You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any way to import PS Styles?

One of my biggies here.  I've been using PS for over 10 years.  In that 10 years I've created ALLOT of styles and brushes and .... I already posted a question about abr brushes but now I'd like a little more info about the possibility to get my styles over to Affinity.  There MUST be a way or perhaps a way being worked on.  I can wait as long as I know it's coming. 

Also I made a quickie style in Affinity but when I added it to the palette the little gear that shows what it can do never appeared.  I just have a blank there.  Plus a couple of defaults icons went bye bye too!  Kinda strange! 

styles icons bye bye.png

From your screenshot I assume you are using Affinity Photo (because of the Channels tab) but in these forums it is always helpful to mention which app & which platform (Mac or Windows) you are using.

As in my reply to your other question about brushes, styles are stored in an undocumented proprietary format file. As far as I know, there is no way to 'convert' PS styles files into Affinity ones. The icons shown will depend on what the style includes -- if it includes no color info the icon won't show anything.

The default styles are just the 6 shown, so I am not sure what you mean about some of the default ones disappearing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, sorry.  Affinity Photo, fully updated on Windows 10. 

OK, well hopefully someone will come up with a way to import PS Styles at some point.  The only thing that Photo doesn't offer in that styles dialog is a way to layer in an image tile that I can see.  That would be a bit closer to my trying to recreate some of my PS styles.  It's not like I use all of them but it would be nice to have access to them again at some point.

I did find that by creating the style using one of the shapes that they now show up correctly with the gear icon but those two you see with no icons are ones that shipped with Photo so not sure why those two icons disappeared. 

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, RAMWolff1356 said:

... but those two you see with no icons are ones that shipped with Photo so not sure why those two icons disappeared. 

Are you sure about that? As I said, only the first 6 were included in the install of Affinity Photo on my Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can apply a style to an object in Photoshop, save the file as a PSD file and open it in AP

If the applied style looks the same in AP, right click the object and select Create Style, this will then add it to your styles in AP

This only works for "simpler" styles.

Styles in Photoshop that have no corresponding effect/style in AP will not transfer over to AP

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ah, OK about the 6 defaults.  I don't remember making any styles in AP so maybe my old brain forgot!  lol

So simple styles saved out in PS format will work in AP but the more complex ones with texture overlays added from within the Styles dialog in PS will not translate over to AP... I could have sworn in the old Serif PhotoPlus there was more in the Styles dialog including a texture overlay option with blend modes.  I hope they have that on their list! 

OK did a little test this AM with saving out 13 styles from PS in a layered file.  Some with textures and others without.  The ones without came in good but the ones with textures are ignored but the effect is there but just no textures.  So I did a little digging.  I was correct.  I no longer have PhotoPlus on board but I do have WebPlus on board as I will until they release Affinity Publisher but low and behold I was correct.  WebPlus Effects Dialog has a texture overlay feature under the 3D area.  I really really hope they are planning on putting this back in at some point... very very useful tool for quick fills for things like texturing 3D objects .....

Texture Overlay in WebPlus 8, Need that in AP.png

Make your own in AD out of the PS ones you have:

1. Export your PS style textures as JPG or PNG bitmaps
  2. In AD create a rect or other desired shape with no fill
  3. Select your previously created shape with the Fill Tool
  4. Change the Fill Tool settings at top to Bitmap, a file choose panel appears
  5. Load one of your from Step 1. as JPG/PNG exported PS textures
  6. Adjust with the handles inside the now with that bitmap filled shape in terms
    of size, orientation, rotation, pattern length etc.
  7. You can apply also a desired FX effects (3D, shaddows, glow etc.) now on the whole shape
  8. Create an own Styles category in the styles panel
  9. Add the selected filled shape into the styles category you created
    via the right click menu "Add Style" or instead via the styles palettes hamburger menu

That's the way you create your own styles in AD.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hmm, seems like a long way around the issue.  Again,  I hope they add back in the extra stuff under the 3D Styles menu eventually.. If you ask me the current 3D offerings is almost identical to the Bevel options so it's sort of silly to have both until they can repopulate the 3D panel with the missing elements they used to offer.