You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: drag a selection with guides

Hi forum,

Created a document with a couple of vertical and horizontal guides, set "snap to guides" on, and tried to make a rectangle selection from guide to guide but no snapping...

Also tried "snap to grid" (with visible grid), and still no snapping when making a selection. 

Seems I'm missing something?

Happy Xmas to everyone ;)

Juergen

Mac, pc or iPad?

Just tried this on Mac and iPad works fine, have you checked in snapping Manager to make sure snapping is enabled and snap to guides is enabled? Have you tried turning all snapping options on?

Which tool are you using, the rectangle tool, the pen tool or the brush tool? 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

I assume you are making the selection with the Rectangular Marquee Tool in Affinity Photo. Oddly enough, it does not snap to guides but there is a way to work around that:

1. Drag out a rectangular marquee selection. It does not matter what size or position you make it, but for convenience sake, you can place it in the approximate position of your guides.

2. From the Select menu choose "Edit Selection As Layer" or click on the "Quick Mask" button on the Toolbar.

3. Click on the Move Tool. Your marquee should now have bounding box handles, the same as if it was a pixel or object layer.

4. You should now be able to snap the handles to your guides.

5. Either click on the "Quick Mask" button again or somewhere outside the canvas with the Move Tool to keep your selection active in its new location.

This is not an idea workaround since you will most likely have to move several handles, but it will do the job.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

another way is to create a rectangle shape, it will snap to the guides, an than: create selection from layer ctrl>shift>O. And delete the rectangle.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

13 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

another way is to create a rectangle shape, it will snap to the guides, an than: create selection from layer ctrl>shift>O. And delete the rectangle.

Yes, & it is a better way then what I suggested. That is what happens when I try to answer a question in the morning before I have had enough coffee to convince my brain to function well enough to remember the Selection From Layer command exists! :$

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, dutchshader said:

That’s the way I always do it, I must admit I’d assumed that was how he would have tried to do it in the first place. My tool of preference is the iPad so when you switch to the selections persona the guides automatically hide and are not usable while creating a selection.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Er! my eyes could be deceiving me but my rectangular marquee doth snap with the careless abandon to my guides forth sooth. and verily I madeth yon video to showeth such magicness

2017-12-30_16-28-27.flv

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Er! my eyes could be deceiving me but my rectangular marquee doth snap with the careless abandon to my guides forth sooth. and verily I madeth yon video to showeth such magicness

2017-12-30_16-28-27.flv

FWIW, I cannot duplicate what your video shows on my Mac, running Affinity Photo version 1.6.6. Drawing rectangles or other shapes snap to the guides just fine, but rectangular marquee selections ignore them completely.

Affinity Photo 

I just tried this on a Mac and the marquee snapped perfectly to the guides. It's strange that different people are having different results.

I using OS 10.11.6, if that makes any difference.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

2 hours ago, DianeF said:

I just tried this on a Mac and the marquee snapped perfectly to the guides. It's strange that different people are having different results.

I using OS 10.11.6, if that makes any difference.

I am using 10.12.6 but I have no idea if that explains the difference. I guess it could be due to some difference in the preference settings but I also have no idea if that could explain it.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am using 10.12.6 but I have no idea if that explains the difference. I guess it could be due to some difference in the preference settings but I also have no idea if that could explain it.

I have High Sierra 10.13.2 installed don't know if that would make a difference?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I have High Sierra 10.13.2 installed don't know if that would make a difference?

As @JimmyJack mentioned, it seems that marquee snapping to guides was broken in the last MAS update of Affinity Photo (to v1.6.6). I just tried it on the 1.6.7 - Beta 2 version & it works fine, so it is apparently not related to the Mac OS version.

Affinity Photo 

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As @JimmyJack mentioned, it seems that marquee snapping to guides was broken in the last MAS update of Affinity Photo (to v1.6.6). I just tried it on the 1.6.7 - Beta 2 version & it works fine, so it is apparently not related to the Mac OS version.

Glad its fixed for ya, Marquee away with aplomb :D