You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

• Staff
On 08/04/2018 at 7:01 AM, Max Basok said:

can you add an abbility to change area of an object numerically? it would be very handy for optical compensation of uneven shapes

Sorry, not sure exactly what you are asking for..?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

This is my suggestion on grid creation.

5acb49bbcb82b_QuickGrid.png.39f3d503d0f3e82f5aa529ca9cd35e2a.png

I wanted to make an adventure time style hands. I already made the finger and the arm. I want to make multiple finger that is parallel to each other. I need the help of a grid to do such thing. But oh no, i didn't know the angle of the straight path of the arm! What should I do?

5acb49b81d554_QuickGrid2.png.0e6af4903024ec5ac61e0ec8419c1696.png

Feature suggestion : 
I should be able to make a grid from a selected path (which should be straight). By clicking RMB and press "make quick grid".5acb49b91c149_QuickGrid3.png.7abd845028dfcbddac1be04f09750444.png5acb49bb2dc74_QuickGrid4.png.50e66a8637a9d8c0ace25c7bb58fe975.png

• Staff

What you should do?  You should watch the video of the "Grid fitting" widget already demonstrated.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

FittingAGrid.mov

Shows for grid planes, but will work for any angle in 2D also.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Sorry, not sure exactly what you are asking for..?

think @Max Basok is asking for something that depends on an area measurement feature which we don’t yet have (but this is pure guesswork on my part, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

think @Max Basok is asking for something that depends on an area measurement feature which we don’t yet have (but this is pure guesswork on my part, of course).

IMO, Affinity should have that for symmetrical polygon, circle. And some asymmetrical polyon (rectangle, arbitrary triangle)

19 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Also, I wonder what is the toolbar on the most left? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.o.O

I don’t see anything new on the extreme left in @Ben’s video. O.o

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

IMO, Affinity should have that for symmetrical polygon, circle. And some asymmetrical polygon (rectangle, arbitrary triangle)

I’ve never seen an asymmetrical rectangle! :P

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I just edited it. It was right.

Actually, it was wrong before and it’s right now, but I know what you mean! :D

The new group of icons on the extreme right of the toolbar looks as though it offers some interesting possibilities.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Rectangle is an asymmetrical square. And square is a polygon.

Rectangles, squares and arbitrary triangles are all polygons. Arbitrary triangles are asymmetrical, isosceles triangles have one axis of symmetry, and rectangles (including squares) have two axes of symmetry. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Rectangles, squares and arbitrary triangles are all polygons. Arbitrary triangles are asymmetrical, isosceles triangles have one axis of symmetry, and rectangles (including squares) have two axes of symmetry. ;)

Yes, they are polygon. I mention them separately because in the previous sentence I mention symmetrical polygon instead of just polygon. :)

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(Where's that hippy emoticon?)

I’m afraid I don’t have a hippy emoticon readily to hand, Garry. Will this beatnik do as a substitute? beatnik.gif

Alfred spacer.png

Any chance of tangent snaps within a range of the cursor? This is super useful in CAD type programs like Moi3D which I use even for a lot of 2D stuff because of its snapping. I've attached a few screenshots to show how a line can be drawn and snaps are pre-highlighted, then the end result, and a practical use shown for a user interface design where two dials are joined by a background marking.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 4.01.00 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 8.59.28 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 9.14.18 pm.jpg

I've seen some of the videos that Ben has been posting in this thread and, if the same kind of care and attention is being given to the rest of 1.7, it's going to be a seriously impressive upgrade.

Some of the videos look like a kind of "And here's what we'd like it to do" mock-up, until you remember that it's what it actually is doing.

@andrewsimper Snapping to/with tangents would be a great feature. Not sure how it would work (and not technical enough to get into that conversation), but useful. (Something like it was mentioned on January 17th but I think that was just about snapping handles and not nodes.)

• Staff
59 minutes ago, andrewsimper said:

Any chance of tangent snaps within a range of the cursor? This is super useful in CAD type programs like Moi3D which I use even for a lot of 2D stuff because of its snapping. I've attached a few screenshots to show how a line can be drawn and snaps are pre-highlighted, then the end result, and a practical use shown for a user interface design where two dials are joined by a background marking.

This is another request that seems simple, but probably isn't.

We use cubic Beziers to represent everything internally, including circles and ellipses.  There is no "pure geometry".  Due to this, we'd have to evaluate the curve to determine the potential tangents to a given point.  This can't be done precisely.  If we had true circles/ellipses we could precisely evaluate the tangents using the equation for the ellipse and tangent line, but this is a drawing program, not a CAD program.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Just now, Ben said:

This is another request that seems simple, but probably isn't.

We use cubic Beziers to represent everything internally, including circles and ellipses.  There is no "pure geometry".  Due to this, we'd have to evaluate the curve to determine the potential tangents to a given point.  This can't be done precisely.  If we had true circles/ellipses we could precisely evaluate the tangents using the equation for the ellipse and tangent line, but this is a drawing program, not a CAD program.

Illustrator doesn't have this so if you implement this you can dab on them. Is that a valid argument?