You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

58 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

but Lazy Nezumi Pro works with AD on my Windows 10 computer. 

Hi @αℓƒяє∂,

thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into what my setup causes the trouble :/

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

It works fine on my desktop machine and on my Surface Pro, both running current version Windows 10.

JET

Thanks. I'll try it next on my second (older) machine.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

1 hour ago, dominik said:

I'll try it next on my second (older) machine.

Lazy Nezumi Pro installes and works fine on my older PC. Very interesting tool :)

As I am not much of a painter I am not sure if I will benefit, though.

d.

2 hours ago, dominik said:

As I am not much of a painter I am not sure if I will benefit, though.

I’m not a painter, but I like the effects I can achieve with LNP’s scripting feature (especially fractals drawn with the L-System functions).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m not a painter, but I like the effects I can achieve with LNP’s scripting feature (especially fractals drawn with the L-System functions).

I agree. This and radial an parallel lines are great. Perhaps also for pattern design. I first have to get it to work on my main computer :/

d.

Is there a way to turn a rubber band (path preview) for the pen tool? This is really a nuts and bolts feature.

Is there a way to make the selection in the align menu permanent? For example, I want the shapes to align to last selected object. If I align them in the menu, it works as exected. If I align them by clicking the direct icons in the toolbar, the key object is disregarded. It is very cumbersome having to click twice and waiting for the menu to show up. (I know the animation is not that long, but just clicking the icon is way faster)

Is there a way to align nodes with the align tools? Currently if two nodes are selected, it aligns the whole object to the artboard. 

These are pretty essential things for my workflow and are all present in Illustrator.

44 minutes ago, babmo said:

Is there a way to turn a rubber band (path preview) for the pen tool? This is really a nuts and bolts feature.

Is there a way to make the selection in the align menu permanent? For example, I want the shapes to align to last selected object. If I align them in the menu, it works as exected. If I align them by clicking the direct icons in the toolbar, the key object is disregarded. It is very cumbersome having to click twice and waiting for the menu to show up. (I know the animation is not that long, but just clicking the icon is way faster)

Is there a way to align nodes with the align tools? Currently if two nodes are selected, it aligns the whole object to the artboard. 

These are pretty essential things for my workflow and are all present in Illustrator.

The 3rd last paragraph is already answered. 

• Staff
On 5/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, babmo said:

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain?

On 5/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, babmo said:

We currently don't have a key object. You can opt for first/last selected, but there is no visual indication of which object this is.  The fast alignment keys only align to the selection bounds.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 hours ago, Ben said:

We currently don't have a key object. You can opt for first/last selected, but there is no visual indication of which object this is.

I think using the selection color and line styles (or other visual indicators in the selection) would be great for this and other uses. See here for a related idea concerning using the selection color for symbols:

Symbol handles.png

• Staff

Only, the selection colour comes from the colour assigned to the Layer.  This defaults to blue, but it is user definable.

So, we can't use colour.  Line pattern/thickness is one option.

Also, the selection box you've illustrated contains the whole selection - it isn't per item, so can't be used to indicate which item in the selection is the key item.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
On 5/18/2018 at 8:09 AM, A_B_C said:

Still missing the ability to move a node pressing spacebar while pulling the handles (like in AI). It really makes tweaking curves a lot easier/faster.

+1 :)

Ok - I've added this capability.  Was a bit more involved than I thought...  I've done it so that Space redrag will move just the node for the edited handle, even if there are multiple nodes selected. This gives a subtly different but useful editing capability to just moving the node.  It will allow you to move an isolated node, and allow for snapping to the other selected nodes.

There was also a lot to think about to ensure that all the stuff I've previewed before continues to work correctly, and updates after the node position is changed.

Anyway, enjoy the video:

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Great stuff as always Ben! Expanding into this, can you disable node handle manipulation when multiple nodes are selected? Like, pressing some combination of keys will disable them. Because, the annoying part of designer is when you're zoomed out and trying to move several nodes at once, instead of doing that, you manipulate the node handle.

