You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

On 8/16/2018 at 9:24 AM, InfoCentral said:

Got to wait for the Publisher Beta release first

You're probably right. Looking forward to that as well, but really hoping designer desktop gets some more love following that. :-)

Obviously, everyone looks forward to different features, and this topic isn't about that, but I can tell you what I at least hope for. Whenever I draw, I start a sketch in the Pixel persona, but I would like to be able to do everything in the Draw persona. So if there could be a way to have the confidence to do even a basic sketch in the Draw persona and then go on from there, it would help nail things down like proportion corrections, erasing, and redrawing. Currently, I use the bitmap tools for that, but I will say that I love that Node Tool sneak peek. That will surely work well in the vector operations.

And this is just my feedback. Like I said, everyone uses the software for a different purpose.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Me, I'd be happier than a pig in fecal material if you folks just took "the best of the best" features in products, both existing, such as CorelDRAW, and orphaned, such as Creature House Expressions. There's a lot to like with AD, and I'd just like to see it grow without falling while running, as some other commercial software has done.

Good luck, Jim. Other products will self-destruct in 10 seconds.

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬....

—g

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

3 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

There's a lot to like with AD, and I'd just like to see it grow without falling while running, as some other commercial software has done.

That's what I like about Serif. For a company that's been out for a long time, it hasn't gotten too commercialized to the extent in which it's wrong. They treat clients just the way they should, and they're very reasonable.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I am totally amazed by the implementation of the new Pen Tool options in Publisher, Ben! This is awesome work! Thank you so much for making these great and useful improvements! :)

Compared with Affinity Designer's pen tool, what improvements did you find?

15 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Sorry, that was a slip of the pen … ;)

I was thinking about the improved path editing capabilities, mostly associated with the Node Tool. :)

I see what you mean. Why didn't it occur to me that the sneak peeks of Designer 1.7 would also be in Publisher? That "Transform" section for the Node Tool is new!

8 minutes ago, catlover said:

Has anyone noticed the Page Origin Editing feature ?

Thanks for drawing my attention to this! I see that the tooltip for the icon on the toolbar says ‘Enable Page Origin Editing’ but the Help refers to it as ‘the Enable ruler origin editing icon’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My guess is it has to do with the difference  in the future update of both AFP & AFD : there the Ruler would "rule", hence RulerOrigin,
whereas in Desktop Publishing the  Page Origin is the usual nomenclature.
At least it was that way with Pagemaker and its ilk. 
Mind you.... is there a difference ??:)

23 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I see what you mean. Why didn't it occur to me that the sneak peeks of Designer 1.7 would also be in Publisher? That "Transform" section for the Node Tool is new!

Yep, we should start seeing new 1.7 features implemented into Publisher.

We've been using Fireworks for 17+ years.  These feature are a must in Designer, we've no desire to be switching between Photo and Designer and we'd really like to move away from Adobe on principal, but Designers not quite there yet for us: Here's a quick list we compiled, bare in mind we've only looked at Designer fairly briefly but we like it on early impressions and think it just needs a few extra features.

Apologies in advance if Designer does actually have any of these and we've overlooked it:

Misc

Easily apply textures to paths, shapes and text like you can in Fireworks via the properties panel - its a really useful time-saver.

Allow the use of Photoshop Plug-ins natively in Designer, please please please add this in Designer.

Vector Drawing/Editing

Transform Tools > Like Skew and Distort in Fireworks (free transform) options are needed - I believe its coming soon, this is a must?

Bitmap Editing

Rubber Stamp/Clone Tool is a frequently used tool in Fireworks for removing artefacts and touching up bitmaps and its a must in Designer, it a nuisance to have to keep switching to Photo for this very common tasks.

Productivity

In Fireworks there’s a command called ‘auto vector mask’ that quickly applies vector masks and fade out effects. Although it’s something that can be achieved with a a few more steps, I've always found it very useful for speeding things up and its frequently used. The extensibility and ability to create your own commands easily is a great feature of Fireworks too.

Other things:

Close All Open Documents would be useful

Save ALL Open Documents would be useful

Pages would be useful (I see its in the beta of Publisher) - I'm old school, don't like Artboards :)

Match the features of Fireworks and I tell you people will be switching to Affinity in large numbers, one of the gripes of the Fireworks community is Adobe trying to phase out Fireworks (they've been trying for years) and trying to force people to use 2 programs to replace what Fireworks does. I can't speak for everyone else but if you combine Photo and Designer into one seamless program we would be happy to pay a whole lot more than what your currently charging for your software. I don't know how the integration with Publisher, Photo and Designer will work but fingers crossed it is seamless rather than switching between apps.

3 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

We've been using Fireworks for 17+ years.  These feature are a must in Designer, we've no desire to be switching between Photo and Designer and we'd really like to move away from Adobe on principal, but Designers not quite there yet for us: Here's a quick list we compiled, bare in mind we've only looked at Designer fairly briefly but we like it on early impressions and think it just needs a few extra features.

