You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have Samyang 7.5mm MFT lens. Before buying affinity photo I specifically made sure the lens is supported.
Now one thing to point out is that this lens generally doesn't have electronic contacts so its usage will not be listed in the EXIF data. I haven't found a way to set the lens in the software and given your post it doesn't seem possible and there isn't even a plan to make it possible.

Can you please explain how you are claiming the lens as supported if I'm not able to set it manually given that this lens will never show up in the exif data due to its lack of electronic contacts? Is there a way to get this to work?

Hi danusch,

as the Samyang is a manual focus lens, no contacts/chip, thus no lens information is sent to the RAW file's EXIF during shooting, did you tried if it maybe works when you alter an image Exif data manually with ExifTool before?  - Meaning here if you add/write the missing Exif data first to images with a tool before opening these in AP.

You can tryout something like the following via ExifTool ...

Here dir is the path to a directory of photos (or a single photo) you want to edit:

exiftool 'dir' -if '$LensType eq "NO-LENS"' -FocalLength='7.5 mm' -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat='15 mm' -LensType='Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye' -FNumber='3.5' -MaxApertureValue='3.5' -overwrite_original

Alternative call:

exiftool  -Lens="Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fish-eye MFT" -LensModel="Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fish-eye MFT" -FocalLength="7.5" -FNumber="7.5" -MaxFocalLength="7.5" -MaxApertureValue="3.5" -MinApertureValue="22" -TargetAperture="3.5" -LensType="Samyang 7.5mm F3.5" -m -overwrite_original_in_place YourFile.raw

... in order to see if it works at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
22 hours ago, danusch said:

Can you please explain how you are claiming the lens as supported if I'm not able to set it manually given that this lens will never show up in the exif data due to its lack of electronic contacts? Is there a way to get this to work?

If you follow the steps from v_kyr you'll be able to add the information (2nd method worked for me) to the image and auto-correction should work fine or you can manually correct it using the Lens tab in Develop and save a preset for next time.  

We don't currently have a way of manually loading a Lens profile and as we use the LensFun database for Lens correction, i suspect there will be a few lenses on that list that also don't record EXIF info and cause the same issue.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with the 12mm Samyang lens and a Fujifilm X-T1. Both are listed as supported. And yes, I'm aware that the Exif Data isn't complete. 

However, I nevertheless expected to be able to use the software without the need to learn programming! Can't you guys figure out a way to make that easier? 

The current situation is very annoying, I cn't use my lens - or AP -  like this and of course I would not have bought AP if I knew that this would be the case. 

I wonder if you're aware how your reaction looks to everyone who uses a mechanical lens and AP? You really chose the easiest way out. Danusch asked why you advertise that AP supports this lens if, in fact, it doesn't. At least not without heavy user preparations. It's sort of like advertising that one can drive a car with diesel and gas and at home you find out that, yes, that's possible if you yourself start to equip it with a second engine. Great! I'm sure there are people who can do that - but most can't. It's absolutely the same here.

I have now downloaded this ExifTools program and - apart from the fact that there's no known way uninstalling it - there is also hardly any information for non-programmers how to use it. I can also not at all understand the gibberish of this programming that v_kyr wrote in these two quotes. Believe me, most people are happy to finally be able to use these extremely difficult programs and then you start to ask them to learn the Terminal with Python or C++ commands or what not. 

So at lest be nice enough to make a video tutorial how to do that. There are tutorials who show how to open a file, what makes you think that anyone can do this programming thing?

Thanks for clarifying.