• Staff

I'd like to say yes, but I think we've run out of modifier keys for editing nodes.

I'll see if I can come up with something.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

7 hours ago, Ben said:

Only, the selection colour comes from the colour assigned to the Layer.  This defaults to blue, but it is user definable.

So, we can't use colour.  Line pattern/thickness is one option.

Also, the selection box you've illustrated contains the whole selection - it isn't per item, so can't be used to indicate which item in the selection is the key item.

For me, marking special objects would more useful than defining layer colors, but I understand there are many users that love being able to change layer colors. Just for reference, below I show the symbol Xara Designer uses to mark objects that repeat on all pages. As for the key object, maybe adding small symbols like this would be a solution. I'm sure there must be a way.

Thanks again.

DesignerPro_2018-05-24_14-08-59.png

• Staff

We are somewhat constrained by the way we have chosen to provide editing of the multiple selected objects.  As I said before, the UI ornamentation relates to the entire selection - so any indicators for state related to a single object in the selection needs to be clearly tied to that object.  An icon relative to the selection box won't indicate which object within the selection has special state.

The only immediately visible indicators would relate to the outline of the selected shapes, which we do for each object in the selection.  This is not obvious when selecting a rectangle, since the selection box overlaps the shape outline.  Any other shape, and you can see the object outline.

That said, this all relates to a feature which we'd have to give much more consideration to.  As for other indicators, related to symbols, that'd be something that @MattP would be best to comment on.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 minute ago, Ben said:

We are somewhat constrained by the way we have chosen to provide editing of the multiple selected objects.  As I said before, the UI ornamentation relates to the entire selection - so any indicators for state related to a single object in the selection needs to be clearly tied to that object.  An icon relative to the selection box won't indicate which object within the selection has special state.

The only immediately visible indicators would relate to the outline of the selected shapes.  We outline the selected objects.  This is not obvious when selecting a rectangle, since the selection box overlaps the shape outline.  Any other shape, and you can see the object outline.

That said, this all relates to a feature which we'd have to give much more consideration to.  As for other indicators, related to symbols, that'd be something that @MattP would be best to comment on.

Understood. Anyway the idea would be to mark only the key object inside the selection, not the selection itself. Marking the selection would make sense for symbols only. And I'd love to hear from @MattP about a way to show symbols in the main area.

Taking another gander at the original post, I'm interested to see what the new possibilities will be with these tools.

The core tools are:

- Move tool

- Pen tool

- Node tool

- Shape creation tools

- Text tools

- Fill and Transparency tools

- Place Image tool

- Vector Crop tool

These are the only two tools with no Context Toolbar options, yet there will be new possibilities.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
On 5/26/2018 at 4:54 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Taking another gander at the original post, I'm interested to see what the new possibilities will be with these tools.

These are the only two tools with no Context Toolbar options, yet there will be new possibilities.

Might have to have a look at that. The changes I made were largely back end, adding snapping capabilities, and allowing editing of guides across all the named tools.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Different subject altogether : AfPhoto Feature request for the upcoming new version :

Please, Please can you  add a Transparency Tool in  AfPhoto   such as exists in AfDesigner ??!!

It really would make a world of difference  !

As always : you're doing a grand job regardless !!

3 hours ago, catlover said:

Different subject altogether : AfPhoto Feature request for the upcoming new version :

Please, Please can you  add a Transparency Tool in  AfPhoto   such as exists in AfDesigner ??!!

Hi @catlover,

if you have AD you can switch to Designer and add a transparency there. OK, this is not as fast but has the same effect.

In APh you can add a mask to a pixel layer and then fill the mask with a gradient from white to black. This is about the same thing as the Transparency Tool does. Except that the mask can be much more detailed (if not just a gradient) :)

d.

• Staff
4 hours ago, catlover said:

Transparency tool is a Designer tool.  If we put all the Designer tools into Photo, there would be no need for Designer.

...and you'd eventually end up with a behemoth tool that doesn't focus on one main user group. Like some other competitors you might have heard of.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB