You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

• Staff

You can set the aspect ratio lock button, then any change to H will also affect W by the same ratio.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

why not?

try using "sqrt(x)"

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

It's a balance between "accelerating workflow" for infrequent tasks, and adding UI clutter that the majority of people will never use.  Currently, a lot can be achieved by putting formulae/expressions into a lot of the edit boxes on the transform panel and other places.  Adding another box on a panel will only be a shortcut to doing exactly the same task.

I've worked a lot on our expression parser, and added a lot more capabilities to it.  Currently this is a big work in progress, and I'm holding it back from 1.7 until I'm happy with it.  I'd also like to add some more involved UI for showing what the expressions can do, such as a function list, and some form of presets - though this is still very much in the concept stage.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

15 minutes ago, Ben said:

why not?

try using "sqrt(x)"

Where we can find which function can we use in expressions?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

It's a balance between "accelerating workflow" for infrequent tasks, and adding UI clutter that the majority of people will never use.  Currently, a lot can be achieved by putting formulae/expressions into a lot of the edit boxes on the transform panel and other places.  Adding another box on a panel will only be a shortcut to doing exactly the same task.

I've worked a lot on our expression parser, and added a lot more capabilities to it.  Currently this is a big work in progress, and I'm holding it back from 1.7 until I'm happy with it.  I'd also like to add some more involved UI for showing what the expressions can do, such as a function list, and some form of presets - though this is still very much in the concept stage.

That's why I advice you (IF you want to implement it) to put it behind an "advanced" button like your grid and axis manager.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Where we can find which function can we use in expressions?

It's partly documented in the help file, but that needs more work.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

15 minutes ago, Ben said:

It's partly documented in the help file, but that needs more work.

Do you plan to finished it in near future?

Where it can be found in HELP file?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Do you plan to finished it in near future?

Where it can be found in HELP file?

Look up "expressions for field input"

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Documenting the expression capabilities is not realistic since each input can have different constant or use different functions, so I'm looking at what we can do in UI to expose a context based assistant of some kind - again, this is just in the concept stage.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

Documenting the expression capabilities is not realistic since each input can have different constant or use different functions, so I'm looking at what we can do in UI to expose a context based assistant of some kind - again, this is just in the concept stage.

!.8 foreshadowing? Also, you still have a lot of time until 1.7 dropped so *wink*. If it makes it too cluttered, can't you just put advanced button in it?

• Staff

Maybe, but until we do the first 1.7 Beta I can cram unpolished features in.  As soon as 1.7 hits Beta it makes it harder to do features because they still have to be as close to final as possible.

I especially have to be careful not to add features that we later change or retract that leave people's documents broken.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Maybe, but until we do the first 1.7 Beta I can cram unpolished features in.  As soon as 1.7 hits Beta it makes it harder to do features because they still have to be as close to final as possible.

I especially have to be careful not to add features that we later change or retract that leave people's documents broken.

When does the beta will be published? I didn't know there is a beta version you can try before the update is released. 

• Staff

Not yet - we are still in 1.6 cycle.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

14 minutes ago, peter said:

Ooh! Rotate on a plane: that's 'prop-air' useful. It's like popping decals on a model kit. Nice:D

It sounds as though you’re thinking of a different kind of plane to rotate on, Peter! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, rubs said:

I hope... some new features, yes, but lots of important bugs fixed.

I took @Fatih19’s post to be asking whether version 1.7 would be essentially ‘feature complete’ once it reaches the public beta stage, or whether there might still be scope for new features to be added in response to issues raised during the beta.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I took @Fatih19’s post to be asking whether version 1.7 would be essentially ‘feature complete’ once it reaches the public beta stage, or whether there might still be scope for new features to be added in response to issues raised during the beta.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. 

20 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Yes, that's what I'm asking. 

Yep. I believe the betas exist for refining and bug fixing, so I'm pretty confident there will be room for improvement. I'm just reminding the nice guys at Serif (again) that they first need to get their current features working before they implement new ones. There is a overwhelming amount of known bugs, serious flaws and performance problems in 1.6. Some of them were even introduced quite recently and are still not fixed to date.

On 2/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, Ben said:

Yes, it will be.  I still maintain that snapping handles to grid positions is limiting as far as control of curves goes, but people insist it is important, so I'm adding it.

You will be able to snap handles to anything that you can snap nodes to. But, the option will have to be turned on as an additional snapping option for the Node tool.  This will work in addition to all the smart snaps I've added for setting handles directions and lengths.

I'll do another video soon to show this...

Soooo..... Is it done, Ben?