You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi I am using Capture One for RAW, export either JPEG or TIFF and then further edit in Affinity (since yesterday - I am new to Affinity). However, when I edit perspective in Affinity to make verticals vertical :) , and then export as JPEG as 100% there is a significant loss of sharpness on the entire image. This happens regardless if TIFF or JPEG is edited.

Any ideas why?

• Staff

Hi Pietrach,

Welcome to the forums :)

Would it be possible for you to provide one of the files in question so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Original JPEG as came out from Capture One. I am happy with sharpness here. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FeLg_oTQdbBSYoNui88vrN0FGZOjxRgL

Image edited in Affinity. Above photo was opened in Affinity, Perspective tool used to correct verticals (Planes: Single Plane; Mode: Destination) then Apply. Then Export to JPEG at 100%. nothing else. When you look at 100% at the detail on the tower, you will notice a clear difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lIu6E1Vwbdln8m2PeWPpgYhRfp98caY1

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Pietrach said:

Above photo was opened in Affinity, Perspective tool used to correct verticals (Planes: Single Plane; Mode: Destination) then Apply. Then Export to JPEG at 100%. nothing else. When you look at 100% at the detail on the tower, you will notice a clear difference.

The loss of sharpness is due to using the Perspective Tool, which substantially increased the size of the tower. That required resampling the image to create pixels that were not there in the original image. Below is a comparison of part of the tower from each image, with the original on the left. You can clearly see that the tower is much larger than it originally was.

compared.png.5118425e3bf99796470c56ef9decc416.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The loss of sharpness is due to using the Perspective Tool, which substantially increased the size of the tower. That required resampling the image to create pixels that were not there in the original image. Below is a comparison of part of the tower from each image, with the original on the left. You can clearly see that the tower is much larger than it originally was.

compared.png.5118425e3bf99796470c56ef9decc416.png

Thank you so much. i anticipated such answer. So there is nothing I can do about this. Do you know of any other methods of correcting the verticals without stretching the image and the pixels?

thanks

• Staff

Hi Pietrach,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This happens everytime there's the need to interpolate or remove pixels from an image - scaling/resizing it up/down also leads to a loss o quality. The only thing you can do here is try to compensate the loss of sharpeness with an Unsharp Mask or High Pass filter or similar/advanced sharpen techniques to get some of the detail back. Go to menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer and check the second section/group of filters.