You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change a black background

I have an image that has a black ground a few bits of images and some text on it. I just to change the black to some lighter colour that won't make my printer use a gallon of ink. Trying to do it by selecting and changing HSL doesn't work because black isn't an option. Ideally I just want to use the flood fill tool to do it but it doesn't seem to like filling on top of balcks.

Any Help appreciated but please don't use heavy techy language as I'm a novice

Cheers

If you put a Fill layer underneath the image, its colour will show through any transparent areas in that image. To make the black areas transparent, highlight the layer in the Layers panel and click on the Blend Ranges gearwheel to display the Blend Options dialog, and then drag the left-hand end of the Source Layer Ranges graph all the way down; to restore the opacity of the other content, drag the right-hand end straight across towards the top left corner.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't get the HSL solution to work as all the content got changed without making some complicated masks. The other solution certainly saves me ink so that's good.

On my old 1990s software I could chose a colour from the image and then substitute that colour with any other  using flood fill. I can't believe that this feature isn't hiding somewhere but that's progress for you.

Thanks again

I've had another go at the flood fill tool and managed to get it work more or less like I thought it should. I'm still not 100% sure what I did to get it to work and don't understand why the tolerance changes after I've set it but hopefully with another few days trial and error I'll get there.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Will Cain said:

don't understand why the tolerance changes after I've set it

After setting the desired tolerance, simply click on the canvas without dragging. It’s designed to work this way so that you can click and drag if you want to change the tolerance ‘on the fly’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)