You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing sequence for RAW images - opinions sought

Hi

I'm relatively inexperienced in the finer details of photo-editing but have been getting the hang of using the 'photo' persona and have become fairly comfortable with a range of steps.  On the understanding that the result would give me higher quality images, I have recently started taking all my photos in RAW format which of course takes me to the 'develop' persona.  There, as you all know, one can make the same kinds of adjustments as one can when using layers in 'photo'.  So, my question is, how does one decide where to make the adjustments, or which persona to use for which adjustments?  Should I try and do everything that I can before hitting 'develop'?  Are there any rules of thumb?

And a related question to this is:  why are there differences in procedure between 'Develop' and 'Photo' personas for achieving apparently the same ends?  I'm thinking particularly of levels adjustments.

I'd be grateful for opinions and even some guidance!

many thanks

• Staff

Hi Shoogles,

One thing to consider is that the adjustments made in the Develop persona are destructive once you click on the Develop button to switch to the Photo persona. A non destructive develop mode is a feature that may be added in a future update.

• 1 month later...