You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is making itself the default app for .jpg files. How to stop this?

I'm using Afinity Designer 1.6.0 on an iMac, macos 10.11.6.

I assume this happens after updates but I'm not sure. AD changes my system preferences and makes itself the default program for .jpg files. I am able to change it back but this has happened a few times. It's not cool to change my system preferences like this. I didn't notice anything in AD's Preferences that would affect this behavior.

Is there a way to configure AD so it doesn't assume it's the default program for certain file types?

• Staff

Hi BeepBoopBing,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We don't change user settings nor make the program the default app for image files. It must be something else. To change the JPG association back to the default Preview app, right click a JPG on any Finder window and select Get Info. In the Open with section select Preview.app then click the Change All... button below. When prompted if you want to change all similar documents to open with the application "Preview.app" click Continue. All JPG's should now open in Preview. See screenshot below for reference.

get_info_window.thumb.jpg.2f6251f0e3471ecd2f39adf2c8abff6d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes realize similar things also with other file extension associations under OSX. Lately I had the impression that maybe "Commander One", which I also use from time to time, may sometimes change default settings. In my case it's also often that instead of Preview.app, then Acrobat opens as default PDFs, or that PS opens PNGs and the like. - Have to observe that closer if it is that app which puzzles things sometimes or something else here. Though a right click open with... selection usually should also change the default associated with app here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Since you don't know what it is making changes to your Mac computer, check these few places on your computer for adware that may have snuck itself on.

• Your Applications folder
  • Right side of the menu bar
  • "All My Files" folder
  • Energy tab of the Activity Monitor

Also search Macintosh HD > Users > (name) > Applications.

This is a separate Applications folder from your main one. It won't necessarily show you where the mystery program is installed, but it will give you an idea of what might have been installed on the side. Then you can find the actual location with Spotlight and change the preferences or remove it.

If you don't catch anything strange, it wouldn't hurt to run First Aid with the Disk Utility.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 5 years later...