You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do Designer and Photo work together?

Say I'm working in Affinity Designer, and I decide an image I'm placing could use a bit more touch up, something more than the Pixel Persona can offer.  Is there a direct link between Designer and Photo?  Can I click the image in question, and somehow send it to Affinity Photo for editing, then when I come back into Designer, see those changes immediately?  Of do I have to get out of Designer, into Photo, re-find my image, make adjustments, save it out as an external file, get back into Designer, and then re-import or re-place the image from the saved file?

• Staff

Hi Wizaerd,

You can swap the document between apps (with history included) going to menu File ▸ Edit in Designer/Photo depending on what app you are currently in. Some features exclusive to certain apps (like Live Filters in Affinity Photo) can be edited/adjusted directly in Designer double-clicking on their thumbnail in the Layers panel as if you were in Affinity Photo without the need to swap the document.

I'm sorry, I should have looked around a bit more.  While there's no easy double click or context right click, there is a menu option under File to Open in Photo. Although I'm not sure how to send it back to designer... If I want to save, it wants to save as a Photo proprietary file (.afphoto) instead of as the actual image file...

Thanx MEB, I didn't see your response until I was getting ready to submit my own reply.  But how do I send it back and forth without having to save as their individual file types (afdesign or afphoto)?

Here's where I get a bit messed up... When in Designer, if I want to edit a photo only, when I click Edit in Photo, it opens the whole document in Photo, not just the image.  And then if I want to do something special to it, such as use the Liquid Persona, I have to rasterize my image into a pixel layer, do my adjustments, and then send the whole document back to designer...  That's what was kind of throwing me off.  I was thinking it'd only open the photo... Either way, I suppose it'll just take my getting used to how it works.  But thanx for your help!

Probably something for the suggestion box but I think it would be great if the zoom view was retained from one app to the other. For example, if working at 150% in Designer, the document opened the same view point in Photo. At the moment it reverts to 'Zoom to fit'.

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

On 12/21/2017 at 0:57 PM, Wizaerd said:

I'm not sure how to send it back to designer... If I want to save, it wants to save as a Photo proprietary file (.afphoto) instead of as the actual image file...

The .afphoto & .afdesign extensions just determine which Affinity app opens the document when you double-click on it. The file format is the same for both -- you can even manually change the extension from one to the other with no effect other than that.

IOW, no conversion of anything in a native format Affinity file is required or occurs when you open it with either app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...