You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using the trial version of Affinity Photo I recognized that AP 1.6 is modifying the embedded metadata on export of a jpeg image. Mainly the MakerNotes have been deleted. This worries me because perhaps I can not show anymore sweep panoramas on my Sony TV. I assume that the slide show function of the TV evaluates certain MakerNotes of an image. However I could not verify that because my trial period was too short and has expired meanwhile :-(

Who of you AP experts have experience with sweep panoramas and can (or cannot) confirm that AP does not affect this function at all?

TIA

It's (sadly) common usage nowadays that every cam vendor does use a custom Exif MakerNote section for own proprietary cam data. For MakerNotes see for example ExifTool MakerNote errors or "the Exif Makernote" here. For a Sony Makernote Format Specification look here.  

For Exif tools in general:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well AP comes along and uses the above mentioned ExifTool for this stuff, that one usually knows very well to deal with MakerNotes too, so it might be more a non optimal AP reference data exchange reference call here. - One can easily check/find out by using ExifTool standalone (the AP supplied and a maybe newer one from the ExifTool website) on the same test images.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well AP comes along and uses the above mentioned ExifTool for this stuff, that one usually knows very well to deal with MakerNotes too ...

Really? From the links you provided in your earlier post, I got the impression that the opposite was true, particularly for Sony Makernotes. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Look closer, the references are from different tools, one is ExifTool the other one is the Exif2 lib. - ExifTool which is part of AP states r/w/c for Sony raw files, see the tool's supported file type table. Also if you don't believe, give it a try!

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Look closer, the references are from different tools, one is ExifTool the other one is the Exif2 lib. - ExifTool which is part of AP states r/w/c for Sony raw files, see the tool's supported file type table.

That is not what I am talking about, which is specifically the content of Makernotes & the potential corruption problems when that has to be moved in the file, as per your http://www.exiv2.org/makernote.html link.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

We had all that discussion recently before if you recall, so I'm not going again into the tech and file format detail discussions for this. Fact is other tools which also rely on ExifTool can also handle this. The only exception may be a brand new cam model with massive/huge changes in the overall structure there, but that's mostly unlikely since that would spoil Sony's own impl concept and be too much trouble for their OEM software manufactors (like C1 etc.).

On 14.12.2017 at 7:26 PM, dino- said:

Using the trial version of Affinity Photo I recognized that AP 1.6 is modifying the embedded metadata on export of a jpeg image. Mainly the MakerNotes have been deleted. This worries me because perhaps I can not show anymore sweep panoramas on my Sony TV. I assume that the slide show function of the TV evaluates certain MakerNotes of an image. However I could not verify that because my trial period was too short and has expired meanwhile :-(

Who of you AP experts have experience with sweep panoramas and can (or cannot) confirm that AP does not affect this function at all?

TIA

Sorry for my double posting on Friday, I am a newbie here … I did not find my posting right away and assumed that forum SW ignored this posting and so I reposted my question.

It seems to me that I have stirred up a hornets’ nest …

hope that in the near future AP preserves SONY makernotes.

On 17.12.2017 at 7:49 PM, v_kyr said:

It's (sadly) common usage nowadays that every cam vendor does use a custom Exif MakerNote section for own proprietary cam data. For MakerNotes see for example ExifTool MakerNote errors or "the Exif Makernote" here. For a Sony Makernote Format Specification look here.  

For Exif tools in general:

Oh boy, a lot of meat to eat ... thank you for your links

Just download an actual ExifTool version and a GUI frontend for it, or use some other actual tool which (re)uses it and try to find out what your Sony TV needs/uses for the panorama previewing. There are chances it doesn't use the makernotes of your cam (BTW which vendor model?).

BTW also take a look into this Dpreview thread here related to Sony TVs.

Guys, BTW, with extreme frustration and a little investigative work... and searching and scouring the web... I HAVE FOUND THE TRUE ANSWER!

I recently bought a Western Digital My Cloud NAS, and yep, the Bravia wasn't displaying most of the jpegs. I compared exif info with the few that was displaying and the ones that were.

Pretty much the ones that were needed a JFIF header, in Adobe sRGB color format, etc, etc.

Just strip the JPEGS of the EXIF info.

REPEAT, JUST STRIP THE JPEGS OF EXIF INFO!!!

I was down to the last hair on my head.

Not sure on that, but you can give it a try!

14 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Just download an actual ExifTool version and a GUI frontend for it, or use some other actual tool which (re)uses it and try to find out what your Sony TV needs/uses for the panorama previewing. There are chances it doesn't use the makernotes of your cam (BTW which vendor model?).

Thank you for your posting

It is a SONY Bravia  KDL 46W905A

BTW  i asked Sony Germany support which EXIF parts are absolutely necessary for sweep panorama ... their mantra: an edited image is perhaps not displayed ... but not more infos ... missing expertise or SONY secret ?

after the holidays I will take a closer look with EXIFtool 

12 hours ago, dino- said:

It is a SONY Bravia  KDL 46W905A 

I did some quick tests … big surprise … without any EXIF info the sweep panorama is displayed on the Bravia TV if the image size is 4912x1080 … however the sweep direction is not correct, is always to the right … and in case of not complete sweeps the cropped parts of the panorama are displayed greyed … i.e. the panorama full width and height  of Sony MakeNotes are probably dispensable … but obviously not panorama direction, panorama crob etc. … so AP should leave the MakerNotes untouched … more testing required for other image sizes