You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am use to creating a selection in photoshop, selecting the adjustment and adding a mask to the adjustment. Sometimes i need to make an adjustment to the mask.

With Affinity Photo, when i have a selection performed, i select and adjustment and then the adjustment has a mask applied to it. How do i stop this. I prefer adding masks manually or to a group of adjustments.

Thx

Mike

• Staff

Hi Micheal.hd,

Unfortunately Adjustments come in as masks by default there is no way to change this. You can paint into an Adjustment mask however so it shouldn't be much different to you adding the mask manually.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Problem being if you take a few adjustments and combine into a folder then refine  the mask what will be the outcome?

i seriously think this is flawed and should be selectable by the user. 

Lately I have been heavily using Affinity and been finding a few tools which are equivalent to PS and a few which need work, ie color selection, Affinity can’t touch PS for this tool.

Anyway, please consider this request as I can’t be the only person who would prefer to create /  apply our own masks.

Soon your software will be able to replace PS for serious work. Keep up the good work.

thx

Mike

• Staff

Hi micheal.hd,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do the following to have an independent mask controlling an adjustment:

- create you selection and press the Mask button on the bottom of the Layers panel to create a mask from it.

- apply the adjustment you want

- drag the mask over the thumbnail of the adjustment in the layers panel so it only affects that adjustment

This way you are bypassing the built-in mask and using an independent one to mask the adjustment

• Staff

Hi micheal.hd,

Check the sample file attached below. I've applied a recolour adjustment to the background image to turn a few pieces blue. The independent mask is being used to restrict the pieces to which the blue (recolour adjustment) is applied. Tick/check the Recolour Adjustment layer (currently hidden) to see it in action.

independent_mask_plus_adjustment.afphoto

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi micheal.hd,

Check the sample file attached below. I've applied a recolour adjustment to the background image to turn a few pieces blue. The independent mask is being used to restrict the pieces to which the blue (recolour adjustment) is applied. Tick/check the Recolour Adjustment layer (currently hidden) to see it in action.

independent_mask_plus_adjustment.afphoto

MEB,

You dont have a mask directly applied on recolour adjustment so of course adding a new mask to a unmasked adjustment works.

I am going to stay with Photoshop until this is resolved, its too difficult to figure out how multiple masks works when they are directly applied to an adjustment.

MJ

4 hours ago, micheal.hd said:

MEB,

You dont have a mask directly applied on recolour adjustment so of course adding a new mask to a unmasked adjustment works.

All adjustment layers have built-in masks, so there is no such thing as an unmasked one. This is true for Photoshop as well as for Affinity Photo. From the Adobe Photoshop User Guide topic Adjustment and fill layers (emphasis added):

Adjustment layers provide the following advantages:

• Nondestructive edits. You can try different settings and re‑edit the adjustment layer at any time. You can also reduce the effect of the adjustment by lowering the opacity of the layer. 

• Selective editing. Paint on the adjustment layer’s image mask to apply an adjustment to part of an image. Later you can control which parts of the image are adjusted by re-editing the layer mask. You can vary the adjustment by painting on the mask with different tones of gray. 

• Ability to apply adjustments to multiple images. Copy and paste adjustment layers between images to apply the same color and tonal adjustments.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity does not apply a mask the same way as photoshop. When I have a selection made, click on the adjustment I want, the adjustment AUTOMATICALLY takes on the selection. This is not the same as Photoshop. Im photoshop, a selection is there until you either save it or create a mask from it to apply to the adjustment.

I have tried this multiple times in Affinity and I do not like the way it applies the mask automatically to my adjustment. If I want to change the mat later I have to apply a second mask to the already masked adjustment and HOPE it applies correctly.

I am not fighting with you but this is how I see it.

MJ

5 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

Affinity does not apply a mask the same way as photoshop. When I have a selection made, click on the adjustment I want, the adjustment AUTOMATICALLY takes on the selection.

Yes, that is by design.

5 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

If I want to change the mat later I have to apply a second mask to the already masked adjustment and HOPE it applies correctly.

You can easily edit the adjustment layer's mask to control what the adjustment is applied to. For example you can reset the mask to affect everything the adjustment layer is applied to by selecting it in the Layers panel, right-clicking on its Alpha channel in the Channels panel, & choosing Fill from the options that pop up:

5a3ec6a0d34bd_channelspanel.png.f40d7e470cbe14fb258485fc70584a98.png

Likewise, clear & invert do what you would expect from their names. This works independently of any 'marching ants' selection.

Or just paint on the adjustment layer with the Paint Brush to vary its effect. This works the same as it does in Photoshop -- the grayness of the brush color (technically its lightness, I guess) controls how much or little of the adjustment is masked.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7