You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dust and scratch removal using scanner infrared information?

I am still climbing the AP learning curve, but already my compliments for an amazing piece of software.

I have a feeling the following should be possible, however I am not sure how to approach it.

I have a large number of slides and negatives, scanned with a scanner  (Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED) that also records dust and scratch information using a separate infrared channel. From these scans I can create both an RGB tiff file, which loads fine in AP, and an infrared tiff file, which also loads fine and shows dust and scratches as black on a white background.

My question is: can I use the IR file to automatically remove dust and scratches from the RGB image, preferably with some control over the aggressiveness of the effect?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi Jeroen and Welcome to the Forums,

I've been searching online for a couple of sample files so i can try a couple of things, but have failed to find any to work with.  Would you be able to upload the scanned tiff file along with the infrared tiff file and i'll do some playing around and report back.  Feel free to upload the files to our Dropbox link