Cameo program, but there are limited colors.  I just can't "ungroup" with Affinity.

Well geez, what am I doing wrong?  I started with NEW, selected Artboard, selected the size, opened the image from my downloads folder.  Went to layers and it shows EMBEDDED.  When I go to the UNGROUP tab, it is not available (not highlighted).  I then went back to layers and followed instructions above to click on the little arrow on the left side and that's where I see the images still grouped together and no option to ungroup.  If I return to the image on the screen, it is still all contained in one box grouped.  Thank you for assisting!

• Staff

Hi popncorn,

Seems you were dragging the PDF directly to the document or using the File ▸ Place command to insert it. If you do one of those things you are actually embedding the file in the document rather than simply opening it - thus the embedded label between parenthesis at the end of the layer's name in the Layers panel. To open the file use the menu File ▸ Open as @dutchshader suggested.

You can also edit embedded documents double-clicking on them on canvas - they will be opened on an additional document tab where you can perform the changes. The original document will be updated accordingly, but it this case it's best to open the PDF directly and edit it as you see fit.