You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I resize a selection marquee?

• Staff

Hi sonanski,

Currently there's no command to crop to a selection. However you can copy the selection (⌘ (cmd) + C) then go to menu File ▸ New From Clipboard to have it placed on a new document with the same dimensions as the selection. Note that you can only copy pixel selections from Pixel layers. Image layers will be fully copied despite them being entirely inside the selection or not (Image layers are considered an object layer type - they can be modified "globally" - rotated, skewed, scaled etc - but can't be edited at a pixel level).

So if you want to make changes at a pixel level to an image (using brushes, creating/editing selections etc) you must convert them to Pixel layers first.

To crop to a selection you can also do this...

1. Make your selection

2. Invert the selection

3. Hit delete key

4. Use Document > Clip Canvas to get rid of the excess canvas space

Steps 2,3 & 4 can be recorded in a macro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 8:34 PM, carl123 said:

1. Make your selection

2. Invert the selection

3. Hit delete key

4. Use Document > Clip Canvas to get rid of the excess canvas space

Steps 2,3 & 4 can be recorded in a macro and assigned a keyboard shortcut if you do this a lot

Thanks for this hint. . Before step 3 you have to select all layers (or flatten the image) or it does not work because the deletion only affects selected layers. (Makes sense when you think about it) This was one of the things that I do all the time in photoshop and would have been a big issue for me to use Affinity Photo.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

It would be very useful and intuiitive to have resize handles on a marquee selection, I appreciate the transform panel gives a precise resize option, but dragging to resize can be more helpful depending on what you are working with and trying to achieve.

1. create a empty layer
2. draw selection with marquee
3. select Move tool(V)
4. transform the selection
5. select Marquee tool(M) again
6. select any layer you want

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to offer some user feedback here. I'm a long time Photoshop user attempting to switch to Affinity Photo, as I am a software engineer and not a full time graphics professional.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get those 'resize handles' showing up, and kept thinking that I must be an idiot.

Hearing that it doesn't exist is tough. It's one of the most useful features I used in photoshop.

It's actually almost enough to put me over the edge from not making the jump to Affinity.

I'd highly recommend reconsidering the decision not to implement that.

Edited by Greg_Blass

In Photo, you can switch to using the Quick Mask, then use the Move Tool to manipulate the selected area. This works for any selection, not just that from one of the Marquee selection tools. You can also use other tools while you are using the Quick Mask to further manipulate the selection. See attached video for some examples.

• 4 months later...

To crop images, as well as delete unwanted portions of a selection, I have used this sequence in Photoshop all the time:

1. Make your selection

2. Invert the selection

3. Hit delete key

WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING in Affinity Photo????

I have made my selection, inverted it, and it deletes whatever I originally selected, NOT THE INVERTED SELECTION. Whether inverted, or selected, whatever was originally selected gets deleted -- NOT the current selection.  -- HELP!! This is driving me nuts. 

Greetings Kellye2,

This IS working in AF. So would could go wrong?

Do you have one layer (default name is Background) or multiple layers?

Are you working in the Photo Persona? (the default after opening a file with jpg or png extension)

is it possible for you to record this sequence in a short video you could place on this forum?

THANKS! for your help & suggestions.

1. I do have more than one layer, but I have the layer I wish to work on selected.

2. I am working in Photo Persona

3. What software is available to do a screen capture video? I'd be happy to upload a short video.

51 minutes ago, Kelley2 said:

I have made my selection, inverted it, and it deletes whatever I originally selected, NOT THE INVERTED SELECTION. Whether inverted, or selected, whatever was originally selected gets deleted -- NOT the current selection.  -- HELP!! This is driving me nuts. 

Make sure you're not trying to select part of an (Image) layer. What you've described should work on a (Pixel) layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, Kelley2 said:

THANKS! for your help & suggestions.

1. I do have more than one layer, but I have the layer I wish to work on selected.

2. I am working in Photo Persona

3. What software is available to do a screen capture video? I'd be happy to upload a short video.

I sometimes use OBS studio, this is open source so no license fee involved, BUT this application takes some time to get acquainted with ...

Hi Walt -- you hit the nail on the head. I was trying on an image layer, not a pixel layer. 

Now to go get educated on what the difference is, and how to use Affinity Photo around this issue. First off, what controls whether it's a pixel, or an image layer? As both of the types of layers are copying & pasting of images.....

Days without crop to selection in Affinity Photo:

From and including: Thursday, 9 July 2015
To and including: Wednesday, 11 November 2020

Result: 1953 days

It is 1953 days from the start date to the end date, end date included.

Or 5 years, 4 months, 3 days including the end date.

Or 64 months, 3 days including the end date

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to clarify, can you only resize the selection with the handles on the center of the edges of the selection?

For example if I have a blueprint of a car and I want to refine the selection in the rear view to the bottom of a tire, I have to zoom out enough to see the center of the bottom edge of the selection to actually drag the handle instead of zooming in on the tire and dragging the edge there? 

• 3 months later...
49 minutes ago, Stokestack said:

The fact that you can't resize the selection marquee...

In AP did you try this:

• Make your marching ants selection using any of the selection tools
  • Enable Quick Mask from the toolbar (or with the "Q" keyboard shortcut
  • Switch to the Move Tool
  • You should now be able to use the bounding box resize handles or the Transform panel to adjust the size (or move, rotate, or shear the selection around on the canvas)
  • Exit Quick Mask mode to continue

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for that reply. That does work, although there's still no way to set an aspect ratio. You have to type some multiple of the dimensions into the transform panel and then resize the mask area with a corner handle.

Needless to say, the necessity for this workaround is.... you guessed it... ridiculous.