You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @bkabstract. :)

Affinity Photo doesn't understand the Adobe Photoshop layer styles (*.asl) format, if that's what you're asking.

BTW, you might want to remove your email address from your post to this public forum. It's only going to attract spammers and scammers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for rewording your OP and clarifying your question. As for advising you further, I'll leave that to someone who knows the answer!

Alfred spacer.png

I can’t see an import option but help states:

To save a style:

1. Choose a Styles category to save the style into.
  2. Select the object whose style you want to save, tap Preferences on the Layer FX Studio, then choose Add Style from Selection from the menu.

That’s going to be tedious with 300 styles involved!

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 'import styles' option only available on the current beta? I have it now, but couldn’t find it the the General release 1.65 version.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Soon I hope. The beta has a very annoying bug associated with brush colour picker rendering it very hard to use. The beta does have much improved iOS Files integration though and a few other features/fixes. All in all, the developers are doing a great job with AP for iPad. It’s an amazing app.

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, KarolinaBS said:

What is Beta? As for me when I chose the import function it opens the drive but doesn’t read my afstyles nor brushes. How can I get styles and brushes on my iPaad AD?

The beta is a test version, released to a group of testers so that bugs and poor functionality can be fixed before general release.

What storage are you trying to read your styles and brushes from?

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, KarolinaBS said:

I tried both iCloud and google drive

What is the version number of your Affinity Photo iPad app? (You can see it in the bottom right corner of the Preferences screen that opens when you tap on the gear icon on the app's Home screen.)

It should be 1.6.8.77. If it is not, open the App Store application on your iPad & tap the "Updates" button at the bottom of the screen & install the update from there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, KarolinaBS said:

@R C-R it’s Affinity Designer 1.6.1.40.  No update shows up

Sorry for the confusion. If you are using Affinity Designer then that is the current version. But importing styles into the FX Studio > Styles panel should work from at least iCloud Drive -- I just tried it here & it works fine.

Are you sure the file you stored to your iCloud drive has the afstyles extension?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

As discussed here, there sometimes seem to be file association problems when using Google Drive. There shouldn’t be any icons on the file thumbnails.

Please post a screenshot of your iCloud Drive folder.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, KarolinaBS said:

See the attached image. All styles are shaded and I can’t pick any.

In the Files app (not AD) navigate to that same Drive folder. Long press on any one of the files listed there. In the context menu that pops up up, choose "Info," the last item on the right. Does that show that the file has an .afstyles extension? If not, try uploading the file from the original source to your iCloud Drive & try the same thing.

Does it show the extension there? If so, try importing it into AD from that source instead.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, KarolinaBS said:

Yes it has. I attached.

I see that, but what it does not have is "Kind: Style File" like in this screenshot of an afstyles file I saved to a folder on my iCloud Drive. As @αℓƒяє∂ suggested, this may be a problem with file associations when using Google Drive as the cloud source. So maybe try copying the original file (not the one on Google Drive) to one of your iCloud Drive folders & see if it works from there.

1485952738_Filesinfo.thumb.jpeg.3ca62da484340044b68133e4f7beb26a.jpeg

Affinity Photo 

I created some own styles. Then I exported to the iPad iCloud. And shockingly the file was as attached... Document again. Even when I wanted to import it back again I couldn’t! I think this is a bug ... and the attachment you sent me was from Affinity Photo... maybe that’s why...

6F06CDCD-6B53-4775-B2F6-E7F78B14FE3D.jpeg