You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will you be able to edit Designer files in photo or visa versa?

3qJvY4V.png

I noticed you can add an Affinity designer icon to the toolbar in the photo beta. It currently doesn't do anything but will this eventually allow you to open your current file in Designer or perhaps even more awesome, just switch to Designer view!

Also to what extent will you be able to edit Designer files in photo or visa versa? Will it be like how you can currently embed documents into other documents and editing an embedded file will open up the correct application? I've already tried to put a Designer file in a Photo file and when I clicked on it it I was surprised to find that it opens! Its cool that it opens up in Photo but a little weird that I don't get Designer Tools. I can edit a gradient but some options are missing.

It would be really cool if the tools and windows would just shift to Designer view or Photo view just like persona's do!

3qJvY4V.png

Also to what extent will you be able to edit Designer files in photo or visa versa? Will it be like how you can currently embed documents into other 

I've just opened my AD file in APh and yes as promised it works. Even the lines that were drawn in the vector mode ARE fully editable. :D  :D  :D

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

“Use exactly the same file format between applications”

Excerpt From: “Affinity Review #1.” iBooks.

So how can the same format have different names? Or is it flexible like JPG/JPEG?

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

AD and APh and later on the Publisher also will use one fileformat for the whole suit as they statet earlier on. Yesterday I tried to make some cutouts for testing - and it worked in AD in the pixel persona the perfect same way as in APh. I think the fileformat is a container like PDF with the basics shared over all programs. You can edit aspects from other software parts (AD in APh and vice versa) but every programm has it's special focus where you will need the suitable programm for.

I love this way of editing :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

The file format is identical - the file extension is different ;)  That's simply so that the program that made the file is the one that gets fired up automatically when you double-click it in Finder

Aah! That makes sense.

• Staff

AD and APh and later on the Publisher also will use one fileformat for the whole suit as they statet earlier on. Yesterday I tried to make some cutouts for testing - and it worked in AD in the pixel persona the perfect same way as in APh. I think the fileformat is a container like PDF with the basics shared over all programs. You can edit aspects from other software parts (AD in APh and vice versa) but every programm has it's special focus where you will need the suitable programm for.

I love this way of editing :)

Our file format is nothing like PDF.  It is entirely proprietary and was developed to leverage optimum performance for lower spec platforms.  It's one of the reasons that once you save a large image into our file format it will load very quickly in our apps.  It also has a framework for versioning, and protection against multiple access across shared storage and other saving related issues.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Strange, I can't find this option after I Right+Click to edit the Toolbar's contents...

3qJvY4V.png

I noticed you can add an Affinity designer icon to the toolbar in the photo beta. It currently doesn't do anything but will this eventually allow you to open your current file in Designer or perhaps even more awesome, just switch to Designer view!

StrangeAlso to what extent will you be able to edit Designer files in photo or visa versa? Will it be like how you can currently embed documents into other documents and editing an embedded file will open up the correct application? I've already tried to put a Designer file in a Photo file and when I clicked on it it I was surprised to find that it opens! Its cool that it opens up in Photo but a little weird that I don't get Designer Tools. I can edit a gradient but some options are missing.

It would be really cool if the tools and windows would just shift to Designer view or Photo view just like persona's do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hey peter, yeah I did its not there. I'm running the second beta... in any case, if its not functional, i don't need it on my UI...

I would LOVE the idea of staying in the same App and switching to Designer view within AP. I wrote a post about it a while back... but didn't get much traction... hopefully once all 3 apps in the Affinity Sweet (no typo, heh heh..) are out...

Hi ronnieb, 

when you were in the customise toolbar menu, did you scroll all the way down?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 4 months later...

I have an issue: somewhere along the way, in the 'get info' window of an affinity designer file I edited the default app ('change all') - now all affinity files (designer and photo) open in designer only.

i.e. if i double click a .afphoto file it opens in designer. Anyone know of a way to get back to files opening in the app that created them?

The file format is identical - the file extension is different ;)  That's simply so that the program that made the file is the one that gets fired up automatically when you double-click it in Finder

No problem cleay, just use again the information panel of the .afphoto-file, change the programm back to AP und click the option below this field to change all files to open again in AP.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried - and .afphoto files do then open in photo once more - but so do .afdesign files.

Basically it seems that whichever the default is set to in any one .afphoto or .afdesign file applies to both.

No problem cleay, just use again the information panel of the .afphoto-file, change the programm back to AP und click the option below this field to change all files to open again in AP.

Allright, stranke cleay. MAybe you can try this:

Go to User -> ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist and open the XML-file. Find the match for the file types and delete them.

Now you should be able to apply again the filetype to AP and AD manually again. But you should be always very careful by manupalting system files ...