You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I've got some problems using the soft proof adjustment layer in Affinity Photo. I am so far unable to replicate the behaviour of Adobe Lightroom (which worked pretty well).

I've attached two images here showing the difference in results (left side LR, right side AP). Gammut check is totally off in AP and the shadows are way to bright in the preview.

I'm using a color profile provided by the photo lab for their exposure unit and they specify exactly what settings to make for which of their products. In this specific case:

• Retain CMYK-numbers: n/a
  • Retain RGB-numbers: off
  • Rendering priority: relative colourimetric
  • Black point/shadow compensation: on
  • Emulate paper color: off

The shadows in the LR preview also get (somewhat) brighter if I turn paper color emulation on, however that is wrong and I seem to be unable to turn it off in AP...?

I hope I'm just missing some settings hidden in another dialog? It seems to me that AP sadly isn't usable for soft proofing in all cases...?

I would be grateful to get rid of LR, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Henning

gammut_check.JPG

relative.JPG

• Staff

Hi Ricewind, 

Thank you for the files

Me and one of my colleagues have tried to recreate this and unfortunately we aren't having any luck, please could you provide a screenshot of the SoftProofing screen in both apps so I can double check we are both using the same settings?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Ricewind,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you I am still looking into this with one of our other technical support agents I will make sure to give you an update by the end of the week with what we have found!

Thank you for your patience!

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff
If I open the image into both apps without Soft Proofing they look the same in both apps for me. If I enable the Soft Proofing Layer in AFP and select 'Simulate Paper & Ink' in Lightroom the image looks a fraction lighter in places within Affinity Photo.

However, the Gamut check appears to be different between both apps. Not sure why this is. Which of the 'Show Gamut Warnings' do you have selected in Lightroom?

Hi Leigh,

part of the problem is, in AP I can't choose whether the profile requires Paper&Ink simulation. According to the print service provider you're in good company, Capture One Pro for example is also lacking the functionality... But since LR or PS is your competition, it would be just great if you could implement it so I can abandon Adobe altogether :)

I used the "Destination Gamut Warning" in LR (see attachment). The warning areas differ hugely depending on whether Paper&Ink emulation is turned on or off.

Do you need another example image? Is there anything else I can provide to help you?

Thanks and best regards,

Henning

2018-02-22 18_48_54-Trouble with soft proofing - Questions - Affinity _ Forum.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

If the Soft Proof Adjustment Layer isn't currently working the way you need it to work then I would suggest that you use Lightroom's Soft Proof for this specific case. Again, please make a feature request for an option to enable/disable "Paper & Ink Simulation" - it could be something that our developers add in a future update/version.