Apologies in advance if Designer does actually have any of these and we've overlooked it:

The main thing you seem to have overlooked is the following, in the original post to this very long thread:

On 12/20/2017 at 4:26 PM, Ben said:

Thought I'd give you a glimpse of some of the features that will be coming in 1.7.

Please note - this thread is only for discussing the features detailed here.  Postings related to other feature requests should be posted on their own thread (else they will get deleted from this thread).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

the sarcasm

No, it's not sarcasm. You really should first find out where you write your requirements and suggestions, and not write them where they obviously do not belong.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Well, what I have to say about this:

- People really appear and start asking things out of the topic, and that can be annoying (I think I did it sometimes too).

- But I also think we could have more participative moderators, to guide and orient the new members of the forum.

- Sometimes, because of cultural and specific language characteristics, what people type here might seem sarcasm or lack of politeness. So I think that all members should try to be polite in their comments, even when they think that they were not treated with courtesy. 

- But most of all: if you are not in the mood to write a proper answer to a new and confused member, I think you should avoid joining the discussion because the last thing we want is to make new members feel they are not welcome.

@MCFC_4Heatons This thread is specific to follow up what's coming for Affinity Designer 1.7. You are welcome to read all of @Ben's posts in this thread, where the new features are being showcased. Please try to keep suggestions and feedback on the topic (most of Designer 1.7 features are focused in vector editing), and if you have more suggestions, I recommend that you first take a look at the forum topics to see if they were already approached in some way, so you can contribute to the discussions contextually. If you don't find what you are looking for, you are welcome to create new threads, with your suggestions. I think you have plenty of material to contribute :)

• Staff

Thanks, @hperticarati

I've not been keeping an eye on this thread so much (because I'm so busy writing code).  Yes - this thread is intended to discuss the things I've been working on for 1.7.  Unrelated suggestions and requests are just going to get lost.  If you have a specific request - put it in it's own thread.  Otherwise, don't complain when you think it's been overlooked or forgotten when it appeared on page 19 of 27 in a monster thread for an unrelated subject.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
On 9/1/2018 at 6:22 PM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Thanks for drawing my attention to this! I see that the tooltip for the icon on the toolbar says ‘Enable Page Origin Editing’ but the Help refers to it as ‘the Enable ruler origin editing icon’.

Yeah - those icons have now been relabelled - "Edit ruler origin", "Edit guides" an "Edit grid".  Should be obvious that they are toggled.

Also - the ruler origin widget (which is enabled by the toolbar button) allows repositioning, and snapping (using the usual snapping options).  As for editing from the ruler top-left box - someone might have a look at that later.  But, for now, you have the ability to perform the task - while not as optimal as some might like, how many times do you need to change the ruler origin??

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

19 hours ago, hperticarati said:

- But most of all: if you are not in the mood to write a proper answer to a new and confused member, I think you should avoid joining the discussion because the last thing we want is to make new members feel they are not welcome.

It goes both ways... This one IMO was polite (well, the question and the answers, if I compare to other situations) and very well detailed (even if maybe not really on topic), but have seen way too many complaints and requests from new members (and often is just their first post, not even saying "hello" ( and I do n't mean the introduce yourself thread, and yet often in a rude mood, or way too demanding) in a tone that is not just related to being new to a technical matter or a certain community. Is just being polite, manners. I have seen way more of those cases than non polite replies from old members, people around here is mostly gentle. And I couldn't be more sincere about my general opinion, here... It makes no sense to me, as politeness go much a longer way when trying to get something ( again, no issues in that matter with this request (apart from the OT), which is also informative about a different tool workflow from a specific team. That's always an interesting read)...

Also, in one way (and this is about the comment about moderators, many of them are programmers) or the other, I am seeing crazy activity on the forums lately (probably mostly due to APUB)... I'd understand if they can't even dream of attending all threads, as several of the ones replying are actual programmers doing a lot of stuff....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

Thanks @SrPx

It's a bit of a two-edged sword.  Having us (the devs) contributing directly on the forms means you get accurate responses.  It's not going to get any better than from the people writing the software.  But, the number of threads is going up and up, and we only have so many hours in the day.  Speaking for myself, I monitor threads that are closely related to stuff I'm working on, and any bug threads that get reported to me internally.  It's just impossible to read everything, so I don't.  Beyond that, we have some very reliable guys, like @MEB, that are very knowledgeable, and also refer stuff to the devs when necessary.

As for manners, yes - anyone that really wants something looking at is more likely to get our attention if they start off on the right foot - we don't take too well to abuse or accusations of being unprofessional.  It's always going to be frustrating when that one bug gets in your way - but think how frustrating it is for us too.  We take a great deal of pride in our work, so bugs are taken seriously.  But, there are also priorities, and as a new user you won't have the bigger picture.  Some longer standing users/forum members probably have a better idea if they've followed a lot of the main threads.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB