You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

include bleed with crop marks

Hi,

I am new to affinity and I have a question about "include bleed" and the positions of "crop marks" when exporting to PDF.

I think crop marks should be set on the bleed and not on the document borders, when "include bleed" is selected? At least that's what I expected ... or did I miss something?

In Affinity Photo there is no possibility to add bleed to the document, in Affinity Designer there is this option, but both have this option in export persona?

I am a little bit confused ...

In the forum I have found some discussions about bleed, crop marks, ... but I think there is none about my question.

Thank you

Erwin

• Staff

Hi ekweb,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The purpose of the bleed area is to allow the design to be extended beyond the document boundaries so when the document is cut/trimmed, there's no white borders around the edges of the page. For this reason the Crop marks must indicate the boundaries of the document itself - because these are the edges that will be cut/trimmed, The boundaries of the bleed area are irrelevant.

See this thread about this same subject. I've attached a sample file there.

Hi Meb,

thank´s for your answer. I have done a sample after your example, now I understand, that it´s working like it´s supposed to work. The only thing is, that in Affinity Designer/Photo the bleed is not show, there is only the document itself without bleed. I would like, that the bleed aera is also shown in Affinity Designer/Photo, like it is in Adobe Illustrator.

Thank you

Erwin

45 minutes ago, MEB said:

The bleed preview will be added in a future update. Meanwhile you can use a rectangle (no fill, only stroke) with the dimensions of the page + the bleed area to manually create a preview/reference while you work.

Great! Thank you.

Mind you, you can perfectly well see the bleed area when you set View>View Mode>Clip to Canvas off. You just do not see the bleed area border :-) which is why above mentioned rectangle method. Personally I do not bother to create that rectangle but eyeball the right bleed (or at least bleed enough, you can push elements as far outside the document as you wish). Accurate enough.