You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta for iPad (1.6.7 - Beta 2)

There seems to be a philosophy shift in file management with this beta - and I think I’ve missed something. 

While I like the idea of open in place, I wasn’t aware that I had done so when I opened a jpeg from the files app. 

(Potential bug note: I opened a JPEG in my files app, dropped in some extra layers and quit the app. Later, when trying to open it Photo told me it couldn’t find the original. Maybe files.app deleted the cached version due to low storage space and Photo then had no idea what was going on...)

Anyway, I opened a file and didn’t realise it was an open-in-place file. I thought photo imported it.

Some of my ‘open’ documents seem to live in Photo, some live on-my-iPad in the Photo folder and some live as open-in-place files so are actually wherever I’ve left them in files. However, from Photos browser I can’t tell which are which (and accidentally saved over a file as a result)

Regardless this seems different from the iOS philosophy which is, you don’t need to manage your files but you know where they live. Document browsers in Pages, Numbers etc. are not open but live in the Pages Folder within iCloud Drive. 

Or Procreate where the browser shows files that live in Procreate. 

Im happy to use Photos browser, but I need to know the metaphor we are using. Am I dealing with documents inside Photo, or do they all link somewhere? I’d rather use one or the other and not a mix. Or make it clear with an icon to show where a file lives.

Further, offering Close as an option for documents that live inside the photo app is misleading, as in reality I’m deleting them. 

Is is anyone able to clear up what happens with the files in Photo? Say, creating a file versus opening a JPEG? Where does each live and how should I know?

On 26/12/2017 at 11:55 AM, ReO2 said:

I’ve not seen this reported. On the latest Beta the cloning and healing brush have some erratic behavior. After the click and hold that point won’t stay in place but it follows the pen tool. I went back to the regular build and reloaded the beta with same results...

Thank goodness it's not just me. I'm having the same issue as well. Granted, I noticed it while using the healing brush tool.

Basically, after you set your source area for a healing operation, the crosshairs icon signifying the 'set source area' peramater jumps to wherever the apple pencil is placed. So instead of performing a healing operation, you've now accidentally reset your source area to the blemish spot. And it occurs quite sporadically. Sometimes (almost never) it works as expected, sometimes (mostly) I have to set, and reset the source area 3-5 times before it 'stays put'.

If you put the pencil on the spot you want to use as the source, then touch hold the screen and let go, does the pencil now have the desired source spot? From your description it sounds like it should. If so, this may be a more accurate way to select clone source.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

2 hours ago, DM1 said:

If you put the pencil on the spot you want to use as the source, then touch hold the screen and let go, does the pencil now have the desired source spot? From your description it sounds like it should. If so, this may be a more accurate way to select clone source.

Unfortunately it exhibits the same behaviour. The source spot will become 'unglued' and move to the pencil point (although it certainly IS a more precise way of working, so thanks!)

I have AP for iPad and windows desktop.... I am very happy with the price point and purchase.... I am on both beta programs and I appreciate how hard the developers are working to make improvements!!

BUT...... I have a big problem with this forum and moderators. I have reported 4-5 problems and have submitted files for them to look at. Every time I report a problem the moderators will ask a question and then they disappear never to respond again.

Still happy with the purchase though and I anticipate the bugs being worked out

Hello all!

Question regarding working with masks: Is there any way to display the mask area while drawing? Or to have the masked area displayed with the same type of clarity associated with the 'Refine Masks' tool (without having to actively use the refine mask tool).

A good example would be the implementation of masks in Capture One Pro. You can turn the highlight mode, 'on' 'off' or 'display only when drawing'

Or am I'm simply overlooking an obvious toggle somewhere?

Auch ich habe große Probleme mit dem Stift. Er wechselt viel zu schnell in den Modus farbwähler. Es ist unmöglich auf einen Ebene eine Maske zu bearbeiten, weil der Stift immer die aktuelle Farbe aufnimmt. Das frustriert mächtig. Aber ansonsten läuft alles und es sind einige schicke Neuerungen dabei

On 15.1.2018 at 3:22 AM, GregParris said:

Hallo alle!

Frage zum Arbeiten mit Masken: Gibt es eine Möglichkeit den Maskenbereich während des Zeichnens anzuzeigen? Oder Sie zeigen den maskierten Bereich mit derselben Transparenz an, die mit dem Werkzeug "Masken verfeinern" verknüpft ist (ohne das Maskenwerkzeug für die Verfeinerung aktiv verwenden zu müssen).

Ein gutes Beispiel wäre die Implementierung von Masken in Capture One Pro. Sie können den Hervorhebungsmodus aktivieren, "ein" aus "oder" nur beim Zeichnen anzeigen "

Oder übersehe ich einfach irgendwo einen offensichtlichen Toggle?

gehe In die Ebenen Optionen. Schaue: sichtbar,schützen,Solo. Die Option Solo stellt die Maske in schwarz weiß dar

• Staff

Hi Voxen,

You can set a shortcut for this going to Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section and setting the first dropdown to Photo and the second to Miscellaneous - the item you are looking for is Set Fill to Black and White (5th on the list below). You can then use ⇧ (shift) + X to swap between them.

27 minutes ago, Voxen said:

When painting on a mask with the brush, could you add a quick way to pick black and white colors?

Lets say two direct tiny white and black selectors on the brush panel, below the color picker itself.

Very good suggestion or a shortcut to

Very good suggestion or a shortcut to  to assign by default
black and white color and another one to switch..

26 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Voxen,

You can set a shortcut for this going to Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section and setting the first dropdown to Photo and the second to Miscellaneous - the item you are looking for is Set Fill to Black and White (5th on the list below). You can then use ⇧ (shift) + X to swap between them.

On IPAD ???? Where ?

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Voxen,

Hi MEB,

On iPad ? ;)

4 minutes ago, Voxen said:

Any idea when is scheduled a new beta or release?

The color pick with Apple pencil issue is a show stopper right now, impossible to use AP on iPad until this is fixed.

Indeed, you can not do anything with an apple pencil, because of the color picker :(
not easy to test in this condition.

New beta soon ??

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.