You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Should I get Affinity Photo?

I do almost all of my work in Illustrator (or at least I did before my free subscription that I had from school expired).  So far, it seems like Affinity meets all of my needs and I'm pleased with it.  However, at work I sometimes have had to use Photoshop.  Mostly I just used it for resizing large groups of photographs to make them more appropriate a size for web display.  I used a bulk edit trick where I could save a sequence of edits to a file and then just have all of those edits applied to all the files in a specific folder.  Sometimes, though, I also had to crop out stuff to get a transparent background.  Otherwise, I never really used it much.

So, do I need Photo to do these things, or will Designer suffice?  I ask becuase I don't see anything like the magic wand selection tool, which was mainly what I used to remove white backgrounds when I had to, so I don't know if there's an easy way to do that in Designer.  Designer seems to meet all of my other needs, though, so if it can do these other two things (or at least just the second), I'll stick with that.  But if it can't, I think I'd better purchase Photo now, before the discount for it goes away.  Save myself an extra $10.

• Staff

Affinity Photo has the features such as Macros, which will record a series of steps/adjustments to then be applied to one or more images as part of a batch job. It also has the magic wand tool for making quick selections, Designer does have a selection tool within the Pixel persona.

Hi RJ21, 

I have used Affinity photo for a number of years now and I have never looked back as far as Affinity photos is concerned.  I have recently purchased Designer too, there is a little cross over but they excel in different things so I say do it. The selection tools in both apps are very good if used correctly I find. The macro feature of Affinity Photo is excellent too, I use it frequently and have made many a macro to make life easier.

Cheers

Reggie

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

Some of the tools might be named differently. Photo's magic wand tool is the Flood Select Tool.

Both Designer and Photo have another tool for removing backgrounds, the Brush Select Tool.

The major notable difference is that the Flood Select Tool only works for its selected layer while the Brush Select Tool works for all layers.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!