You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems Saving and Exporting

I just purchased Affinity Photo for Windows, and I have a problem.  I open a Canon RAW image (freshly downloaded from my camera) and make some adjustment, then Develop it.  Once that is done, I try to export it into JPEG.  If you look at the screenshot (attached) I keep getting a "File Not Found" error message.  What am I doing wrong in trying to convert my RAW image into a JPEG using AP?

Untitled document.pdf

I'm not sure offhand why you're getting the File Not Found error, but you're not doing what you think you’re doing.  Save As will save your image as an Affinity Photo file – a bit like Photoshop saves native .PSD files.

To output your developed image as JPEG, you need to select the Export… menu command, not Save As.  You'll get a bunch of different format options along the top of the Export dialog box (PNG, JPEG, GIF, etc), so select JPEG and proceed from there…

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Try other path/directory for save file. For example Documents. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for the two comments.  As to Gary's comment, I just did the sequence that you recommended and I am getting the same "file not found" error message.  It is as if AP is trying to open a file (and not finding it) instead of saving a new file.  As to Psenda, I have tried numerous locations to save the exported JPEG.  I keep getting the same error message.

Sorry Bryan, I had hoped to be able to put you on the right path.  This should be simple.  While I am somewhat familiar with Windows, I'm primarily a Mac user.  I wonder if there's a slight Windows quirk affecting your workflow?

In the absence of any other suggestions yet, I've one last suggestion that would be easy for you to try.  (1) Open and develop your Canon RAW file.  (2) Before trying to export it as a JPEG, Save it as a native Affinity Photo document.  (Save it to a different location that the source directory of your RAW file.)  (3) Then, after you have established your master file, then try to Export the JPEG version…

If that doesn't work, hopefully someone else might come forward with a suggestion that'll work for you.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, DoctorQ9 said:

I just purchased Affinity Photo for Windows, and I have a problem.  I open a Canon RAW image (freshly downloaded from my camera) and make some adjustment, then Develop it.  Once that is done, I try to export it into JPEG.  If you look at the screenshot (attached) I keep getting a "File Not Found" error message.  What am I doing wrong in trying to convert my RAW image into a JPEG using AP?

I haven't encountered this issue, however this looks like two separate issues to me.

The first issue is the 'Save as' dialogue box in your screenshot is only showing the option to save as a .afphoto file.  The only time you normally see this is when trying to save the file by going to 'File > Save' or 'File > Save as'.  Therefore are you absolutely sure it still shows .afphoto when going to 'File > Export' and selecting 'JPEG > Export' too?

The second issue is the 'File not found' 'Check the filename and try again' warning.  I've seen this dialogue when 'Controlled Folder Access' is turned on in Windows Defender Security Centre (it was a new option added in the 1709, 16299.15 update).  It's off by default as it isn't a 'turn on and forget' setting, but something that needs to be configured.  So if you have turned this on, you'll need to either configure it to whitelist applications such as Affinity Photo, or turn it back off.

001.thumb.jpg.faa7b2fa9ee35fcdefe5212d84391ec4.jpg

When 'Controlled Folder Access' is turned on, Windows Action Centre should warn you that it's blocking the application (photo.exe in this case) from making changes when you first open the RAW file in Affinity Photo.  In addition, clicking on the notification will take you straight to the relevant setting where you can whitelist it.  If you aren't seeing the Action Centre notification, make sure you haven't turned off 'Get notifications from apps and other senders' in Settings > System > Notifications & Actions.

002.thumb.jpg.6ba20c1ff1b46f5016bf1440083f9dce.jpg

Sima -- you nailed it!  Once I turned off the "Controlled folder access" feature, all of the saving/exporting issues went away.  Serif -- since this is a fairly new feature in Windows, I highly recommend that you warn users about this conflict in your FAQs.

Thanks again, Sima!

7 hours ago, DoctorQ9 said:

Once I turned off the "Controlled folder access" feature, all of the saving/exporting issues went away. 

And did not you feel relationship with the Action Centre message,  that pops up just when you tried to save the file?

"Controlled folder access" does not need to off, you only need to add an AP between authorized applications.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2017 at 5:35 PM, - S - said:

I haven't encountered this issue, however this looks like two separate issues to me.

The first issue is the 'Save as' dialogue box in your screenshot is only showing the option to save as a .afphoto file.  The only time you normally see this is when trying to save the file by going to 'File > Save' or 'File > Save as'.  Therefore are you absolutely sure it still shows .afphoto when going to 'File > Export' and selecting 'JPEG > Export' too?

The second issue is the 'File not found' 'Check the filename and try again' warning.  I've seen this dialogue when 'Controlled Folder Access' is turned on in Windows Defender Security Centre (it was a new option added in the 1709, 16299.15 update).  It's off by default as it isn't a 'turn on and forget' setting, but something that needs to be configured.  So if you have turned this on, you'll need to either configure it to whitelist applications such as Affinity Photo, or turn it back off.

001.thumb.jpg.faa7b2fa9ee35fcdefe5212d84391ec4.jpg

When 'Controlled Folder Access' is turned on, Windows Action Centre should warn you that it's blocking the application (photo.exe in this case) from making changes when you first open the RAW file in Affinity Photo.  In addition, clicking on the notification will take you straight to the relevant setting where you can whitelist it.  If you aren't seeing the Action Centre notification, make sure you haven't turned off 'Get notifications from apps and other senders' in Settings > System > Notifications & Actions.

002.thumb.jpg.6ba20c1ff1b46f5016bf1440083f9dce.jpg

This easy change fixed it. Thank you!!!