Ralf_Maeder

4c color defined as 100% cyan and saved as PDF gets added magenta!?

I have several issues with colors and spot colors in Affinity Designer. 

One problem was found when making a simple test in order to test process colors (4c).

I created a new document with CMYK color format.

I created a new global color with the CMYK slider, Cyan 100%, M 0%, Y 0%, K 0%. 

Just for testing if Designer makes a difference, I also created a second color with RGB sliders, R 0, G 176, B 240.

Created two primitives. Each one is assigned one of the two global colors. 

Saved the document.

Printed with Adobe Printer (Adobe Acrobat Pro XI) and opened in the same application. When I choose print and advanced options, I see the 4 plates Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. Turns out that both Cyan colored primitives have 100% cyan and a percentage of magenta also. 

(For the sake of it, I also printed with Microsoft to PDF printer and the result is exactly the same.)

Obviously this is a big issue. A color defined as 100 Cyan should never end up as 100 Cyan and a bit of Magenta or anything else.

Ralf Maeder

See attached files.

Ralf Maeder

Cyan and magenta.jpg

Cyan.jpg

Cyan 4c and RGB.pdf

Cyan 4c and RGB.afdesign

Edited by Ralf_Maeder
I added a test result with another printer.

It is a profile to profile conversion. Your PDF is using the ISO Coated v.2 (ECI) profile and not the document profile.

Any of the PDF/X types will export your file properly.

If you use the PDF (for Export) or PDF (for Print) export profiles, then it will be wrong. I think this is a change and so a bug. I cannot recall this happening in the past.

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

It is a profile to profile conversion. Your PDF is using the ISO Coated v.2 (ECI) profile and not the document profile.

Any of the PDF/X types will export your file properly.

If you use the PDF (for Export) or PDF (for Print) export profiles, then it will be wrong. I think this is a change and so a bug. I cannot recall this happening in the past.

I posted my question in a Facebook group and got a useful explanation: I have to export the PDF file. Only then the CMYK colors stay intact. If I print a PDF with Affinity Designer, the CMYK colors are affected by the printer profile, which is always RGB. 

In my opinion, the printing panel of Affinity Designer should include some warning that the printed PDF is not suitable for PrePress.

I stopped printing to PDF, well, years and years ago. And evidently glossed over the fact that you stated in your opening post was printing to PDF--sorry about that.

Well, the FB group has misinformation as regards printing to the Adobe PDF driver under Windows, but is correct as regards so doing with an Affinity application. My post will apply, though, using the PDF Export option (which is what I did with your file).

Affinity applications should, when choosing a PostScript printer and choosing that color management is to be performed by the printer (versus the "app"), allow the correct CMYK profile to be used instead of only allowing an RGB one to be chosen.

That said, prepress can mean a lot of things. What is it you mean? For what do you need to print direct to versus exporting a PDF and printing from Acrobat or pdfToolbox?

35 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That said, prepress can mean a lot of things. What is it you mean? For what do you need to print direct to versus exporting a PDF and printing from Acrobat or pdfToolbox?

On occasion I do design jobs which need to be send to the Press. Living in Guatemala, Central America, up to this moment I used Freehand for this purpose, saving a vectorized Freehand file and a PDF for control, not as a final print file. With Affinity Designer, the only filetype with predictable results is PDF. I wasn't aware of the difference to either export a PDF or print a PDF with Acrobat Professional. I assumed Acrobat Pro would be more than capable of generating a more than apt PDF file, more than Affinity I assumed. Well, seems I was wrong about that.

Apart from that, I use Acrobat Professional in order to check correct spot color separation prior to pass the file to the Press.

But...is the the printed pdf used at the print establishment? If so, other than an exported pdf being larger, what's the difference? 

Or, are you actually wanting to produce separations for the print establishment? 

Sorry for the questions. I'm just trying to understand the work-flow. 

The offset-press would prefer native files for Adobe Illustrator, I am pretty sure of it. Since current Illustrator versions can't handle any more Freehand files (and operators are pretty much unfit to open non-native files or correct mistakes), my only safe way is to deliver a Final PDF for printing, which would be used by the PrePress studio to do the separations. 

I just want to be able to preview separations in order to prevent mistakes being made with applying correct spot colors (if present). 

Hope that makes more sense now?

Thank you for your patience. 

Pdf is what is used in any semblance of a modern work-flow and separated by the RIP. I have never turned over native files to a print establishment. 

Adobe Acrobat and pdfToolbox are soft-rips and are used to review those pdfs and sometimes produce the film for offset printing. Either work perfectly for those operations.

The only times I generate seps are for old work-flows  (one print establishment) or for screen printing  (I do films for a couple local places that don't have the capability).