You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How does Publisher's persona feature work?

Curiosity is building up. I am all ears to the answer, but I think what we saw was an early tease. I'm sure explanations will be heard when the product reaches beta. For now, I'm sure the remaining details need to stay a secret until more is revealed. Bummer.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

@KipV Do you really expect to get insights about the UI layout of an early prototype stage software? - I mean things might still change and be rearranged x-times in that one, so what do you expect them to tell you now. :)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

@KipV Do you really expect to get insights about the UI layout of an early prototype stage software? - I mean things might still change and be rearranged x-times in that one, so what do you expect them to tell you now. :)

Yes, I do expect some explanation since they made it public. It is no longer a secret if they make it public. I don't know if the current unveiling says much. Almost all of the Publisher features can already be done in Photo and/or Designer, Quark and/or InDesign. The main feature (only feature?) Quark/ID can't do is live blending modes. I guess it is ok that they are catching up and it is nice that some of these features will make it to Photo/Designer (visible bleeds for an example.) If they are really going to release a beta in 6 months I don't know how much time they can have to make massive feature adjustments. They also have to get touch Designer iPad and a DAM tool which would pressingly limit their time. If they do another delay I can't see anyone taking them serious in this area, I already don't to be honest in a ways.

Referring to the usual vague Serif replies here in the forum to those things, I doubt you will get the detailed satisfactory answers you are looking for. Instead it will be like always, patiently waiting and see how (many) time goes by.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Obviously, I have no insider information. However, when I saw those "persona"-like icons at the top left of the window, my interpretation was that they were something along the lines of (i) Edit in Publisher (the "main" persona); and (ii) Edit in Designer/Photo. My best guess is that the Edit In... personae apply to specific page elements, similar to the way one can edit embedded documents in a Photo file.

Speculation, only!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

As I think about this, it occurs to me that the Personas (personae?) in Affinity Photo are really just a palatable way to put the User into a Modal state - a process that must be either finished or abandoned before further work can be done. It's no surprise, I assume, that most of the Personas have a "Commit" and a "Cancel" button, in the same way that a modal dialog on my Mac has an "OK" and a "Cancel" button. i.e., once you've entered that particular persona (whether it's a new HDR, Panorama, liquification of a layer, or tone mapping) you have to finish your work and Commit it to the document before you can do anything else.

I suppose this makes sense in a flow-chart sort of way. The processes that go on in the Personas (other than the Photo persona) are generally of a type that (i) are destructive, in the sense that they cannot be edited further; and (ii) make no sense to perform half-way.

What type of process would be non-interruptable in a page layout application? I can't think of one offhand, but if you can then maybe you can identify a need for more than one Persona in Publisher!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I think an ebook persona would be one. Both Quark (1985) and ID (1999) predate ebooks (and modern versions of tablets and smart phones) by quite a number of years so the original developers didn't have a chance to think about this type of workflow. They may be a better way to do it then they way they are currently doing it.

I don't know how far Serif wants to get into the web development category; it probably makes sense to split that off into a separate app if they made a Dreamweaver like tool. I don't know tons about web development but it seems like the differences are still substantial over other layout.

I would also like to know if Publisher is project based like Quark or just only file at a time like ID. I strongly prefer Quark's approach. My layout projects are grouped together and I finder needing to go to the Finder to find ID files is a much more cumbersome approach then having all the project files readily available in open tabs.

34 minutes ago, KipV said:

What I mean is when you scroll down the blend mode menu it updates the effect immediately. This is a great time saver and I haven't seen the feature on anything other then Affinity.

The blend modes in Q are both live and non-destructive.

As to how great a time-saver it is would depend upon what one does day in, day out in a layout application.

The blending modes don't function live when I try them. Not sure why that is. When I discussed this with Martin it sounded like he wasn't aware of Quark being able to do that. If Publisher doesn't competitive with features like projects (and other things) I would find little use it using it. ID just recently caught up with end notes so they already have a competitor gaining around on them.

With the image selected, add a color like cyan to the frame itself. You won't notice any change. Open the Image editing palette. Select the drop down for the modes and use your keyboard to move from one to the other.

If projects aren't available it's not a real show-stopper for me. I'll still use it as it develops for some work. My biggest bugaboo will be the lack of commercial plug-ins. Hopefully there will at least be scripting.

15 hours ago, KipV said:

Yes, I do expect some explanation since they made it public. It is no longer a secret if they make it public.

But what exactly have they made public? On FB they literally say this is merely "a sneak peek of an early alpha build of Affinity Publisher" & that they "still have lots to do." They have made it very clear they are not 'unveiling' anything, just demonstrating that they are "not making the whole thing up."

How much more of an explanation do you expect than that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

How much more of an explanation do you expect than that?

I agree, it would be very foolish to read too much into that.

Although, an early access into the alpha version of the product would be super cool.

I think that a lot of good feedback on features that work and features that might be tweaked coming from the community would be super beneficial to the developers.

Text Styles would be one area that might benefit greatly from that feedback. We've been at for for more that 30 years so we know a thing or two about that.

This is just one example of course and there will be many others.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Although, an early access into the alpha version of the product would be super cool.

I think that a lot of good feedback on features that work and features that might be tweaked coming from the community would be super beneficial to the developers.

I think that as it is there has been no shortage of feedback about the features people want or expect Publisher to have! xD

But more than that, at the alpha stage a lot of features simple won't have been coded at all, or will still need quite a bit of work before they will work, even partially. The developers don't need the distraction of feedback about that, or the inevitable mile-long list of things various users consider "must haves" that won't be implemented until much later versions have gone through the alpha, beta, & release stages of development.

There is also another issue to consider, that being tipping off the competition prematurely about features or unique implementations the product might have by the time it reaches the public beta stage.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeah, that's me. Low expectations and a warped sense of success. Ya got me there, Kip.

I think I know where I went all wrong. I actually took TonyB's post literally. Damn him anyway. Next time I'll just assume he is deceiving me and think, damn, what a crappie video and write little demanding posts like you.

More seriously, I have an installed alpha of another company's software right now. There are some neat things that are working, other things that I can only guess what their utility is for because they don't really work but are available in the UI. And there are things that I can tell are being built in but absolutely don't do anything.

And of all those things, some likely won't be ready for release. Some that do work may not even make it to release.

What exactly should that company do? Create a promo video of things that don't work? r don't work properly? Or may not make the cut at first release or at all?

The basics as shown in the APub video and some of the apparent global type of things look interesting to me. But, I am a simpleton with low expectations after all.