You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

1 hour ago, RobertShatty said:

1.7 will have Python API support ?? to Draw, Edit, Import, Export, and other automation.

I don’t think so. They’ve mentioned adding a JS API sometime in the future, but I don’t think they’ve committed to a date

12 minutes ago, AshTeriyaki said:

I don’t think they’ve committed to a date

I’m not surprised. Look what happened when they made premature announcements about the release of Affinity Publisher!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, RobertShatty said:

1.7 will have Python API support ?? to Draw, Edit, Import, Export, and other automation.

I don’t think so. They’ve mentioned adding a JS API sometime in the future, but I don’t think they’ve committed to a date

• Staff

@A_B_C This is something we've already considered.  The rubber band is really just a projected preview of the Pen tool.  This is something I can look into for 1.7.

As for Tunni lines - I've thought about it - it has been asked for in different ways, including selection of off-curve handles and showing the polygon bounding the bezier sections.  I don't know when we'd plan to do this, because it would require a whole new lot of tooling and commands to be written.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

6 hours ago, Ben said:

@A_B_C The rubber band is really just a projected preview of the Pen tool.  This is something I can look into for 1.7. 

If this is implemented, it should be a user-preference setting, as it is in some other apps. I personally find it annoyingly distracting, as many who "cut their vector drawing teeth" without it no doubt do.

JET

• Staff
12 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

If this is implemented, it should be a user-preference setting, as it is in some other apps. I personally find it annoyingly distracting, as many who "cut their vector drawing teeth" without it no doubt do.

JET

That is the reason it hasn't been added yet.  The consensus in the team here is that it is not really that useful at best, and distracting at worst.  Of course, like "snapping curve handles to grid", I'll be adding this due to reasonable demand. And, yes, it will be an option (defaulted to off).

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

The consensus in the team here is that it is not really that useful ...

Frankly, I see it as an unnecessary "comfort level" crutch for those new to drawing Bezier paths, and as I recall, that was the intent when it was originally added to other programs. But it's a false one in that it only actually predicts the next segment if the next node will have no curve handle. And it just adds visual clutter if you are working with automatic alignment guides turned on.

You've already added the "redrag" keyboard shortcut. The video clip doesn't show its being used in the context of moving the node currently being placed during mousedown, but I assume it will do that, as in other programs. That does accurately predict the shape of the resulting segment in all cases, whether a handle has been dragged out during mousedown or not.

On that topic, although I can sometimes make use of the redrag shortcut, I still winced a little bit when I saw it's being added. Many do not realize that the spacebar press is necessary in Adobe Illustrator just to overcome the infernal insistence of its Pen Tool auto-joining to endpoints of pre-existing paths. (The Pen is not a selection tool, and has no business affecting unselected paths. As of CS6, that stumbling-block behavior cannot be turned off in prefs. In other words, it's mostly a cumbersome workaround for a poorly designed behavior.

For anyone not getting this: It's a very common circumstance when drawing Bezier paths to want to start or end an independent path at the endpoint of a pre-existing path, without joining to it. So in Illustrator, to do that, you mousedown the Pen somewhere you don't want the path you are drawing to begin or end, press the Spacebard, drag the Pen to where you do want the current anchor to be placed, mouse up, and then release the Spacebar. Utter nonsense.

But I wince more strongly at the "rubber band" preview thing, because I consider it useless, and just another example of wanting ill-conceived interface elements "like Illustrator." 

Illustrator's is the worst-of-class interface. It is largely why beginners find vector drawing to be more bewildering than it really is. But those who've never used anything other than the conventional-wisdom "leader" don't know that.

Sorry for the sermon. I just want Affinity to jealously guard its elegance.

JET

• Staff

We are trying...

I had to cave in regardless of a very long explanation as to why snapping curve handles to grid points was practically and artistically a pointless exercise. All that you would ever really want is the ability to constrain curve tangents, and set handle lengths. Anyway - I was talking to the wind, and eventually had to give in to the one (odd) use case, which I still don't believe was valid.  Anyway, point being, that we hate having to add some of these features, but some people blindly insist that they "cannot work without it".  That quite often then turns into a 1/5 rating on the App Store.  You know, because that one daft feature (ignoring everything else we have in Affinity) that no one would ever really need if they thought it through properly accounts for 80% of their real workflow.... apparently.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
2 minutes ago, catlover said:

BTW : I am sorry for my post about the Transparency tool :57_cry:

I'll let it go this time...   ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

29 minutes ago, catlover said:

Thank you, Oh Great One !  

bb36fb39e86e9252df65aa6df35185680e92f4e9_hq.gif.eb212f9efe5b5d210b186eef9e5f4c74.gif

Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today

:(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 12/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, Ben said:

Thought I'd give you a glimpse of some of the features that will be coming in 1.7

- Place Image tool

Does "place" mean to import a placeholder, a la Adobe's terminology, or actually embedding image in doc?
Any chance Designer will get more drawing tools, specifically a Bezier tool for making smooth curves?

TIA,

Gary

On 12/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, Ben said:

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

7 hours ago, Ben said:

That is the reason it hasn't been added yet.  The consensus in the team here is that it is not really that useful at best, and distracting at worst.  Of course, like "snapping curve handles to grid", I'll be adding this due to reasonable demand. And, yes, it will be an option (defaulted to off).

Definitely as a pref please if added. I don't think I would want this as the defacto standard way to move points and curves around. :-)

Wow, developer collaborating with user community, that's great.

Many ask for features and enhancements, etc...

I have 2 humble ask:

1. Improve speed in both raw processing and adjustments preview refresh...Seems like the program is taking lots of CPU & Memory resources relative to other similar programs

2. Reduces the size of the Afphoto document file, its massive a few edits and it can be much bigger than the raw file from 50 MP raw file...storage is cheap these days but still not a good use of resources and make backup much more time-consuming...many other programs sidecar file are way smaller

I had to cave in regardless of a very long explanation as to why snapping curve handles to grid points was practically and artistically a pointless exercise. All that you would ever really want is the ability to constrain curve tangents, and set handle lengths.

I can't wait for the chronically-repeating threads in which newcomers ask why they can't position curve handles precisely where they want them, and have to be told to turn off that snap. ;-)

It's not uncommon to want to replicate the angles and lengths of curve handles across multiple nodes. But snapping curve handles to the grid is a crude way of accomplishing that.

JET