You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sheared Shadows Please

A number of ex-CA users are missing a very important feature, the ability to shear a shadow to the left or the right, and the ability to make the shadow smaller or larger than the original object. This is particularly important when creating a work that shows, for example, people walking or the shadows of buildings in the late afternoon sunshine.

The Outer Shadow is good at what it does, but appears to be limited in its options, there is no Shear X or Shear Y that I can find, and we miss the nodes to precisely position a shadow so that it falls on the ground at the side of a person, correctly positioned with the persons feet and shortened or lengthened to be commensurate with the angle of the sun, or other source of light, in the work.

I did create a passable effect by copying the object (a child running), applying 100% gaussian blur and changing the colour (I wanted a blue tinted shadow onto snow). Then I used the Mesh Warp tool to drag and shear the 'shadow' object down and to the left, positioning the shadow realistically under the foot. The result was passable, but it helped that I was placing the shadow onto a lumpy snowy ground so I could get away with imperfections.

Is there a way of fine-tuning shadows? If not, can I add it to the Feature List (I have looked through but didn't see anything)?

Hilary

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

If you select your object, apply an Outer Shadow effect to it

Then

Edit > Copy
Edit > Paste Special > Portable Document Format

You will get 2 new layers, one of the object without the shadow and another which is just the shadow of the object

You can then manipulate/distort the shadow layer however you want.

I believe this Edit > Paste Special > Portable Document Format option is available only on Windows versions of AP and AD

shadow.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

I believe this Edit > Paste Special > Portable Document Format option is available only on Windows versions of AP and AD

It is not available on my Mac versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you all,

Haakoo: the gaussian blur etc is exactly what I invented for myself (so I'm pretty pleased that I invented something good!), I just didn't find it very easy to come up with such perfect shadows - a little practice and I suspect that I will find it easy, it's good to see such a good shadow as an example.

Carl123: the method you describe I would never have thought of in a month of Sundays! I have both Windows and Mac versions so I shall have a go at that; thank you also for such a great example. Thanks R C-R - I'll definitely try it on Windows then.

To the Powers That Be - we (a group of CA refugees, you'd know all six of us!) would still LOVE to have some extra options to the outer shadow Effect, our workflow would be greatly enhanced :D

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

This was my work flow. I duplicated the object, applied the gaussian layer and changed the colour. Then I used the Mesh Warp but it crashed the program (separate thread). When I restarted the program everything was fine, so I used the Mesh Warp again to bend the shadow, applied some transparency, ditched the deer and added extra snow.  This was done on the Mac,

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 09.36.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 09.36.39.png

My Flickr Album

Very impressive artwork!

Of dubious value, while I was testing the Mac versions for an Edit > Paste Special feature, I experimented with with a slight variation on Haakoo's method. Instead of duplicating the object, I made a 'marching ants' selection from it, added a new pixel layer, & filled the selection on that new pixel layer with a grey color using the Flood Fill (paint bucket) tool. I then applied the gradient & blur to that. The only benefit for this is if/when you might want to set the gradient & the FX fill to <100% opacity. Setting the gradient to <100% on a duplicate allows some of the duplicate's detail to show, which probably isn't what one would want for a shadow of an opaque object. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Maybe not for a shadow or opaque object, but could definitely be used for a reflection on metal or glass - what an interesting thought! I've just been looking through stuff I used to do in the 'scrapbooking' way and all the different skills and techniques we used and thinking that it's time to start doing wacky fun stuff again with photographs :) You've just given me A Good Idea :

The artwork is not my own :( it's from a scrapbooking kit by a very talented Lorie Davison, wonderful images to work with. I just have to pick and choose and come up with interesting layouts.

My Flickr Album

3 hours ago, Sunset said:

we (a group of CA refugees, you'd know all six of us!)

I can think of four including you and me, Hils, but I’m struggling to work out who the other two might be. :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

CA  users ?

Canadian people ?

;)

Edit: Seriously, no idea what CA stands for here...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

11 minutes ago, SrPx said:

CA  users ?

Canadian people ?

;)

Craft Artist, the incredibly easy to use scrapbooking software that Serif sold previously. So there are lots of us out there happy to move to Affinity but, of course, there are a lot of differences. And, being human, we get uneasy when we can't work out how to do something "instantly" in Affinity because we're always on a mission, things to do, photographs to scrap, art pages to make... :D

Alfred, I've just checked and there are actually 13 of us, hidden away, a self-help group. With you there would be 14 -if you ever join that particular part of social media. We can't be found in any indexes just because there are plenty of places that are like that.

My Flickr Album

I see... Affinity Photo and Designer are professional applications, a step quite big from a specific function application. But you will benefit from their flexibility. IE, in the shadows case, I knew the trick from doing it in Adobe PS, and also with a ton of extra realistic tricks that you can do when is not an automated or pre-made effect... . For example, a transparency gradation, so that the shadow diminishes as it goes farther, and/or a blueish very slight tone mixed with the shadows, as an almost transparent gradient (but use with caution!), as shadows tend to be colder, all depending in light surrounding, etc. Indeed, I also tend to do a gradation in strength of the application in the blur effect, as tends to affect more in the head (farthest point) in that shadow, than in the initial side borders near the feet, where is more solid and sharper, typically, in real life. Even sometimes if there's an extra lighting source from a side, it can produce extra lighting  over the shadow : A decreasing intensity from that side then, using another transparency mask (with a gradient), selection or whatever, then. For a not super realistic work you don't need all this. 

In general, the time lost in the rough first learning stages is only needed in more quantity at the start, later on the thing is quite smooth and practical.  (and actually, these UIs are pretty standard. My transition from Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator habits was specially easy...)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Living in the US, my first thought was it stood for California. xD

50 minutes ago, Sunset said:

So there are lots of us out there happy to move to Affinity but, of course, there are a lot of differences.

I am not sure how much it might apply to anybody else but the less I expect a new app to work like an older & more familiar one, the easier it is for me to learn how to make the best use of the new one.

Affinity Photo 

Yep, like in the thread where ACD Canvas is mentioned, basically do not try every application to behave like another one (even more if it is an older one), as that'd be a much harder path (doing so, trying to get its own philosophy, you get to enjoy the power behind a ton of applications that are very functional but have a different UI style). Is better to see "its ways" , get used to those, and see where reside its workflow advantages. :)  After a little more switching among applications, you see even very common ways between apparently different approaches; Each time, the switch gets easier, till a point is not hard, at all.

Like in most stuff in life, is best to remember what says that Japanese proverb :  " The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists " .  :D

Thinking about it, the nodes that we used to morph the shadows previously are probably not unlike using the mesh warp, just packaged differently for the user. I do agree with you all - and I did ask for ways of doing it and you all kindly helped out! I never hesitate to ask for a feature that I think would be an improvement, though - who knows, my luck might be in!

New ways of working is why I like Affinity Designer and Photo, and I am very much looking forward to Publisher. The previous programs were looking dated and most people were using Adobe or Corel, neither of which I could really afford, but I was happy with Serif and delighted when Affinity arrived. I'm pretty good at working out new ways of doing things - and pleased that I had worked out how to do the shadows, your joint confirmation of the method means that I can perfect that method now with confidence. It was always possible that I was missing something obvious amongst the tools and, apparently, I wan't missing anything at all :)

Happy days! I wonder what my next question will be... ?

Thanks again :)

My Flickr Album