You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop, Straighten, Resize Canvas

Let me attempt to describe the processing of an image and the problem that resulted. I first used the crop/straighten tool to correct the horizon. Next I resized the image making it 4X6. To simulate the image having a white border, I changed the canvas size to 5X7. In doing so, the image was shown crooked on the canvas.

How do I fix this so the image displays straight after straightening the horizon??????? Urrrrrrgh.

5a34238b842db_ScreenShot2017-12-15at2_32_42PM.thumb.png.3c8fde2012e84244a0d55dba4ccaa0e8.png

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

Two suggestions:

Use Document > Clip Canvas. This removes any transparent areas after straightening.

Try the universal panacea Layer > Rasterize.

It is unclear whether to apply these after the first or second step. Try it and see.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Cropping is a non-destructive operation designed to allow you to undo the crop later if you want to but this non-destructive behaviour can cause problems with certain other operations such as resizing the canvas.

To prevent these problems you have to make the crop permanent (destructive) by Rasterising the layer after cropping.

Try this workflow

1.  Straighten and crop the image, then click Apply to exit the crop screen
2.  Right click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise
3.  Now you can safely resize the image and resize the canvas with the results you would expect

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Create a new layer, fill it with white, (or you could use 'New fill layer') select all then Select - Grow/Shrink by -150px (which is about 1/2") then press delete key. Simple and you'll have a nice border and retain non destructive project file.

Regards