You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone have—or know of a site that has—any benchmarks of how Affinity products perform on the new iMac Pro, vs a standard 5K iMac? Startup, filters, the usual suspects are good benchmarks, though I'm very curious about RAW file handling time, as well. Throwing 42.5 megapixel RAW files at anything takes time, and although an iMac Pro may be a bit of a lavish expense, if all these numbers are significantly better than on a 5K iMac, it very well may be worth the upgrade. So long is spent watching progress bars instead of editing. Thanks for any and all help!

• Staff

Photo performance scales (roughly) linearly with number of CPU cores - so filters, adjustments, compositing etc. should be far better on an iMac Pro.

The initial "open" of a RAW file is only partly multithreaded - so the benefit will be less pronounced. We aim to improve this in future, however.

We also have plans to extend our Metal support to discreet GPUs next year - so this would also help to justify the iMac Pro.

We have ordered 10 core and 18 core iMac Pro units to arrive early January - I'll hopefully have more information at that point..

Thanks,

A

1 hour ago, Andy Somerfield said:

We have ordered 10 core and 18 core iMac Pro units to arrive early January - I'll hopefully have more information at that point..

I am curious about how you have configured the 18 core model -- I can only dream about such things but I noticed it is very easy to configure one with options that push the price to $10K USD & beyond.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

@Andy Somerfield thanks for the information! Very much looking forward to discovering how the 10-core system performs—that's really the one that I have an eye on, as a good balance of performance and price for the needs, based on information garnered from various podcasts' reporting. Very excited to see how the team continues to develop the Affinity line, and the hype is so very real for Publisher and the forthcoming photo management software teased on Twitter!

@Callum thanks for the welcome! My regards to the Sorceress. High-five He-Man for me, if you please. :3_grin:

On 12/19/2017 at 5:59 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

We also have plans to extend our Metal support to discreet GPUs next year - so this would also help to justify the iMac Pro.

Would that also apply to eGPU support, which would allow any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports to use a more powerful GPU than whatever one is built into it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 1/6/2018 at 5:59 AM, R C-R said:

Would that also apply to eGPU support, which would allow any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports to use a more powerful GPU than whatever one is built into it?

That's a good question. While I don't have one of the external GPU's yet I am interested in getting one.

• 4 months later...

Please update your findings, if the iMac Pro computers you ordered were delivered. Currently researching a computer that would be an  upgrade to my MacBook Pro and iMac.

Advice please on whether the 2017 iMac 27" would suffice with Affinity - or if I should move up to  iMac Pro. And recommended specs would be appreciated. ( I shoot with a Nikon D810 and my current computers can't handle the files)

On 12/19/2017 at 3:59 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

Photo performance scales (roughly) linearly with number of CPU cores - so filters, adjustments, compositing etc. should be far better on an iMac Pro.

The initial "open" of a RAW file is only partly multithreaded - so the benefit will be less pronounced. We aim to improve this in future, however.

Thanks,

A

Any updates?

On 12/19/2017 at 11:59 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

Thanks,

A

Can I have one of the 18 core iMac Pros when you've done with them, I live 14 miles away and can get there in 20mins ;-)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 12/19/2017 at 11:59 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

discreet GPUs

How much discretion is required? :/ :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

How much discretion is required? :/ :P whistling.gif

I'm thinking shower curtain at least and a large bath towel, maybe frosted glass too.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions