Hi there,

I do have a problem with masking. Samples see attached:

What is the problem?

I have a pic. (original.jpg) and I've done a selection with the selection brush.

After this is I did "refine edges" to fine tune the selection.
After this I safed it as a new layer with mask.

The result was ok (see: with mask.jpg).

BUT
Once I disable the mask or I edit the mask I get horrible artefacts (see: mask disabled.jpg)...

What is the problem? What is my thinking mistake?

Thanks for your input and help....
Best

Thomas

with mask.jpg

mask disabled.jpg

original.jpg

Take a look at this video: masking with a complex photo

Masking is a patience game, especially with hair. For fine hair its better to remove it and add in fly away hair with a fine brush because in most cases the hair is just too fine to retain a realistic look. learning the tools needed to move about and zoom will help and if you have a scroll button on your mouse you can set it to be used as zoom in Preferences (Ctrl+,) in the Tools Pane.

Editing the mask layer by painting either black or white is also a useful tool in getting a clean mask, switching between black and white is as easy as pressing X Make sure the colours are set to black and white first, black removes, white reveals. To get straight lines click in one place then move the cursor and click again while holding down the shift key.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

27 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Take a look at this video: masking with a complex photo

Masking is a patience game, especially with hair. For fine hair its better to remove it and add in fly away hair with a fine brush because in most cases the hair is just too fine to retain a realistic look. learning the tools needed to move about and zoom will help and if you have a scroll button on your mouse you can set it to be used as zoom in Preferences (Ctrl+,) in the Tools Pane.

Editing the mask layer by painting either black or white is also a useful tool in getting a clean mask, switching between black and white is as easy as pressing X Make sure the colours are set to black and white first, black removes, white reveals. To get straight lines click in one place then move the cursor and click again while holding down the shift key.

Hi...

Thanks for your feedback. Actually this was not my question.
I did the masking exactly like it is described in the Video.

My problem is something different:

first picture:

-          Mask is done – everything is ok!

Second picture (PROBLEM):

-          Once I disable the mask or try to edit the mask (with brushes Black or white), affinity phote creates ugly artefacts. Something like a echo on the colors (see picture close to the heads)

From my point of view:

If I disable the mask I would have to see the original picture without any changes (third picture).

But this is not the case.

I hope this will clarify the problem.

Thanks!

Thomas

Hi trommlertom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Don't select New layer with mask in the Refine Selection dialog. Duplicate the original layer instead and for the Refine Selection output select Mask only.

The dev team is already aware of it. This issue is logged to be looked at.

17 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi trommlertom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Don't select New layer with mask in the Refine Selection dialog. Duplicate the original layer instead and for the Refine Selection output select Mask only.

The dev team is already aware of it. This issue is logged to be looked at.

HI MEB,
Ok, it is a software problem - I understand.
So I will use your suggested workaround instead.

Thanks for your feedback.
Merry Christmas!
Thomas