Sign in to follow this  
ms.fuentecilla

Overlay erase brush

This issue was raised initially as a problem with the last beta but on testing I found it also occurs in the new established version of AP. The screenshot shows the use of the overlay paint tool - the brighter area - and the raindrops the result of trying to use the overlay erase tool to modify the extent of that overlay. Since I experiment quite extensively with imagery I use overlays frequently as a valued tool. In this instance the overlay delete brush appears to be painting in an erratic manner and not erasing. This does NOT happen with the overlay gradient tool overlays. You can check on the left of the image that the correct tool is selected.

Michael

Clipboard02.jpg

Hi Michael,
I answered in the thread Photo to Windows, klick here

Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703:   Affinity Photo-Beta 1.9.0.852:    Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.9.0.852:

Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703:  Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.9.0.850:    

Windows 10 Pro  (Version  20H2 Build 19042.630)

But on this image Clipboard03 it was back to the dotty - top edge of headland. Strange inconsistency and puzzling. With a few trials it might have something to do with brush size. Going over a few times with a larger brush size achieved a smoother result. Precision is sometimes more important though than here. I attach a complete screenshot so that what was being done is visible on the interface.

Clipboard03.jpg

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
Removal of first text further clarification

Some further information: this occurs when using the overlay erase brush AFTER applying corrections. It is much less apparent if this brush is used when the overlay is still shown as a mask. However, the overlay paint tool functions perfectly either way. My earlier comment about inherited brush settings was erroneous. Hope this is useful.

This still occurs in the new beta when the brush size is reduced to 2 figures. Larger brush sizes seem to work as intended but this limitation precludes detail manipulation of brush overlays.

The problem of the dotty or blotchy overlay erase brush remains in the 99 Beta. This is weird because the paint tool is generally good. It precludes good detail manipulation of the mask. It would also be helpful if the overlay paint tool didn't intensify when reduced in size. I have noted that there has been no mention yet in update fixes.

Thought that might be so. Interestingly also the Alt key can't be used to reverse the Overlay Paint tool. Thank you for the reply MEB

I have to add that a similar issue now occurs in the beta with the overlay paint tool. It might be connected with processor speed. Mine is not the latest, an i5 and the overlay paint tool 'stutters' in the same way, needing scrubbing to get any smoothness

The usefulness of the overlay brush tool will remain somewhat limited until the difficulty with the overlay erase brush tool is resolved. Because it won't spill smoothly it is impossible to use it with any hope of precision because scrubbing is needed to obtain consistency. Is there any hope of this, or should I seek another method?

Do these overlay brushes require a fast processor? Currently I use an i5 1,8. Might this be the cause of the difficulties?

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
amplification

Hello, I find it necessary to revisit this topic which I have set aside because I believed it might be my computer capability at fault. However, I now have a computer with core i7 8th gen, 12Gb memory and Nvidia G force and still have this problem with the overlay erase tool. It leaves much to be desired. A screenshot is attached. It makes a mess of cleaning the edges of brush overlays, needing constant scrubbing and repainting. 

Michael

Overlay_erase_tool.jpg