You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

3 hours ago, voitek said:

What's the estimated release date?

If there is one, how would it help you to know what it is?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/14/2018 at 11:08 AM, Alfred said:

No, it's not the same at all! A tracing tool would find all the shape boundaries in a bitmap image and create closed curves to mark those boundaries. The 'Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape' feature will simply take a "marching ants" selection and create a vector shape to match. :)

That's interesting, Can you point me to where I can find the 'Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape' feature in AD, thank you :-)

8 minutes ago, graphxlord said:

That's interesting, Can you point me to where I can find the 'Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape' feature in AD, thank you :-)

It’s on the Affinity Designer Feature Roadmap.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

Does 1.7 include global style feature? A way to control stroke, gradiant, fx simultaniously in several objects?

You can already do that, just select multiple objects at the same time and you can apply any of those changes to all of the selected items at once.

This will require me to ,as you said, select multiple items which can get frustrating if those changes have to apply to many items such as 50 or 100 in different artboard scattered around a work, and to redo the whole process again for later editing. Im suggesting a workflow that doesnt require selecting and getting the job done in just a few clicks. Similar to how global color works. 

1 minute ago, Aaron Martin said:

This will require me to ,as you said, select multiple items which can get frustrating if those changes have to apply to many items such as 50 or 100 in different artboard scattered around a work, and to redo the whole process again for later editing. Im suggesting a workflow that doesnt require selecting and getting the job done in just a few clicks. Similar to how global color works. 

Click on the very top layer/artboard then shift click the one on the very bottom, this will instantly select every object then you can apply the same color, stroke, effect, or gradient to all of them.

1 minute ago, EricGD said:

Click on the very top layer/artboard then shift click the one on the very bottom, this will instantly select every object then you can apply the same color, stroke, effect, or gradient to all of them.

Thanks EricGD for your suggestion. But that simply doesnt solve my issue if the objects or layers i need to change are not all together, specially when the shapes which requires editing are grouped or nested in other shapes. 

Does 1.7 include global style feature?

Aaron,

You're on the right track in mentioning graphic Styles, but not sure what you mean by "global" styles.

Working with graphic Styles is what you need. But what's missing is a means by which to select all objects throughout the document to which a given Style has been applied (so that you can then simply apply another Style), or by which to edit or replace a Style by replacing its attributes with a differently-styled object (so that the edit automatically cascades to all object to which that Style is already applied). 

For me, that's one of many features which I hope the Affinity team is planning to do more thoroughly than, for example, Illustrator's small handful of "select same..." commands, which itself was a very weak answer to Macromedia FreeHand's extensive Graphic Find & Replace feature.

(Insert here my customary rant that Styles, Strokes, Brushes, Path Ends, and Symbols should not be a grab-bag of standalone features, but should all be thoughtfully integrated with each other.) ;) 

JET

On 17/03/2018 at 5:05 PM, Aaron Martin said:

Does 1.7 include global style feature? A way to control stroke, gradiant, fx simultaniously in several objects?

I think that @Aaron Martin was pretty clear in what he asked: GLOBAL STYLES.

That means:

- a set of multiple object properties (fill style, stroke style, brush, effects, gradient, transparency, corner radius, etc) that can be configured and saved in a global styles list, with a user given name;

- the style can be applied to multiple objects;

- once the style is updated, all objects with that style applied to them would have their appearance updated in real time, without having to find each one of them, select and then update style, which is a tedious non productive task.

It would also be nice to have:

- Create a global style from the selected object.

- Save the global styles in a shareable / external library document

- An object with a global style applied to it, could have it's properties overwritten, without affecting other objects with the same global style. However, user could be able to "update global style from selected object" or "reset changes to match global style".

1 hour ago, maxsteenbergen said:

I noticed Illustrator's Blend tool is one the Roadmap a well. Is that planned for 1.7 as well, and will it allow us to have gradients follow an arbitrary path?

I don't think it is Illustrator's Blend tool that is on the Roadmap, I think it is Designer's Blend tool that is on the Roadmap (or it might be Affinity's Blend tool). ;)

19 hours ago, Hokusai said:

I don't think it is Illustrator's Blend tool that is on the Roadmap, I think it is Designer's Blend tool that is on the Roadmap (or it might be Affinity's Blend tool). ;)

I like that mentality. But, what else you can add to a blend tool?

But, what else you can add to a blend tool?

First thing that comes to mind is an option to have the interpolated steps of a blend uniformly spaced along the length of its spine path, as opposed to their distribution always being subject to the curve handles.

Another is for it to correctly handle distribution along closed paths.

JET

On 20/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, Ben said:

The core tools are:

- Move tool

- Pen tool

- Node tool

- Shape creation tools

- Text tools

- Fill and Transparency tools

- Place Image tool

- Vector Crop tool

Hi Ben would like to know more about the shape creation tool you have mentioned here. 

My experience, I've found it better to work with Designer pen tool than what other software, I tried with others but ended hating the pen but now Adesigner made it possible again. 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff

...I just meant the tool(s) that create the dynamic shapes - such as Cog, Star, etc.  They are already well documented, and fairly easy to use.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Maybe he is polishing features and doing some neat stuff under the hood to improve the heart of Affinity. :P

Best regards!

• Staff

Node alignment...?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB