You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D effect in Designer

Hi Seanb,

Welcome to the Affinity forum.

The 3D effect adds both light and shade making your drawing look like it's sticking out. It might not be as noticeable with solid colors, but it is more noticeable with gradients. Below is an older drawing showing the difference between no 3D effect and with a 3D effect.

3D.thumb.png.60eb0f25ed2e3459ddd69faa4c177902.png

As for your other questions, there is no given time for those releases, but they will come out before the first paid update, version 2.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 24/12/2017 at 1:55 AM, Bri-Toon said:

Below is an older drawing showing the difference between no 3D effect and with a 3D effect.

The problem with the 3D effect is that it only works around the edges of a shape. You can see this clearly if you observe how flat most of Angie's left leg is in that drawing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Yes, and it makes sense for the 3D effect to work that way. It shows up better on more advanced editing. Something I tried doing in another one of my works is gradient, clipped objects, and THEN the 3D effect. However, I also applied the 3D effect to the clips themselves so the edged effect isn't as obvious, but that would make the difference of color not flow together. So in that case, I took the Transparency Tool and tried to have them blend. The more edits, the more the 3D pops out.

@seanb

So I would say the 3D effect is quite useful, but it does involve some advanced edits before hand. The example I showed is a basic example of how it would look on an overall drawing, but to have the 3D really pop out, it would involve each object (my method anyway).

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/26/2017 at 5:03 PM, MEB said:

Hi seanb,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can also use it for text effects to give them some depth.

The Mesh Warp Tools is already on Designer's roadmap (no eta other than it will come before v2 as a free update). The other too will probably come later.

3d.png

It would be great if there were a way to adjust the minimum radius for acute angles like those in the ‘h’ and ‘r’ of ‘Chris’ above. The effect would be more natural if the angles 3D effect could be fine-tuned to more closely match the angles of the underlying shape.

• Staff

Hi @Michael A. Lowry,
Thanks for your feedback. For Requests & Suggestions please create a new thread in the most adequate section in the Feature Requests & Suggestions area as it may get lost here buried in the Questions section. That's the primary place the dev team track/looks for. If you could provide an example of what's missing/what you would like to achieve (when applicable) it would also help so everyone can understand what's being requested.