You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

On 9/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, Bri-Toon said:

I see what you mean. Why didn't it occur to me that the sneak peeks of Designer 1.7 would also be in Publisher? That "Transform" section for the Node Tool is new!

I think in APub beta we can see some of @Ben's work that he showed off at the beginning of this thread in regard to the pen tool. It's really worth looking into it! There is even 'Snap Node Handles to Grid' implemented that was requested by many users (and which was not a favourite thing to do for Ben, if I recall correctly).

Currently I'm trying to understand 'Construction mode'.

Thank you @Ben, I am looking forward to the upcoming 1.7 line of 'the Affinitys'.
d

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Oooh. Don't look too closely at Construction mode - that was a prototype that has (accidentally) been left in.  It might make it into 1.7, as long as it gets some approval here.

I'll go over it some time, and explain it to you all.  Essentially, it's a feature that allows you to add construction points, lines and circles to be used in snapping. I thought it was particularly handy for the Pen and Node tools, to help project snapping in a more advanced way.  I started by working out how I'd create a tangent at a mid point of the lines between two handles... it kinda grew from that thought.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

42 minutes ago, Ben said:

- that was a prototype that has (accidentally) been left in.

Too bad, because it looks promising :)

Happy coding!
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 hours ago, dominik said:

There is even 'Snap Node Handles to Grid' implemented that was requested by many users (and which was not a favourite thing to do for Ben, if I recall correctly).

Taking a look at Designer and Publisher side by side, it looks like Publisher took out the "Snap off-curve handles" and replaced it with two new snapping buttons. That last one enables you to use the construction tools, but since they're unfinished like Ben said, they're probably too early to play with. Though, I noticed that first construction button locks all the nodes.

6 hours ago, Ben said:

I'll go over it some time, and explain it to you all.

Thanks. I look forward to future details.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
On 9/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Taking a look at Designer and Publisher side by side, it looks like Publisher took out the "Snap off-curve handles" and replaced it with two new snapping buttons. That last one enables you to use the construction tools, but since they're unfinished like Ben said, they're probably too early to play with. Though, I noticed that first construction button locks all the nodes.

Thanks. I look forward to future details.

These features in Publisher Beta will be the same as what you'll get in Designer 1.7 Beta.  "Snap off-curve handles" is essentially replaced by "Align handle positions using snapping options". This just means turn on snapping for off-curve handles, using the same snapping methods as curve nodes.  That was my compromise for people who insist they need handle snapping (not just angle constraining and construction snapping).

The "Perform construction snapping" option turns on all the special angle and length finding features I demoed earlier in this thread. That will add snapping for both nodes and handles (see the demo videos). 

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...

It will be the best if ALL features in Photo (adjustments, effects, filters...) are not destructive.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I hope not. I was used to illustrating objects directly for many decades.

Immediately with AD I was wrong but later I realized that it is more functional as it is today where I select what I want without interfering with the rest.

Obviously this is only my experience.

56 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

Honestly, I hope not. I was used to illustrating objects directly for many decades.

Immediately with AD I was wrong but later I realized that it is more functional as it is today where I select what I want without interfering with the rest.

Obviously this is only my experience.

Of course there will be opinions both ways, I would prefer to have the option and be able to set it by default with a simple checkbox on the context sensitive toolbar "Select through holes" or something that sounds less lame. This trips me up daily when im trying to make complicated combined-circle based objects like character eyeballs.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

43 minutes ago, TonyO said:

Of course there will be opinions both ways, I would prefer to have the option and be able to set it by default with a simple checkbox on the context sensitive toolbar "Select through holes" or something that sounds less lame. This trips me up daily when im trying to make complicated combined-circle based objects like character eyeballs.

Yes, that or an additional checkbox in Preferences > Tools panel.

Also, selecting multiline text lines (artistic or paragraph) may be also confusing, since the selection is based on the bounding box that surrounds the text block... Another new check box for that would be nice :D

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any possibility to add Offset Snap set to certain Unit.

Demonstration in image below.

THX

BTW - Affinity guys, you are doing a great job with your apps.

image.png.7406aa43956ed07882015e2ad70da0b4.png

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• Staff

Hi Rondem,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. If need to use a specific distance frequently, you can work around this by setting the Nudge Distance to 6mm in Affinity Preferences, Tools section, Nudge Distance input field. Then snapping to the edge of another object and  pressing the cursor keys should move the current object that distance.

Well, Beta 1.7.02 is out, now i ask are we going to see :

1- Blend/interpolate tool (whatever you have planed to call it)
2- Select Subject (affinity photo)

Are we going to see it coming on the stage sooner than later ? it's simply needed !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

5 hours ago, Aaron Martin said:

What exactly is the issue with the move/selection vs transform issues. may i ask you to elaborate on that please?

It is a well known issue that has multiple posts on the forums of users complaining about the lack of precision when selecting objects as well as the inability to move objects once selected.

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

11 hours ago, Phil K. said:

It is a well known issue that has multiple posts on the forums of users complaining about the lack of precision when selecting objects as well as the inability to move objects once selected.

Ok , I didn't realize you were talking about the iPad version. Thanks for clarifying.