You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Regarding the Pixel crop tool (for resizing and cropping the document, not the vector Crop tool) - I've already rewritten this for 1.7, so if your issues are with this tool, wait for 1.7.

But I thought you're the developer for AD and not AP. 

• Staff

No - I am a core Affinity developer.  I've done large amounts of the common back end code.  I've just spent a lot of time working on tools in Designer as they tend to be more involved than pixel based tools (which tend to operate around pixel selections, which we already have).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

No - I am a core Affinity developer.  I've done large amounts of the common back end code.  I've just spent a lot of time working on tools in Designer as they tend to be more involved than pixel based tools (which tend to operate around pixel selections, which we already have).

Oh okay. So now I want to ask, why is there no sneak peeks for AP? 

• Staff

Because I haven't got anything I want to show you...

I've done some general work, adding Presets to various tools and grids.  Not really worth putting in a video - it'll be fairly obvious when you get 1.7.

I have also worked on a couple of tools for Photo, but they are not ready to demonstrate.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

15 minutes ago, Ben said:

Because I haven't got anything I want to show you...

I've done some general work, adding Presets to various tools and grids.  Not really worth putting in a video - it'll be fairly obvious when you get 1.7.

I have also worked on a couple of tools for Photo, but they are not ready to demonstrate.

Or maybe you are working on some great new tool that is a breakthrough and you dont want to share it yet. Its fine Ben. ;);) 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if on the Mac side the OS version requirements will remain identical with upcoming/future versions and new products like Publisher? It's really quite pleasant to be able to use Affinity products on OS versions going back to 10.7 without having to worry about conflicts. Please keep it that way if at all possible. :) Too many Mac programs seem awfully restricted by OS version.

Hi Devs Team

Want to know if it will be possible to apply color to layers.

i've seen something like in actual version but still it's not working by default.

being able to set color to layer will help find our way into design projects as sometime, naming a layer is not always enough.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

On 03.05.2018 at 3:35 AM, Arnaud Mez said:

Hi Devs Team

Want to know if it will be possible to apply color to layers.

i've seen something like in actual version but still it's not working by default.

being able to set color to layer will help find our way into design projects as sometime, naming a layer is not always enough.

You can already set layer color, but only for layers which you have added by clcking add layer button in layer panel. I personally do not undrstend why you cant set it on other layers, at least on group layers.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:34 AM, TextusGames said:

You can already set layer color, but only for layers which you have added by clcking add layer button in layer panel. I personally do not undrstend why you cant set it on other layers, at least on group layers.

Hi @TextusGames That one i know but i was talking about something correctly working for all layers and not like the one we actually have which is working on one layer then not working on the other one etc...

i believe that possibility to allow us set colors to working layers in a proper way without it bugging will be of great help.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
On 18/04/2018 at 9:25 AM, retrograde said:

@Ben will aligning work with selected nodes?  Align horizontally or vertically for example?

Say I select the right side nodes from a rectangle and right side nodes from a square (2 separate shapes) and I want only the selected nodes to align vertically...? Will this be possible?

Yes. I've coded up alignment for the Node tool. So, you can use the Alignment panel to align the selected nodes in the Node tool, as you would align layers/objects in the Move tool.

I've also prototyped some widgets for doing snapping alignment, as an embellishment to the selection box.

NodeAlignment.mov

NodeAlignmentWidget.mov

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Maybe they are going to skip 1.7 and give us a higher version with a lot more options than we expect? :D

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Ben,

If path A is normally selected, and path B has a subset of its Nodes selected, can the selected Nodes of path B be aligned to the bounds of Path A? Or does that have to be done in two steps (aligning the sub-selected Nodes of path B, and then use snap construction guides to drag them into alignment to the bounds of Path A?

Also, if all of the nodes of a path are selected, can they be aligned? Or does an alignment just behave as if the path is selected at the object level, and not at the Nodes level?

JET

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Maybe they are going to skip 1.7 and give us a higher version with a lot more options than we expect? :D

Maybe they are not going to skip a version number but still give us a lot more options than we expect! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Yes. I've coded up alignment for the Node tool. So, you can use the Alignment panel to align the selected nodes in the Node tool, as you would align layers/objects in the Move tool.

I've also prototyped some widgets for doing snapping alignment, as an embellishment to the selection box.

NodeAlignment.mov

NodeAlignmentWidget.mov

Good job.

Any hopes for node spacing?

And ability to somehow add node right at the midle of 2 nodes (vertically and horizontally, without consideration of curve). Or ability for node to middle snap between 2 nearest nodes while moving it?

• Staff
1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

Ben,

If path A is normally selected, and path B has a subset of its Nodes selected, can the selected Nodes of path B be aligned to the bounds of Path A? Or does that have to be done in two steps (aligning the sub-selected Nodes of path B, and then use snap construction guides to drag them into alignment to the bounds of Path A?

Also, if all of the nodes of a path are selected, can they be aligned? Or does an alignment just behave as if the path is selected at the object level, and not at the Nodes level?

JET

Using the alignment widget, you could align the nodes and position them relative to some snapped position in one move - and that could be inline with the bounds of another object (if you snapping setup accordingly).  The widgets for node alignment will allow you to snap the alignment target line wherever you want.  If you just click on the widget, it'll align at the widget position (either left, centre or right of the selection box).

If you select all the nodes, and hit align - they will all align.  Using the Alignment panel, it'll align to whatever 'thing' you said to align to - selection box, page, margins, etc.  If you use the widgets, it'll align to the target position you set during dragging.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

6 hours ago, Ben said:

NodeAlignment.mov

NodeAlignmentWidget.mov

Really nice implementation on this @Ben exceeds expectations again! Dang, now I have to rethink how I work... ;) Goes without saying, awesome job.

I wonder why the Align drop-down has the Done / Cancel buttons.

Presumably, because it allows for combined actions, such as Align Centered Vertically plus Space Evenly in Horizontal Direction in one step. :)

On 1/30/2018 at 2:40 PM, Bri-Toon said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, it would be nice if Designer were to have a perspective tool; that's what they call it in CorelDRAW and Xara, in any event. It cannot adjust a group of shapes across more than two dimensional planes, because everything you draw in Designer is a 2D plane But you can simulate the look, and it helps to have the target group bound to a rectangular shape, so you can use the shape to align the four sides of the target group, to say, a photo of a blank billboard.

I would love to see such a feature, and I'm only pointing to programs that have a perspective feature—and an enveloping feature—to make quick work of putting something "inside" the background rather than on top of.  Ihope this is of some use! :)

perpective 1.png

perspective 2.png

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png