Toni Postius

Designer Crashes when opening illustrator files

Please, need a serious effective reply on this issue. I have seen some entries, and thus I made sure no one of the tips worked.

No excuses from the file type, they have embedded pdf. Tried with pdf, but neither pdfs can be opened.

Please, no need to ask me for the .ai file. No fonts, just a brush stroke. and pdf is embedded.

Maybe a matter of High Sierra?

Please fix it.

If it can be useful, find attached the crash log text.

Thanks

Affinity Designer crash log.txt

Hi Toni Postius,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Assuming the Ai file was saved with PDF compatible file checked it should open in Designer/Photo. Can you attach the PDF (or the Ai) so we can check this out. The crash report may not be enough to identify the issue (sometimes they don't help much at all). If you want to keep the file private i can provide you an upload link. All files will be deleted after being checked.

Thanks.

Hi RealSparky,

Your file is opening fine for me. No crashes here. Which Affinity Designer version are you running (menu Affinity Designer ▸ About)?

If you are using the latest retail version already (1.6.0) please launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears, keep the first three checkboxes ticked then press Clear.  Does it still crashes when you try to open an Ai file? Note that you may lose some prefs/layout customisation you may have done when reseting the app.

On 28/12/2017 at 11:59 AM, MEB said:

Hi RealSparky,

Your file is opening fine for me. No crashes here. Which Affinity Designer version are you running (menu Affinity Designer ▸ About)?

If you are using the latest retail version already (1.6.0) please launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears, keep the first three checkboxes ticked then press Clear.  Does it still crashes when you try to open an Ai file? Note that you may lose some prefs/layout customisation you may have done when reseting the app.

Hi MEB,

Thank you for reply, I feel really sill now, they just work for me now didn't even try ^(ctrl) :D, but I will remember this little trick.

All the best,

Sparky

Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I just downloaded the 10-day free trial today, and opening up any .ai file so far crashes Designer. I even downloaded and tried the .ai file posted earlier in this thread, and it crashes.

I'm on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 on a 2016 Touch Bar MBP.

Sample illustrator file attached. 

GPR_Club_Race_Ad-2018.ai

Designer completely useless under high sierra. The issues are massive.

(early 2017 MacBook Pro touchbar running high Sierra)

First I thought it was just a matter of the .ai Filis importing, but it was much worse. I started to do the job in Designer as I had done a few times before, and it started my disappointing and waste of time. And all that I have done with the app in 2 years, just useless. CAN’T EXPORT!!!!

Simply I can’t do anything with Affinity Designer under these conditions. After the command-export the app shows the prompt with file types an then crashes. Tried many times, different situations, rebooting..., but always crashes.

Maybe it´s not exactly your fault what Apple is doing with the OS, but we users have to make a decision.

If you are not willing to update for HighSierra, please make it clear and I will look for another product, and obviously, I will have to spread the word.

Please be clear and honest in your answer, I need a reliable app for production. Thanks

The crash report from the original poster points towards some error in the Touchbar controls. Does everyone having problems also have a touchbar on their Mac?

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

On 15/1/2018 at 5:16 PM, MEB said:

Hi Toni Postius,

Can you please attach one or two of the afdesign files that crash on export here so we can check what's going wrong please? You can use this link to do so.

To what format(s) are you trying to export?

Dear MEB, I said that it is not a matter of SOME files, but ANY file i create from scratch in Designer.

Well, find attached two COMPLETE VOID files.

Please let me know your test results ASAP. Thanks

File2.afdesign

File1.afdesign

Hi Toni Postius,

Apparently this issue is not directly related with any specific files as you said. According to @pauls post above seems there's some issue related with the touch bar.

I don't have any MacBook here with a touchbar to try a few things myself so i'm shooting in the dark here  but since you are also having trouble exporting the files, are you using the touch bar controls for any of these operations (opening saving files)? - i don't even know if this is possible... 

And if so have you tried using the File menu commands instead? Does it still crash in that case? 

Hopefully someone from the QA/support with access to one of the recent MacBooks will pick/check this issue.

Just to confirm, have you tried to reset the app already?

Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Keeps the first three checkboxes ticked then press Clear. Does it still crash on opening/exporting?

If so, are you running any third party menu apps that may be interfering with Affinity? Have you tried to create a new user account and run it from there to check if it still crashes?

Hey, Pauls!!

Fortunately, I have downloaded this BETA, and I am glad to say that the main problem is fixed. Now I can Export.

Now, I will test thoroughly this beta, just to make sure everything or almost everything is OK

Thanks PAULS. (and beta developers) Really needed this working.:)

Hello, here come a couple of bugs: (Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3)

1: Layers NOT DRAGGABLE!! (so you can not create a masking clip)

2: Centered text NOT CENTERED (in certain conditions). Some displacement to the right. (it works fine if I make the text box from scratch, but only in a new blank file) (???)

I will inform as soon as I found any other issues or bugs.

Hope you can fix.

Regards