You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sooo excited to see this!!!!! PUBLISHER!!!!

5 minutes ago, Herojas93 said:

I want to test the beta right now!!!!

In the description for the same teaser on the official Affinity channel, it says:

Affinity Publisher sneak peek! Just to prove we're not making the whole thing up, check out this early build of our DTP app. Still lots of perfecting to do; expect the beta next summer...

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When it says "check out", it simply means "take a look at". Or are you asking about something else? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What delicious candy! At last, an alternative to InDesign with easy functionality (assuming). I noticed that the main toolbar looks very similar to the one in Designer. I was hoping it would have those transform buttons too. Nice. I also noticed that the personas are the different Affinity applications. I'm curious to see how that works out. I am so happy to see even an early look.

6 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

all this is very exciting !!!

The only real concern is "compatibility" with InDesign files ... having a historical archive and having to rebuild it all is frustrating

Judging from the compatibility of .ai and .psd files, I'm guessing it will work fine for the most part. The only issues I've had with compatibility is if something was bleeding off a page, or if there were live paint layers.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

3 hours ago, Filo63 said:

all this is very exciting !!!

The only real concern is "compatibility" with InDesign files ... having a historical archive and having to rebuild it all is frustrating

I might be the only one here, but I'm actually looking forward to re-building my layouts from scratch ... some of my templates are ten years and older, they have been changed, updated, extended and fiddled around with regularly, but starting afresh and modernising how the styles and master pages work while dumping some of the old workarounds and ballast, will be a wonderful breath of fresh air and speed up my workflow even more than just a blazingly fast (just assuming here) software.

I recently finished an 8.5" x 8.5" children's book with full bleed illustrations on every page... the AD files was 1.8GB. All the 300dpi RGB files were obviously embedded/placed as Affinity doesn't support linking files yet... but you know what, AD pans and zooms with zero delays, it's incredible.. Just thinking about having a file like that on InDesign or Illustrator gives me a headache...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hereeee comes Publisher!...Wow, having decades of using Pagemaker, Quarkxpress and InDesigner for the newspaper, I wonder what will be the next big thing. What I like in InDesign are creating tables that I can manipulate the stroke's width/color, fill.., the data merge.., the scripts... I wish Publisher have these :P 

Well it looks nice...    it seems as if the integration of publisher, photo and designer will be much smoother and tighter as it ever was in Photoshop...   now..

thats realy nice.

On the other hand the delay of some further month makes it realy difficult for my company to comunicate it to our employees, why we allready shifted from Photoshop to affinity photo..   it did only make sense when you exchange the whole adobe production bundle..   otherwise, the decision to do so before the releasedate and the funktions of publisher are clear....  could be called... hmm...courageous...

my hope is, that in conjunktion to the release of publisher, affinity photo , designer get an overhault.    they still are great applications.   but their structure clearly is optimised for photografers, or designers with rather smaler projects..  which is great ..  dont missunderstand me.     filesizes are smaler.. the footprint inside of the memory is smaler...     workflow ist smarter...  but for example my company produces often architectural plans and renderings with about   12000 to 12000 pix and about hundret layers. (Architectural visualisations for example) and if you directly compare those using photoshop to affinity Photo ,   Photoshop clearly still winns the game in speed and viewportsmoothness..    you still can move the file without any gap ore any stuttering... affinity works so far, but gets sluggish. 

I want this programm to get better than photoshop..

so my wishlist beside of the arrival of publisher  would be:

• much faster viewportspeed with real big documents
  • linked embedded files (which will come at last for publisher but hopefully also for the other products at that time)
  • the MOST important issu for the whole architectural industry...    is a smooth workflow  ...   using photo combined with cad programms....  we produce eps and pdf files and layer them inside of photoshop so far.   as   "linked and embedded" files, so that in competition we can exchange the dozen of embedded parts of a site plan for example .. on the fly..  and easy.. and fast.. this is what we need on a dayly basis... everything else is fine. but this one feature for architects is the by far most important workflow part..   and we DONT need embedded vektor files...  we want pdfs and eps files get rasterised (if needed as an option)  as with photoshop, to still be able to get pixelselections with the flood select tool, but still linked to the external pdf files..    This is the one and only point the architects in my company do hate me for when i show them  affinity Photo..  the rest they love.
  • be able to additiv make layer-pixel-selections with shortcuts..     when you have dozens of layers ... want to change them in color... just     cmd+shift+left mouse buttton .... click on all those layers after each other and get a combined pixelselection..   its only one missing shortcut that could improve the workflow    ....   soooooooo much..
  • welll   the rest are all minor improvements, like color coding the layers or one-click array several images aside, ore seeing bigger layer thumbnails when needed..   

its allready a great product..    bring in publisher...     it looks promising...   but dont forget those other very very important improvements.. 

greetings

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:54 AM, osang said:

Hereeee comes Publisher!...Wow, having decades of using Pagemaker, Quarkxpress and InDesigner for the newspaper, I wonder what will be the next big thing. What I like in InDesign are creating tables that I can manipulate the stroke's width/color, fill.., the data merge.., the scripts... I wish Publisher have these :P 

The sad thing about InDesign is that it hardly has anything that FileMaker does not. QuarkXPress at least has precision, and FrameMaker has some really good documentation features. PageMaker and Word I can hardly tell apart.