You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

• Staff
16 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Soooo..... Is it done, Ben? 

Yes.... thought I'd mentioned it already..?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

And, for anyone who wanted Lasso node selection...

LassoNodeSelection.mov

To use it, in the Node tool with a curve layer selected, you just hold Alt and either click to start polygon mode or drag to start free hand mode.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 hours ago, Ben said:

LassoNodeSelection.mov

To use it, in the Node tool with a curve layer selected, you just hold Alt and either click to start polygon mode or drag to start free hand mode.

YES!! Cheers Ben.

I am really looking forward to 1.7. All of these path/tool improvements are going to make a huge difference for my workflow and output. Love the option/alt implementation on this too. Slick. ;) 

7 hours ago, Ben said:

LassoNodeSelection.mov

@Ben this is just ... Whoooooooooooow
Please there are few you can share just to prepare us, please do.

Give me time to sit on my chair and grab my folk and spoon ... the food smells good since you have added this affinitizer

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Nice, Ben.

I hope everyone knows that the sensible, useable polygon behavior of this is absent in the Lasso Tool in Adobe Illustrator (even though its raster version has long been present in Photoshop).

...in the Node tool with a curve layer selected...

However, does this not work if the path(s) are not already selected? And it's not limited to one path, correct?

JET

• Staff
7 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

Nice, Ben.

I hope everyone knows that the sensible, useable polygon behavior of this is absent in the Lasso Tool in Adobe Illustrator (even though its raster version has long been present in Photoshop).

However, does this not work if the path(s) are not already selected? And it's not limited to one path, correct?

JET

Yes - you have to have the layer/object selected first, then the unselected handles become visible - you can then select the handles using one of the three selection methods.  It was already like this for the Node tool curve node selection. Until the curves object is selected (in the Layers tab or on the page) you can't see the curve nodes.

You can also select multiple Curve objects, and select nodes across any of them.  Curve nodes selection effectively works as a sub-selection for a selected Curves object.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
8 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

Shh. Not so loud. They might start taking notice. ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

I have a little more refinement.  I figured, if you are going to use the polygon mode, you ought to be able to edit the polygon you are placing to fine tune the selection.

So, will be able to click to delete a point, drag an existing point to reposition it, and drag mid-line to insert a point.  You will finalise the selection by hitting Return, or closing the path by clicking on the root point, or dragging the end point onto the root point.

LassoNodeSelection2.mov

I'm thinking about also making the polygon mode Undo/Redo aware - so you can undo and redo changes to the selection polygon until you commit it.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
1 hour ago, Oval said:

and storable and use any curve as a selection/guide, …?

Probably not.... This is only for fast selection of nodes, and doesn't require any fancy UI additions.  What you are asking for is quite an involved feature and would require significant new UI and changes to existing UI.  With that amount of change we have to weigh up the value of the feature over the additional complication and UI clutter.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

43 minutes ago, Ben said:

Probably not.... This is only for fast selection of nodes, and doesn't require any fancy UI additions.  What you are asking for is quite an involved feature and would require significant new UI and changes to existing UI.  With that amount of change we have to weigh up the value of the feature over the additional complication and UI clutter.

I don't think that you need to add that now or even the whole 1.x version. It's a spontaneous idea that doesn't currently exist in the roadmap. 

3 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I don't think that you need to add that now or even the whole 1.x version. It's a spontaneous idea that doesn't currently exist in the roadmap. 

I understand your enthusiasm, but try to put yourself in the devs' position, being bombarded with tons of feature requests that might only be used in a specific situation. You've been suggesting a ton of stuff in the past few pages, and I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing, but think of a way to implement it or give your ideas more thought then post a list of requested features instead of making pages after pages of spontaneous ideas.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

14 minutes ago, blureshadow said:

I understand your enthusiasm, but try to put yourself in the devs' position, being bombarded with tons of feature requests that might only be used in a specific situation. You've been suggesting a ton of stuff in the past few pages, and I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing, but think of a way to implement it or give your ideas more thought then post a list of requested features instead of making pages after pages of spontaneous ideas.

But I support Ben decision to not make more lasso selection tool in the mean time. Also, I didn't request much. I commented a lot but not requesting any. The last request I made involves me making an UI of my feature concept so I don't think it was spontaneous. 

4 hours ago, Ben said:

This is only for fast selection of nodes

In other words, in the future there will also be an advanced selection (perhaps in a new Persona) that will allow even more complex selection editing? 

4 hours ago, Ben said:

What you are asking for is quite an involved feature

Many thanks for the explanations, Ben. Sorry, we didn’t ask for a feature. Because you wrote “thinking about”, we thought about (what could be already on the internal roadmap and) what else would be thought. We did not want a Selection Persona. But perhaps it makes sense.

I purchased Affinity Photo pretty recently as an Adobe Photoshop refugee. I'm hoping to have some minor annoyances fixed:

• Crop tool: It needs to use a hairline for the cropping rectangle so you can crop to exact pixels, and it needs to snap to object boundaries, so you can quickly crop the canvas to fit what you have on there.
  • Zoom: The zoom keeps changing back to fitting the window all the time. This is irritating when you want the zoom to keep to whole steps (25%, 50%, 100%, 200%, ...)

These might not be super important if all you do all day is edit photos, but it is pretty important for pixel design work, and I did a significant amount of that in Photoshop.

Thor,

Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry that you are having issues but this isn't really the thread to post in for those things. This thread was set up to discuss things that are going to be added to 1.7. For the crop tool issue, I recommend that you make a separate request for it (and give a detailed explanation as to why it would be good to have it added). The issue you are having with the zoom you could post in the "Questions" thread or in the "Bugs" if you feel it is a bug. 

Best regards,
Hokusai

On 4/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Thor, the Norseman said:

I purchased Affinity Photo pretty recently as an Adobe Photoshop refugee. I'm hoping to have some minor annoyances fixed:

• Crop tool: It needs to use a hairline for the cropping rectangle so you can crop to exact pixels, and it needs to snap to object boundaries, so you can quickly crop the canvas to fit what you have on there.
  • Zoom: The zoom keeps changing back to fitting the window all the time. This is irritating when you want the zoom to keep to whole steps (25%, 50%, 100%, 200%, ...)

These might not be super important if all you do all day is edit photos, but it is pretty important for pixel design work, and I did a significant amount of that in Photoshop.

Crop tool feels pixel-inaccurately, crop lines are too fat and soft looking so its hard to know where exactly pixel borders are if you need to be more precise

I would like to have thin 1 pixel sharp crop tool lines (that grid rectangle) like Rectangular Marquee Tool is :)

CropToolIsBlurry.jpg

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

@Ben will aligning work with selected nodes?  Align horizontally or vertically for example?

Say I select the right side nodes from a rectangle and right side nodes from a square (2 separate shapes) and I want only the selected nodes to align vertically...? Will this be possible?

• Staff
14 hours ago, Thor, the Norseman said:

Can you put these requests in their own thread, please.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Regarding the Pixel crop tool (for resizing and cropping the document, not the vector Crop tool) - I've already rewritten this for 1.7, so if your issues are with this tool, wait for 1.7.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB