You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneak peeks for 1.7

10 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

This is about using a 2D grids feature and live 2D transformation features in software to help facilitate a 2D axis-based drawing discipline which dates back to long before computers, just as traditional "vanishing point" perspective construction methods also long predate computers, and are facilitated in some 2D drawing programs.

JET

This is what I am talking about:

Advance Vanishing Point

• Staff

It's nothing like what the Vanishing point thing in Photoshop is doing.  That is a destructive raster filter.  We are talking about live objects that continue to be editable - and vector, not raster.

So, no, nothing like it at all....

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

This is what I am talking about:...

The Vanishing Point Filter in Photoshop is similar in concept, in that it is a 2D construct and it allows you to drop flat artwork onto and rotate it upon a grid to simulate a surface. Its' an elaboration of what you could do in Photoshop with the Free Transform tool, prior. But again, it is all about raster imaging, not vector artwork. And as you can tell from its name, its intention assumes converging perspective, not parallel perspective.

Moreover, though, as I said earlier:

The capability proven by the [rotating star] demo is useful in itself for..."sending" the logo to the various planes...[and]...rotating it as needed on those planes. But its ramifications are much larger.

But the real power represented by the rotating star is in how it will play into empowering an illustrator to "draw directly into" a parallel perspective view of objects which are not so conveniently "boxy" in shape and neatly aligned parallel to each other.

An interactive axonometric grid feature facilitates axonometric construction, which is about much more than just distorting a flat image to look like it's on a flat surface of a box. It assists you in drawing objects of all kinds of shapes with mechanically-correct proportion. For example, the samples below are all about drawing "directly into" isometric viewpoints. Very little of it is about dropping objects drawn "in the flat" onto boxy surfaces:

AxoExamples.png

JET

2 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

The Vanishing Point Filter in Photoshop is similar in concept, in that it is a 2D construct and it allows you to drop flat artwork onto and rotate it upon a grid to simulate a surface. Its' an elaboration of what you could do in Photoshop with the Free Transform tool, prior. But again, it is all about raster imaging, not vector artwork. And as you can tell from its name, its intention assumes converging perspective, not parallel perspective.

It sounds like an exciting feature. I look forward to using it. I really like the fact that this would be a vector based solution. Keep up the good work! :D

I was redirected here from my topic. I didn't read everything in discusion, only Bens post, and din't find what I want to write (if I didn't overlook something).

I hope in next update will be snap to grid for node handlers while handler is draged. I mean handlers for make straight line in to curve.

Another option is make symetry options for handler. That means, opposite handler will have same lenght as edited. If you don't understand what I want say, I can provide pictures or video. Here is my thread:

• Staff

@Drevo

All these things have been explained in this thread.  They have been done, and will be in the 1.7 Beta.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Hi Ben, 

It was me who redirected @Drevo from the other thread as i wasn't sure if his requests were already fulfilled or not with the changes introduced in v1.7.

Do you mean that will be possible to snap node's handles to the grids in version 1.7. If i remember correctly It wasn't clear from the discussion it this could/would be implemented or not.

I was also aware of the symmetrical handles improvements but wasn't sure if it would be possible to edit them simultaneously (that is changing the length of one side will immediately be reflected on the opposite side in a single operation).

• Staff

Yes, it will be.  I still maintain that snapping handles to grid positions is limiting as far as control of curves goes, but people insist it is important, so I'm adding it.

You will be able to snap handles to anything that you can snap nodes to. But, the option will have to be turned on as an additional snapping option for the Node tool.  This will work in addition to all the smart snaps I've added for setting handles directions and lengths.

I'll do another video soon to show this...

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff
18 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Fatih19,

This thread was/is mostly for discussing/get feedback for the upcoming features. We didn't gave any eta for v1.7 release.

I believe It should become available as a beta soon after the release of the desktop versions of Photo and Designer (1.6.7).

Yes - that question was already answered right at the start of the thread.  It was made clear that this is all work in progress, and that there is no current date for 1.7 Beta.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

The question is, when will it be launched? It's already 3 months. 

Patience is a virtue, young one.

Best regards!

P. S.: I'm just guessing, but maybe by the end of this year. Let's hope for a solid launch. :)

On 1/16/2018 at 0:09 PM, Ben said:

Ok, Here are some videos to demonstrate all the snapping that I've added for handles.  Please note, I'm not talking about snapping to grid, I am talking about snapping to useful construction angles relative to the opposite curve point and handle.

So, the following snaps are shown:

1) Snapping to smooth a cusped node - SnapToSmooth.mov

2) Snapping to inline, and 90 degrees to inline - SnapToInlineAndNormal.mov

3) Snapping to reflected angle - SnapToReflected.mov

4) Snapping to parallel direction - SnapToParallel.mov

5) Snapping to 90 degrees of parallel - SnapToParallelNormal.mov

6) Snap to logical triangle (useful for square corners?) - SnapToTriangle.mov

The useful thing about these snaps is that they will enable you to perform common curve construction, completely independent of grid or set axis.  You can use them in tandem with a second action while holding Shift to snap the handle lengths to match the preceding or following handle (while maintaining the direction you already snapped).

I know I'm way behind the times in spotting and commenting on your post here, but ... WOW!!! This looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it when you're ready to unleash it on us :) Thank you for all of your hard work.

19 hours ago, Ben said:

Yes - that question was already answered right at the start of the thread.  It was made clear that this is all work in progress, and that there is no current date for 1.7 Beta.

So this thread will be updated as new feature is added to the 1.7? 

On 1/17/2018 at 0:09 AM, Ben said:

Ok, Here are some videos to demonstrate all the snapping that I've added for handles.  Please note, I'm not talking about snapping to grid, I am talking about snapping to useful construction angles relative to the opposite curve point and handle.

So, the following snaps are shown:

1) Snapping to smooth a cusped node - SnapToSmooth.mov

2) Snapping to inline, and 90 degrees to inline - SnapToInlineAndNormal.mov

3) Snapping to reflected angle - SnapToReflected.mov

4) Snapping to parallel direction - SnapToParallel.mov

5) Snapping to 90 degrees of parallel - SnapToParallelNormal.mov

6) Snap to logical triangle (useful for square corners?) - SnapToTriangle.mov

The useful thing about these snaps is that they will enable you to perform common curve construction, completely independent of grid or set axis.  You can use them in tandem with a second action while holding Shift to snap the handle lengths to match the preceding or following handle (while maintaining the direction you already snapped).

Goddamn this is good! After you finished all of this snapping, can you fix the UI of it? Make it a separate window instead of a tab. And make it look less of a text block. This could improve the workflow of many people. Highly appreciated ;)

• Staff

So this thread will be updated as new feature is added to the 1.7? 

It will be updated with any features I do relative to drawing - curves and snapping.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Goddamn this is good! After you finished all of this snapping, can you fix the UI of it? Make it a separate window instead of a tab. And make it look less of a text block. This could improve the workflow of many people. Highly appreciated ;)

Are you talking about the snapping options panel?  It's not a dockable tab.  It can exist as either a popout, or a modeless panel (like the grids and axis panel).

What do you think would improve workflow as far as snapping options goes??

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Regarding Snapping.

If I may be so bold as to ask for the following addition:

User-Configureable keyboard shortcuts to the little snapping tool submenu (see attachment).

Toggle on/off per separate snapping possibility. snap-to-nodes.jpeg.96337540bf56973e5087da59139b7e50.jpeg

Right now there is a row of snapping keyboard shorts possibilities visible in the bottom menu bar,

but you need to have a veritable spider-like hand to reach the shortcut keys xD

A very BIG spider at that...

I think it would be great to be able to assign a shortcut.

Thanks a million for doing a great job already  !!!

CL

2 minutes ago, catlover said:

Regarding Snapping.

If I may be so bold as to ask for the following addition:

User-Configureable keyboard shortcuts to the little snapping tool submenu (see attachment).

Toggle on/off per separate snapping possibility. snap-to-nodes.jpeg.96337540bf56973e5087da59139b7e50.jpeg

Right now there is a row of snapping keyboard shorts possibilities visible in the bottom menu bar,

but you need to have a veritable spider-like hand to reach the shortcut keys xD

A very BIG spider at that...

I think it would be great to be able to assign a shortcut.

Thanks a million for doing a great job already  !!!

CL

Yes! 

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Are you talking about the snapping options panel?  It's not a dockable tab.  It can exist as either a popout, or a modeless panel (like the grids and axis panel).

What do you think would improve workflow as far as snapping options goes??

Not the option, the UI. If you want some references, look at Inkscape snapping UI. I think you can make it like that but, make it a window (like layer panel and brush panel. My point is, I'm not talking about the capability, I'm talking about the accessibility. It's easier to change snapping option if it's not a block of text. 

• Staff

Not sure I'm a massive fan of the Inkscape snapping icons.  I get the point though.

There is one difference in the way I'm tackling snapping.  We have a separation of general and tool-centric snapping.  Some snapping 'features' are only really applicable within a tool.  For example, snapping of curve node and handles only really applies to the Pen and Node tools.  So, I'm not putting options for those in the general snapping setup panel.  If every tool that has some form of local snapping had their options in the general panel, it'd get very full.

So, for 1.7, there were some snapping options that have now become tool centric.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 2017/12/21 at 0:27 AM, Ben said:

And, here is a video glimpse of some of the improvements coming to the Node tool.

NodeTool.mov

From the video, the similar effect seems to be possible with the symbol feature:
First draw the graphic in a symbol, and then skew it.

What are the advantages of this new feature of 1.7 compared to the symbol approach? Is there any feature not shown in the video?

• Staff

I'm not sure what you are saying...?  This feature has no similarities with symbols.

This is transformation of a sub-selection of curve nodes. It can't be done any other way in Affinity.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB