debraspicher

Wacom Intuos4: Weird Mapping/Pressure Issue due to "high precision tablet input (experimental)"

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something related to Windows Ink. My tablet seems to be struggling with mapping issues all the sudden. Not sure if this is due to Affinity Photo or maybe something else?

UPDATE* -- I discovered this is related to the "high precision tablet input (experimental)" setting. I hadn't noticed it before because it sometimes takes a minute or so to start misbehaving when after opening a document. Un-checking resolves the "bug".

I uploaded a video to show the weird brush behavior. It gets super glitchy the further into the recording. In general, I am sweeping my hand from left to right, and right to left, and basically past the menu, the cursor returns to the beginning of the screen instead of continuing over the menus. One variant of this position flipping allows pressure, but in some cases, pressure is not allowed no matter where I draw and it flips out, leaving minimal (.01% pressure) marks on the canvas. It is occasionally sporadic, but for the most part completely reproduce-able.

I uninstalled, reinstalled Wacom drivers and restarted computer several times.

I doubled checked after recording this video that Wacom wasn't using old configurations, so I trashed those again. I noticed when I returned to AP and starte ddrawing, my hand was all the way on the side and it was drawing in the center of the screen... you can see here in this picture...

20171225_203422_HDR_wacom_test.thumb.jpg.5c0cff190079c9b5d853faaa84ecda63.jpg

Also you can see in this video where the "glitch" is cutting across tabbed documents as well (according to tab location up top)... even though only one document is currently viewable:

Note: I checked and disabling "Windows Ink" does not correct the glitch.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 17763)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3600Ghz; Mobo: Asus X470-PRO
16GB DDR4 (2400Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Monitor 1: 4K @ 150%
Monitor 2: 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro

I discovered after a little bit of experimenting that this is caused by the "high precision tablet input (experimental) setting"

16GB DDR4 (2400Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

On 12/26/2017 at 12:56 PM, debraspicher said:

I discovered after a little bit of experimenting that this is caused by the "high precision tablet input (experimental) setting"

Meaning once disabled it corrected your issue?  Did you notice any improvement on the CPU/GPU load from using your pen as an input device?

1 hour ago, adegrella said:

Meaning once disabled it corrected your issue?  Did you notice any improvement on the CPU/GPU load from using your pen as an input device?

The mapping issue, yes, it's resolved by disabling that setting.

There's always lag when I paint, so I can't say that it improved after I disabled that. I only turned it on to see if it would help the brush feel "less lazy".

AP isn't to the point where it can be used professionally for digital painting. Like artstation.com level painting, not simpler works. It's been improving for me though. I'm going to update my PC relatively soon-ish since it is just about due for my work, but I figured I would begin again updating with feedback on the brush engine after that point.

16GB DDR4 (2400Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

On 3/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, debraspicher said:

I'm going to update my PC relatively soon-ish since it is just about due for my work, but I figured I would begin again updating with feedback on the brush engine after that point.

I'd follow your feedback in that: Interested too in the matter. Is your machine worse than mine ? Specs below. 

I've handled to have a speedy response (only in the beta) . Specially since my trick with the color picker.

Edit: OUCH, sorry, hadn't seen your signature. Your machine is more powerful. Yet quite low for what you can buy today ( and with less threads than mine).  I myself am going to get a Ryzen based machine, a mother board of the ones likely to be able to receive the BIOS update so that a Ryzen7 1700 that I can get now very cheap, can be replaced in July with a series 3000, Zen 2 CPU, without getting another mother board.  Hopefully the 3700X cpu. My card is slightly better than yours, though. But I believe for these things in Affinity, is mostly the CPU. So,.that's surely not it. Probably that I assumed not to use brushes larger than 300px...

But you have TWO cards....Do you notice the lag when working at 4k ? That res is a bit of a stretch for a 950, imo....

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

OMG AMD :'D the graphics troubled processor.... Especially in 3D and games but I also seen normal windows interfaces one would call unwated abstract art...

The lag problem btw I do have as well with a completely new and powerful computer (1080ti, i7 3.7 GHz unlocked (can reach over 4.5GHz) with 6 cores, 16GB RAM will soon be updated to 32 etc...). I have 2 x 2k monitors. Still lagging is there as soon as the image size is probably above 2048 x 2048. And the lagging can be huge. No problem for me and my work (if I get that high with the image resolution, it's most probably about creating textures for game 3D models), i can wait until photo draws what I just drew and if you go slowly then it nearly catches up.

What brush size (higher than 400px ?  ) are you using ? Are you using the actual brush, or the erase background brush or other specific tool ?

I am not seeing that delay with quite larger canvases... (5k x 5k px minimum)  (machine specs in my sig)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.