You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging shapes sometimes create inner lines

Hi,

First time poster, I'm learning Affinity Designer and am very happy with the results so far but ran into something unexpected.

I'm trying to merge some shapes and having different results. I've created two sets of shapes, shown below, and tried to merge them with the "Add" button (first one below):

5a3969926a8fa_SS_2017-12-19at5_33_10PM.png.e0d83e62d84501568ed75e93e62e98a1.png

When merging the (overlapping) ellipse and rectangle all works as expected -- the border is merged and is around the merged objects.

5a39681c39f50_SS_2017-12-19at5_19_21PM.thumb.png.459850d749f39e149f30f5427e42014b.png

When merging the hexagons things are not working as expected: there are still some lines that are "inside" the merged object.

5a39682530330_SS_2017-12-19at5_26_41PM.thumb.png.fa420e78373ed806bbd6f4e55d620473.png

It get much worse when I have 10+ hexagons added together.

I can edit the lines and try to remove some of the inner lines but it is too much work and some of the nodes, when deleted, mess up the whole figure.

How can I merge the shapes and get rid of the inner lines?

The hexagons were created by using the pen tool, snapping to the first point and closing the curve.

thanks in advance

Rafael

• Staff

Hi Rafael Santos,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of a few issues with the boolean operations. Some situations/circumstances may lead to inaccurate results - we have a few ones logged and intend to improve the code as we move forward to better cope with them. With that said you can easily prevent this from happening if you add an additional node on one of the edges that is overlapping other hexagon and drag it a little over the area of the other hexagon so their edges don't overlap anymore and both hexagons intersect each other (see reference image below). This way the Add operations don't have to deal with overlapping edges and should give you an accurate result.

boolean_operations_edges.png.1663ca21d5c2eb323dd6a62d52fe9b18.png

Hi Meb, obrigado pela resposta :-)

Thanks for the tip, I needed to be sure I wasn't missing something on this issue. 

In my design I was working with dozens of hexagons, pasted in different joining configurations. I will probably create some variants of the basic hexagon and add them together to see how it works.

thanks again

Rafael

I had this issue when making boxes with glue edges, I just created the shape I wanted with an overlap; I actually just created a reflection and merged them, then created assets from it, so now its very easy to make boxes.

example.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 years later...

Has there been any progress on this bug?

I am creating a 'swatch' shape with jagged edge and there are dozens of triangles along each edge that I need to combine with the inner square.

I realise I can add an overlap, but it'll be very time consuming for every little triangle (yes, yes, I could have used symbols then only had to edit one triangle, but too late now!).

5 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

I realise I can add an overlap, but it'll be very time consuming for every little triangle

Why do you need to do it for every little triangle? Can’t you simply drag on the edges of the inner square? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why do you need to do it for every little triangle? Can’t you simply drag on the edges of the inner square? :/

Because dragging the edge of the square results in an unwanted overlap, so the corners of the triangles no longer meet (see image).

Boolean Operation.png

7 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

Because dragging the edge of the square results in an unwanted overlap, so the corners of the triangles no longer meet (see image).

Thanks for the example. I can see the problem clearly now!

Alfred spacer.png

What about selecting all objects and then Layer > Create Compound You can also do alt + geometry add icon to create a compound shape.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

clearly now!

has the rain gone, Ive spotted several obstacles in my way already... 🤪

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

has the rain gone, Ive spotted several obstacles in my way already... 🤪

It was actually a bright, bright, sunshiny day here today, but it’s much too late for sunshine now!

Alfred spacer.png

On 3/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Checkmate said:

I am creating a 'swatch' shape with jagged edge and there are dozens of triangles along each edge that I need to combine with the inner square.

It seems that the more rotated triangles, the more rounding errors; or something like that. Boolean operations desperately need improvement!

But one edge alone seems to boolean-add without errors.
Then duplicate, rotate 90°, align, power-duplicate, power-duplicate, add all:

Edited by loukash
replaced *.mov with *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/20/2017 at 12:02 PM, MEB said:

we […] intend to improve the code as we move forward to better cope with them

Er, @MEB, any progress, 3 1/3 1/4 years later…?

Edited by loukash
see below

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

11 hours ago, loukash said:

Er, @MEB, any progress, 3 1/3 years later…?

<pedantry>
December was only three months ago, not four, so it’s 3¼ years rather than 3⅓.
</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png